Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad choices..?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

I am in my 6th year now and am studying
    English
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Ag Science
    Art
    Irish(Pass)
    Maths(Pass)
    and am also doing LCVP...

Last year I did a year of Music, but because it took up so much time(3 evenings a week going to music class and practise) I dropped it and am now doing Ag Science in 1 year...

Some of my friends have told me that I'm doing the most impossible sounding Leaving Cert, but I didn't realise that until they mentioned it...

Any advice..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Im doing:
    (*=Pass)
    Irish
    English
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Religion
    Maths*

Its seems like a helluva lot but its really not that bad.
    Ignore whoever told you itll be tough and get on with it, it more than likely wont be at all bad.

And by all accounts, Ag Science is on of the easiest subjects, so dont worry about it.
    You're doing 2 pass subjects so they wont require massive amounts of work.
    And id imagine try and leave whatever time you have for your art projects, solely for art theyre insanely time consuming (from what ive heard)

What kind of points are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    English
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Ag Science
    Art
    Irish(Pass)
    Maths(Pass)

Last year I did a year of Music, but because it took up so much time(3 evenings a week going to music class and practise) I dropped it and am now doing Ag Science in 1 year...

Some of my friends have told me that I'm doing the most impossible sounding Leaving Cert, but I didn't realise that until they mentioned it...

Any advice..?

What makes it so impossible? It looks perfect to me. Art does tae a lot of time and is very hard to get an A. Biology and Ag Science tie in a lot together. Pass Irish and pass maths and LCVP are handy enough. I have heard that Chemistry is pretty tough though. Although, in fairness, there is no easy subject in the Leaving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cellardoor36

if you didn't realise then it's not impossible. one very good piece of advice in sixth year is not to listen to what any other students etc are saying (obviously listen to your teachers!). its very easy to be led astray by what you decide to study, what's apparently going to come up on the exam etc, even what course you're going to do. focus on yourself this year; if you're happy with what/how you're doing, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

get new friends

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

English
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Ag Science
    Art
    Irish(Pass)
    Maths(Pass)

They are pretty spread out HL Subjects.Nothing is impossible and I think you are doing pass on the hardest subjects.You will do grand.Just work hard.

• Advertisement

Biology
    Ag Science

Isnt there something about not being allowed to combine those two for points.

Edit:Never mind.I thinks its just for some Uni metric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Fad wrote: »

yeah that used to be the case but i think it changed with the new biology syllabus

nd yeah there is a restriction for matriculation on some courses so check out the individual courses that will be on your cao form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Thanks for the advice. I didn't hear anything about not being allowed to combine certain subjects, but I'll definately look into it. Also, this friend of mine repeated LC, doing Ag in 1 year and got an A1, offered me all his notes and project work to look over.

I'm going for Veterinary btw and am willing to repeat or go abroad...

Thanks for the advice. I didn't hear anything about not being allowed to combine certain subjects, but I'll definately look into it. Also, this friend of mine repeated LC, doing Ag in 1 year and got an A1, offered me all his notes and project work to look over.

I'm going for Veterinary btw and am willing to repeat or go abroad...

Do you really need to do LCVP? Its seems relatively easy but is it in anyway worth the time you'll put into it, seeing as you more than likely wont use it for points.

Do you really need to do LCVP? Its seems relatively easy but is it in anyway worth the time you'll put into it, seeing as you more than likely wont use it for points.

Well our principal was one of the people who set up the programme and she srongly advises that everyone does it... She'll treat me better during the year, and she won't allow study classes to go on for people who don't do LCVP. They are forced to do SPHE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im doing

Maths
    English
    Irish
    Chemistry
    French
    Biology
    History

id definetly switch hitory and chemistry given the chance.
    historys interesting but the essay writitng is killing me and chemistry just flies over my head.

Well our principal was one of the people who set up the programme and she srongly advises that everyone does it... She'll treat me better during the year, and she won't allow study classes to go on for people who don't do LCVP. They are forced to do SPHE.

Wouldnt wasting time with SPHE be better than wasting your time with LCVP.

You could make the arguement that, your a fairly academic student, doing fairly academic subjects and that you really cant see any point in doing a Vocational Leaving Cert Programme.

(I dont know all the ins and outs of the LCVP, so im not too sure of the worth/content of it, but its what I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It's worth doing LCVP if you need the points. That's about it.

Edite: Well, in fairness, I suppose it can be useful for learning about job applications and such and such. I don't actually do it, I'm just going bu what I've been told.

im doing

Maths
    English
    Irish
    Chemistry
    French
    Biology
    History

historys interesting but the essay writitng is killing me and chemistry just flies over my head.

