Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

4 x Kentsfield Cores @ 2.4Ghz = 9.6Ghz
    Nope, its still a 2.4Ghz quad core
    Motherboard is crap, psu is crap, ram is crap, no mention of 64bit vista either. Don't waste your money on this

Tell us your budget and we'll spec you a much better pc to suit your needs for less money

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

p-flaps wrote: »
    hi guys, was thinking about buying this pc today from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/QUAD-CORE-9-6Ghz-Q6600-8GB-500GB-GTX260-896MB-GFX_W0QQitemZ120299839024QQihZ002QQcategoryZ179QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

can some kind person please have a look at let me know if its a good buy. pc will be sued for gaming mostly.

from what i understand, the q6600 is grand, the gfx card is grand(?), 8gig ram is pretty nice, that needs vista 64bit am i right?

will the 8gig ram slow the cpu down too much?!

bit of a noob at this so all help is very much appreciated.

thanks

Some vague and rambling comments.

He describes it as 9.6GHz which is misleading and outrightly wrong.

8GB of RAM, so why doesn't he mention the brand or speed of the RAM?
    uses 182W under load.

The motherboard is from Asrock, Asus's cheap line brand and uses a somewhat aged chipset as well.

267e_2.JPG

Look closely and you'll find the case isn't the one like above in the Ebay listing picture either, its this:

CASE_Shinobi.JPG

I've never heard of Shinobi as a manufacturer. Pretty misleading tho. Avoid it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    267e_2.JPG

Look closely and you'll find the case isn't the one like above in the Ebay listing picture either, its this:

I've never heard of Shinobi as a manufacturer. Pretty misleading tho. Avoid it

It also mentions it as being ideal for Prescotts, despite them being retired how long now? Three years or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 p-flaps

sorry guys i was out.

yeh thanks so much for pointing them things out, i would have gone ahead with it.

my budget is 800 or thereabouts inc delivery.

has to be from a site that takes cc or payal so that rules out hwv.

i was thinking 4gig decent ram, q6600, is that 260 gfx card any use? 500 gig hard drive.

i will buy my monitor seperate so wheres good to buy from?!

komplett and ocuk are too dear imo.

thanks guys

ill buy one today if u can get me the right system at the right price.

(btw i knew it was a diff case, i thought the one in the smaller pic looked too cheap anyways)

• Advertisement

That Q6600 is being supplied overclocked at 3.0GHz rather than the stock at 2.4GHz.

It's got a better and more recent board and chipset.

The video card is faster.

The RAM brand isn't mentioned, but at least they specify it's 800MHz, though the Q6600 supports 1066MHz.

The PSU is still a bit weak. I'd aim for 600 to 700W from a reliable company.

cheers mate. i have a newish 600watt psu in this comp that i can just swap over.

gonna go for that one now i think. cheers

**bah was gonna buy there but they dont accept paypal.**

not going through the hassle of credit transfer.. still need help to fins a machine!

cheers

cheers mate. i have a newish 600watt psu in this comp that i can just swap over.

gonna go for that one now i think. cheers

**bah was gonna buy there but they dont accept paypal.**

not going through the hassle of credit transfer.. still need help to fins a machine!

cheers

Have you ruled out building your own? If you do that you don't need to rely on the lottery of someone else choosing the parts.

of course i wouldnt mind building my own, its just that the only good store i have seen is hwv and they dont take cc or paypal as im sure you know.

is there any other decent shops that have competitive prices?

ocuk.co.uk
    komplett.ie

both are a bit expensive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dabs.ie are pretty good price wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Have you thought of trying ankermann-pc.com

They have a decent reputation..

The only one I recommend is this one..
    Standard system (for initial price):
    INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.67GHz | ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI
    NVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB | 750GB SATA2 HDD Samsung
    4GB 800MHz RAM Kingston | LG GH20LS 20x DVD-RW SecurDisc
    Realtek ALC888 7.1 Audio | Gigabit Ethernet LAN DSL Ready

Initial price: €749

Please choose equipment and upgrades:

The rest, with the exception of the quadcore sans graphic card for 329 are generally older and not good value anymore..

The smallish ebay sellers arent so trustworthy, I got a PC off one, the last one he sold before he went out of business. Bigger sites like hardwareversand and ankermann are a lot more trustworthy.

that pc hasnt got a patch on the one with the 4870 from the german ebay site though does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Dabs are not that bad price wise.

This a good Crossfire capable pc.

41lczpchms9kjxhzimbk.jpg

Best value would be got at Hardwareversand.de but you've ruled them out.

I'd avoid the Ebay options, if anything goes wrong or anything in the pc goes kaput you'd be better dealing with a reputable store as all single items have an individual warranty

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Best value would be got at Hardwareversand.de but you've ruled them out.

I'd avoid the Ebay options, if anything goes wrong or anything in the pc goes kaput you'd be better dealing with a reputable store as all single items have an individual warranty

yeh i see what your saying alright.
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Dabs are not that bad price wise.

This a good Crossfire capable pc.

41lczpchms9kjxhzimbk.jpg

yeh thats a nice machine, pretty much what i was looking for. thanks mate.

Advertisement