Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled migrant visa

Options
  • 31-08-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Been seriously thinking about going to work and travel in Australia for a couple of years. However, I turn 31 in a few weeks and can no longer apply for the working holiay visa. Girlfriend is 27 so she still has time on her side. I do however satisfy the requirements for the skilled migrants, (engineering degree and 5 plus years experience). If I apply through this route do I have to show evidence I am actively looking for engineering work or can I in theory just do whatever job I can get? For the first year at least I would to travel around Australia so do not want to commit to a very serious job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well Khan

Depends on which visa you go for

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
    A permanent visa for people with skills in demand in the Australian labour market. Applicants are not sponsored and must pass a points test.
    Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)
    A permanent visa for people unable to meet the Skilled – Independent pass mark. Applicants must be either sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or nominated by a participating State or Territory government. Applicants must pass a points test lower than that for the Skilled – Independent visa.
    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
    A three (3) year provisional visa for people who can meet the lower pass mark for this visa. Applicants must be either sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia or nominated by a participating state/territory government. After living for two (2) years and working for at least one (1) year in a Specified Regional Area, applicants can apply for a permanent visa.
    Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)
    An 18 month temporary visa for graduates of recognised overseas educational institutions who have skills in demand in Australia. There is no points test for this visa.

The Skilled – Independent (Migrant) visa (subclass 175)
    This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have good English language skills and have skills and qualifications in an occupation in need in Australia.
    This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
    You do not require sponsorship to apply for this visa.
    Who is this visa for?
    This visa is for you if you:
    • are under 45 years of age
    • have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
    The SOL is a list of skilled occupations that are in need in Australia. Each occupation listed on the SOL is allocated a points value for use in the visa assessment process.

So you could travel to Australia on visa (subclass 175) travel round a while before working .

Hope this helps a bit .

Drop by the site and let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Khan77 wrote: »
    Been seriously thinking about going to work and travel in Australia for a couple of years. However, I turn 31 in a few weeks and can no longer apply for the working holiay visa. Girlfriend is 27 so she still has time on her side. I do however satisfy the requirements for the skilled migrants, (engineering degree and 5 plus years experience). If I apply through this route do I have to show evidence I am actively looking for engineering work or can I in theory just do whatever job I can get? For the first year at least I would to travel around Australia so do not want to commit to a very serious job.

You can apply for a WHV up until you turn 31. You then have a year to use it. I turned 31 in July but got my WHV in April. It means I have until April 2009 to get to Oz, the visa does not start until you enter the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Khan77

Thanks, I just got that sorted today so I have the Visa and all applied for so hopefully this time next year I'll be out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

Thanks, I just got that sorted today so I have the Visa and all applied for so hopefully this time next year I'll be out there!!

sorry m8, which visa did u go 4 if u don't mind....i am looking to go back myself, i have alraedy used my 1st working visa...same as yourself,engineer 3 yrs experience....

any1 know a way or type of visa in order to get back......really only wanna go bk for 2 years.....the migrant thing from what i have heard is very expensive and time consuming...any1 point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

eamog1888 wrote: »
    sorry m8, which visa did u go 4 if u don't mind....i am looking to go back myself, i have alraedy used my 1st working visa...same as yourself,engineer 3 yrs experience....

any1 know a way or type of visa in order to get back......really only wanna go bk for 2 years.....the migrant thing from what i have heard is very expensive and time consuming...any1 point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance!!!:cool:

Your best bet is to have a Australian company sponsor you... Otherwise its that expensive route for you.

• Advertisement

I eneded up getting the 18-30 working holiday visa. Didn't realise i only had to apply for it up to the age of 30+ 12 months i.e before 31st birthday. I looked into getting a skilled migrant visa, if I was paying for it myself it would hve cost iic $4000 Aus unless you can get sponsored visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I applied for the WHV in April and got it JUST before I turned 31, so have until next April 21st to go. The clock is ticking. I was thinking I'd be an old man over there on that visa, but seems I'm not the only one..I might see ye out there.Have any of ye (the older people..) sussed out getting "real" jobs when ye go, rather than just going on the piss and picking apples....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

What do you work as?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

i'm an engineer came to australia on a tourist visa, liked it, got a working holiday 417 and stayed towards the end of that a company sponsored me on a 457 during visa i applied for my 175 (general skilled permanent residency) and used 12months work expierence in australia (more if its outside australia) then after last 12 months on that 4 years in the country overall i've now gotten my australian passport!!

the 175 doesnt cost 4-5k if you do it yourself its or was $2060 + $250 to get degree recongised + $250 for medical good bit of paperwork but easy enough to do yourslef i even added my girldfriend as de facto and we had the bear 12months while it was been processed and it was approved no bother everyone i spoke to say i needed a solictor to do this as its complicated.

read the guidlines over and over again and you'll miss nothing, references must incliude 5 main duties, amout of employess salary names numbers address of company and more its important to get this stuff right the first time make sure you miss nothing and you'll be grand!

there is a bit of paperwork to get together for it but its just time consuming not difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

k974 wrote: »

the 175 doesnt cost 4-5k if you do it yourself its or was $2060 + $250 to get degree recongised + $250 for medical good bit of paperwork but easy enough
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm#a

what is the deal with teh 2nd instalment .. do you have to pay for it again in future? or ...?

