Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

physics book

Options
  • 31-08-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

is anyone using 'physics now!' by brendan casserly and bernard horgan. it was published in 2000 but the style of the exam has changed since then.
    there must be a better book than this. seems so out of date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I have ''Real World Physics, by Dan O' Regan", which is fairly decent.

I started physics 4 months late, and i managed to get C1 in the 5th summer exam pretty much working by myself, its fairly well laid out and easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Fad wrote: »
    I have ''Real World Physics, by Dan O' Regan", which is fairly decent.

I started physics 4 months late, and i managed to get C1 in the 5th summer exam pretty much working by myself, its fairly well laid out and easy to follow.

I have that book too and it's pretty decent alright. But I joined in March and got a B1 at summer so ha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jay P wrote: »
    I have that book too and it's pretty decent alright. But I joined in March and got a B1 at summer so ha! :D

I hope your eyes fall out for gloating :D

Although no matter how good the book is, it is no substitute for a good teacher, something im sorely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I hope your eyes fall out for gloating :D

Although no matter how good the book is, it is no substitute for a good teacher, something im sorely lacking.

That's true, I've a good teacher but I also got a few grinds off my cousin who has a degree in astrophysics from Cork which certainly helped ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Using real world physics too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

''Real World Physics, by Dan O' Regan"

A good enough book. I mainly used notes from my teacher but when I needed a change of style (or proof that he was right!) I went to that book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

In 5th year we used "Physics Today" by Randall something or other. Small-ish red book. It was shite. Terrible at explaining stuff and left out bits of the course.
    We then switched to "Real World Physics" by Dan O'Regan. It was much much better. Accessible and good at explaining stuff. I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

+1 on the good teacher front. We have a terrible one... :(

Advertisement