Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Electrical Contractors Ireland (NECI)

Options
  • 31-08-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Whatever view you take on this new orginisation their website make for an interesting read.

www.neci.ie

As an ex-electrical contractor I have to say I support them, many small electrical contractors simply will not be around for much longer if they don't do something.

Many electricians and apprentices have been let go simply because their employers could not afford to pay them what Epace was demanding.

I know there are two sides to this story, what do other electricians and contractors think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Personally I've no interest as I am self-employed and operating solely, but I must honestly say that their website is dire in terms of readability.........which might account for lack of response here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Personally I've no interest

The hourly rate of pay for electricians will impact on the pricing of jobs for almost every electrical contractor. Perhaps you are one of the few that will not be affected.

As more electricians find that the reason that they did not get a rise of €1.05 an hour last April was due to the NECI they may suddenly develop an interest too!

The NECI obtained an injunction from the High Court to stop any variations to the Registered Employment Agreement until a full hearing can be heard. In fact they want to renegotiate the entire agreement!!

Following the hearing the Techicinal Engineering & Electrical Union were obviously rattled as they removed all references to “Rouge and Maverick Employers” from their website.

The NECI are taking on the TEEU and EPACE and seem to be winning.
    but I must honestly say that their website is dire in terms of readability.........which might account for lack of response here?

You have a point, the website is a bit amateurish! It was set up in a hurry, but it has succeeded in its aim, which is to unite electrical contractors. They have been rallying the troops with meetings all over the country.

Besides, the website was not designed to reach out to electricians that are looking for more pay. I still think it makes an interesting read!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

fishdog wrote: »
    The NECI are taking on the TEEU and EPACE and seem to be winning.

In your opinion of course :)

Makes a good read alright

In your opinion of course

Well I did say "seem" to be winning. They may have won a battle by stopping a €1.05 increase, but they may still loose the "war".

I guess "stalemate" might be a more accurate description of the current situation. There a reasonable chance of industrial action, as both sides seem entrenched in their positions. Either way I think people on both sides of this agree on one thing: whatever the outcome it will have a massive impact on the entire electrical industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

I think it is clear that the actual pay rise is not the problem for electricial contractors. The real problem is that most contractors have no input into the pay and conditions in the first place.

• Advertisement

I think it is clear that the actual pay rise is not the problem for electricial contractors.
    I think that it is not a problem for the large contractors.
    The real problem is that most contractors have no input into the pay and conditions in the first place.
    I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ginger 1

fishdog wrote: »
    Whatever view you take on this new orginisation their website make for an interesting read.

www.neci.ie

As an ex-electrical contractor I have to say I support them, many small electrical contractors simply will not be around for much longer if they don't do something.

Many electricians and apprentices have been let go simply because their employers could not afford to pay them what Epace was demanding.

I know there are two sides to this story, what do other electricians and contractors think??

At long last there's a new pension,mortality and sick pay scheme availible that was launched a few weeks ago that's complient with the r.e.a with far better benifits and a lot cheaper too. It works on 6.2% of your gross weekly wage. So if you only work 15 hours, you only contribute for your 15 hours worked!Plus €200k life cover,€200 a week benifit for over two years if out sick.It is fully approved by revenue and pensions board and is setting a proper industry standard.

info at www.neci.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I think a pay cut in the current electrical rates are on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ginger 1

sundula wrote: »
    I think a pay cut in the current electrical rates are on the way.

I agree, on the 20 of June the high court will deliver it's verdict on the validity of registered employment aggreement which was negotiated by a hand full of individuals for the entire industry and have had a cosy cartel between them for a long time now.(especialy in the pensions conditions) The current rate is unstainable and has forced massive job losses in an already difficult enviroment.

Advertisement