Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can we do?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

hey,
    mods if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it,i wasnt sure where to put it.
    myself and my boyfriend and son went on holidays to spain on wednesday, to cut a long story short,the place was a complete kip and we made the decision to come home early.
    we rang up the airline and after many very expensive phone calls to them we managed to get a change of flight.
    the only problem was, we didnt have a credit card,my boyfriends mom who lives in america agreed for us to use her credit card to pay for the flights,we were going to transfer the money into her account as soon as we got home.
    she agreed the fare of 540 euro for the tickets home,the price we were told also on the phone by the airline,this was suppossedly all inclusive. she agreed over the phone for them to debit her credit card with 540 euro. however we got home last night i checked my email and found an email from the airline of the bill to the amount of 844 euro.
    they basically took 844 euro from her credit card instead of the agreed 540 euro.
    we are struggling enough for money as it is without this extra 300 euro on top, we cannot believe they have done this.
    is there anything we can do?
    thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Your mother could request a charge back from her credit card company, although unless you recorded the call, I've no idea how you could prove you were quoted a lower price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Provided you've exhausted all avenues with the company in question then I would suggest you report it to your credit card company and follow whatever disputes procedure they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm unclear on something....

You paid for an all inclusive holiday i assume, as in incl return flights? If you don't have the money then why fork out over 500 on flights just so you can come home early?

As for the extra charge, i would contact the airline and my credit card company ASAP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm also confused, surely you could have stayed for the rest of the holiday and saved yourself the extra return flight fee's, especially given your unlikely to get money back on the holiday itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

leesmom wrote: »
    hey,
    mods if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it,i wasnt sure where to put it.
    myself and my boyfriend and son went on holidays to spain on wednesday, to cut a long story short,the place was a complete kip and we made the decision to come home early.
    we rang up the airline and after many very expensive phone calls to them we managed to get a change of flight.
    the only problem was, we didnt have a credit card,my boyfriends mom who lives in america agreed for us to use her credit card to pay for the flights,we were going to transfer the money into her account as soon as we got home.
    she agreed the fare of 540 euro for the tickets home,the price we were told also on the phone by the airline,this was suppossedly all inclusive. she agreed over the phone for them to debit her credit card with 540 euro. however we got home last night i checked my email and found an email from the airline of the bill to the amount of 844 euro.
    they basically took 844 euro from her credit card instead of the agreed 540 euro.
    we are struggling enough for money as it is without this extra 300 euro on top, we cannot believe they have done this.
    is there anything we can do?
    thanks for any help

Are you sure she didnt think it was 540 DOLLARS she was paying ? 540 euros would be around 850 dollars afaik, depending on her cards exchange rate.

You won't get anything off the Holiday operator either as you didn't even complain or let them offer you an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

craichoe wrote: »
    Are you sure she didnt think it was 540 DOLLARS she was paying ? 540 euros would be around 850 dollars afaik, depending on her cards exchange rate.

You won't get anything off the Holiday operator either as you didn't even complain or let them offer you an alternative.

540.00 USD = 368.864 EUR

540.00 EUR = 790.555 USD

Maybe she did think it was 540$ instead of euro, good chance of this anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Cabaal wrote: »
    540.00 USD = 368.864 EUR

540.00 EUR = 790.555 USD

Maybe she did think it was 540$ instead of euro, good chance of this anyway

Aye, with XE.com, but the actualy exchange rate you get with a CC provider is alot worse.

craichoe wrote: »
    Aye, with XE.com, but the actualy exchange rate you get with a CC provider is alot worse.

this is true alright,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What was so bad about the resort? Why didn't you ring the tour operator and demand to be moved to another hotel if it was THAT bad that you had to come home early?

btw for future holidays, check out the reputation of the hotel on tripadvisor.com it is a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

we got it sorted, turns out they had added the fare going out and thefare coming back together and emailed me the total,id paste it up here if all my personal details werent included.
    the reason we had to come home was the place was a ****hole,the apartment was in the middle of an industrial estate type thing in a rough area,we rented the apartment off a couple we didnt know.
    our 1 year old was very unhappy there,cryed non stop from when we got there till we got home when he was back to himself again.we couldnt have possibly kept him over there.anyway lesson learned,wont be doing that again

• Advertisement
Advertisement