• Advertisement

What do you work as?

would hope to get work as a technical writer, but not sure if a WHV would allow me this...

I don't think it matters what sort of work you do on a WHV, the main problem is you can only do any one job for a max of six months so it may be difficult to get a skilled job with a company. To be honest I'm just looking to travel and work as I go along so not too worried if I just end up working in a bar or something. K974, what sort of work did you get that made a company want to sponsor you? If you are sponsored by a company I take it you are still reponsible for paying your visa costs or do your place of work pay it?

suppose if it came to it, I would work in a bar, but how would you get your "foot in the door" so to speak...as in eventually get a decent job, when the WHV ran out...you asked the same Q there Khan77...

You can get sponsored by recruitment agencies also if your looking for a longer than the 6 months from the WHV.

http://www.gnjobs.com.au/temporary-permanent-employment.html#perm

Criteria for Sponsorship:
    ● You are seeking work in an area of skills shortage.
    ● You have a degree or higher qualification and/or 5 years relevant experience in your profession.
    ● You are available to work for at least four months.

● You earn $32 per hour inclusive of Superannuation ($57,250 annually) for a non IT role across a 38 hour
    week.
    OR
    ● You earn $44 per hour inclusive of Superannuation ($78,400 annually) for an IT role across a 38 hour week.

● You have a clean visa.
    ● You can pay a Government Fee of $240, an X-ray fee of $100 and also have Health Insurance (repatriation and
    emergency cover).

thats me bollixt! only have 2 yrs experience in the area id like to get into, but it is on the skills shortage list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can get sponsored by recruitment agencies also if your looking for a longer than the 6 months from the WHV.

http://www.gnjobs.com.au/temporary-permanent-employment.html#perm

No you can't, this was abolished in OCT 2007, and NEVER EVER go with Geoffrey Nathan, worst company ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

I don't think it matters what sort of work you do on a WHV, the main problem is you can only do any one job for a max of six months so it may be difficult to get a skilled job with a company. To be honest I'm just looking to travel and work as I go along so not too worried if I just end up working in a bar or something. K974, what sort of work did you get that made a company want to sponsor you? If you are sponsored by a company I take it you are still reponsible for paying your visa costs or do your place of work pay it?

construction engineer 2 companies sponsored me actually left the first job after 6 months and started the 2nd then. they paid for it. lots of companies will sponsor you the 6month rule too isnt really applied unless your working for a big company like a bank or someone who employes a lot of 12 monther a lot of companies arent aware. which is no problem once you dont write down that you did this on any subsequent application. its only approx 500 to get sponsored plus approx 150 for the xray

there is no 2nd installament if its just yourself applying for a 175

if your irish have a qualfiction and expierence there is no need for a solictioor to do your visa you only need that if you from a high risk country, no the proper qualifications/exp broke a visa before criminal record defacto etc etc you only really need them when its not a striagh forward case

hussey wrote: »
    No you can't, this was abolished in OCT 2007, and NEVER EVER go with Geoffrey Nathan, worst company ever.

Didn't know that mate. Maybe they should take it off their website then. Wasn't going to go with them anyway, doesn't look like they have many IT jobs. Can you recommend any good agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

hussey wrote: »
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm#a

what is the deal with teh 2nd instalment .. do you have to pay for it again in future? or ...?

You only have to pay the 2nd instalment if you can't satisfy their english proficiency requirements and then the 2nd instalment is used to pay for english classes when you get there.
    We just got our 175 visa for the whole family in July and didn't have to pay the 2nd amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hey how long did it take for the 175 visa process take from lodge of application to decision?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Sorry if I sound slow (and all help is appreciated) . .

Step 1) apply for recognition of qualifications to relevant assessment board (I'm in IT so its the ACS) - I forward them my college transcripts and a letter from each employer since college details my job spec. ($200 fee)

Step 2) Once I have the receipt number I can apply for my 175 visa including the receipt number - as I am Irish with an Irish passport I only pay the first installment of A$2105. I have to include a doctors bill of clean health including chest xray?

Step 3) I wait around for about 6 months until they say yes or no

Step 4) I move to OZ and get me a job

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Hey how long did it take for the 175 visa process take from lodge of application to decision?

My application for the visa was lodged at the end of February 2008 and was granted last week, so 8 months in total.. This was after getting skills assessed initially though and getting all the paperwork together.. Can take a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I am already on a 457 visa and being living in Australia for 4 years, Applied to the Trades reconition about a month ago they say usually takes 20 working days so I am waiting every day to get the receipt, I have the form filled out and all the paperwork ready to go, got my $2105 so am ready to rock any day. Just hope that it comes through before Aug 17 next year thats when my 457 runs out.

Advertisement