Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 subscription policies

Options
  • 31-08-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all,

(sorry - Title should read '3 subscription policy)

I have recently moved to Denmark. Before I left Ireland, I purchased an '3 Skype phone' for my parents, so that they would be able to contact me via Skype rather than pay costs for international calls. The plan was that I would buy the same phone in Denmark .All well and good. Today I tried to purchase said phone in Denmark, only to be told quite bluntly that they could not sell to me as I ' am not a Danish citizen'. My danish isn't great so I couldn't really pry very far into the reasons but my b''friend has the same phone (he is danish) and reckons the reason may be because they cannot run a credit ceck on me?
    Is this legal? Do we have the same policies in Ireland? To be honest I feel very hard done by, because it seems that because I am not Danish, I am automatically blacklisted.
    I am considering writing to ask 3 Denmark about it, but I wanted to see what you guys think first.

Thanks a lot

Is this correct/legal procedure?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I presume they won't sell you a contract phone incase you fly home on monday...

can you get one on pay as you go , or have your boyfriend take on the contract for you....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

That's quite common. Different companies and countries have different rules. Most companies won't sell a subscription service to non-citizens without an extensive history of working/paying or a hefty deposit.

Some countries also have additional rules on items like phones - IIRC even a pay-as-you-go phone in France requires a French address (though how this squares with the new BIC phone I don't know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

parsi wrote: »

Some countries also have additional rules on items like phones - IIRC even a pay-as-you-go phone in France requires a French address (though how this squares with the new BIC phone I don't know).

When I was buying my pay as you go phone in France they accepted my hotel address as an address.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Good to hear !

I checked it out a few years ago (before roaming became cheaper) and was told that you needed to be a "proper" resident.

In the papers this summer one of the things being said about the bic phone was that there was no need for id etc - it was supposed to launch in august but I didn't see any in Brittany ... http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/11/bic_mobile/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This is perfectly normal I am afraid.

When I did my time in phone companies, people would have to put down a considerable deposit in case they legged it if they were not resident for a certain period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

parsi wrote: »
    Good to hear !

I checked it out a few years ago (before roaming became cheaper) and was told that you needed to be a "proper" resident.

In the papers this summer one of the things being said about the bic phone was that there was no need for id etc - it was supposed to launch in august but I didn't see any in Brittany ... http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/11/bic_mobile/

You just need to be registered with the City Hall and have a Danish bank account.
    Its quite normal in Europe and is nothing to do with being a Danish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Can you not just get your boyfriend to sign you up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Pretty normal, you can do any of the following -

Put a deposit down to cover the cost of the phone (Alot of people buy the phones and sell them abroad)

Lie about your address

Get someone else to buy it for you

Step through the paper work to make it right.

Another option would be to get the contract in Ireland. 3 allow you to use your minutes on their networks abroad like a normal phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

damnyanks wrote: »
    Pretty normal, you can do any of the following -

Put a deposit down to cover the cost of the phone (Alot of people buy the phones and sell them abroad)

Lie about your address

Get someone else to buy it for you

Step through the paper work to make it right.

Another option would be to get the contract in Ireland. 3 allow you to use your minutes on their networks abroad like a normal phone.

Contract you'll need a bill and bank statement to sign up
    PAYG you need ar*e all, just make up an address.

Advertisement