I was going to a study centre last year for Chemistry, and found it really ****- went over my head too. I got a few grinds off my brother's friend who has a degree in Chemistry during the summer and I'd really recommend it because he explained everything as a whole, not just in tiny random segments.
    Yeah, History looks like a bitch of a subject, I was going to do it, but only got a C in the JC so I just left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

im doing

Maths
    English
    Irish
    Chemistry
    French
    Biology
    History

historys interesting but the essay writing is killing me and chemistry just flies over my head.
    we're doing all the same subjects ;)
    +1 on the History front, I wish I'd done Geography!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Up until 2003 you weren't allowed to do both. From 2004 onwards, it's been allowed.

Up until 2003 you weren't allowed to do both. From 2004 onwards, it's been allowed.

You cant combine them at all for any sort of biologically related science or Medicine in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

English
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Ag Science
    Art
    Irish(Pass)
    Maths(Pass)

Any advice..?

It's grand. Provided you like science (there's plenty of that there) and are prepared to work hard you'll do fine. There's no point picking up "easier" subjects if you don't have an interest in them. You're motivation will probably promptly disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I think that's physics/chemistry can't be combined with physics and chemsitry.
    Probably also a uni metriculation thingy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

phasers wrote: »
    we're doing all the same subjects ;)
    +1 on the History front, I wish I'd done Geography!
    im good at history it just annoys me a bit nowadays.ive a strong hatred for parnell.god i hate him!
    I was going to a study centre last year for Chemistry, and found it really ****- went over my head too. I got a few grinds off my brother's friend who has a degree in Chemistry during the summer and I'd really recommend it because he explained everything as a whole, not just in tiny random segments.
    Yeah, History looks like a bitch of a subject, I was going to do it, but only got a C in the JC so I just left it.

i get some of it but my memory isnt great for stuff im not interested in aswll.im good at history like ive never gotten lower then a c in it ath higer level and only a's at junior but its just a lotta hassel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

im doing

irish*
    english
    maths (pass)
    geography*
    biology*
    economics
    spanish

* i have terrible teachers for these, and i'm not just saying this because i'm failing, i'm not no thanks to my teachers,i got B's in them all for the JC, you have no idea how bad they are..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

im good at history it just annoys me a bit nowadays.ive a strong hatred for parnell.god i hate him!

don't say his name near me! He was the first big key personality we did. The man just wouldn't die! the chapter went on forever :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 for-why?

phasers wrote: »
    don't say his name near me! He was the first big key personality we did. The man just wouldn't die! the chapter went on forever :eek:

+1 on that! as far as im concerned parnell is the devil! :p

but you seem to have a very good mix of subjects. it seems like a long list at first but then you've cut out alot of slog by doing pass maths and irish and so you can give your all to the ones your best at.

It's grand. Provided you like science (there's plenty of that there) and are prepared to work hard you'll do fine. There's no point picking up "easier" subjects if you don't have an interest in them. You're motivation will probably promptly disappear.

I do like Science, and I am picking up Ag Science because I heard that it's easy for points, but I think I have a fair idea of a lot of it because my Dad's a vet. Unlike music, I can also get help off him because he did it for 2 years in college before Veterinary.

I should probably be studying right now instead of wasting my time on this thing...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

History is good imho. Obviously the course is so f**king huge that you'll dislike some parts intensely and like others. The course is too big tbh but hopefully we'll get it right on the night. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Chiefbrody,

Ag is very do-able in one year. I took it up at start of 6th year and got an A1.

Not so sure about the LCVP thing though.....seems like a waste of study time. Try and get out of it if you can!

Chiefbrody,

Ag is very do-able in one year. I took it up at start of 6th year and got an A1.

Not so sure about the LCVP thing though.....seems like a waste of study time. Try and get out of it if you can!

Yeah, I agree with you. The principal though, plus they'd be at my mother aswell(who is a teacher in the school..). I'm thinking it could at least cover for me if French goes arseways...

I've decided that if it ever starts to cut into my study time I'll drop it- but it hasn't yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Well my choices are:
    Maths
    Irish*
    English
    German
    Physics
    Technology
    Geography
    Applied Maths (Still have to ask about it)
    LCVP
    I'm thinking of doing the Russian exam for the cert.

(*-Ordinary Level)

Well I know Technology is sort of difficult because this is the second year of it being available as a Leaving Certificate subject. I love all my choices, otherwise.

Is it possible to teach yourself Applied Maths then take the Leaving Cert Applied Maths exam?

On topic: I don't see anything wrong with those subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Are you a native Russian speaker? If so I'd strongly recommend doing the Russian paper, a lot of minority-languages have a really high A1 rate because it's mainly native speakers that take it. It could really help you points-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Piste wrote: »
    Are you a native Russian speaker? If so I'd strongly recommend doing the Russian paper, a lot of minority-languages have a really high A1 rate because it's mainly native speakers that take it. It could really help you points-wise.
    I am indeed a native Russian speaker. And am fluent at it. I have done a few sample past papers and totally annihilated them.

Advertisement