Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glass baby bottles

• 31-08-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a retailer in Ireland that sells glass baby bottles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MMW

Hi,

I got mine about 4 years ago in roches-god I miss them. I think I saw them in mothercare at the time aswell. And I'm 99% sure I saw them in the late night chemist on the Douglas Road.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Are there advantages to using them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

"Are there advantages to using them?"

Arguably, yes.

Recent research has demonstrated that plastic baby bottles may pose a health risk to infants, not to mention the negative environmental impact they make.

I'll be nursing our son when he arrives (I'm now 6 days overdue), however I'd like to express milk when he's a bit older so that my husband and 17 year old daughter are able to feed him sometimes, too. I won't do this though, unless I can find glass bottles, which I've been unable to find yet here in Ireland.

I've been able to find a few shops selling BPA-free bottles, I would just prefer to steer entirely clear of plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

shell42970 wrote: »
    "Are there advantages to using them?"

Arguably, yes.

Recent research has demonstrated that plastic baby bottles may pose a health risk to infants, not to mention the negative environmental impact they make.

I'll be nursing our son when he arrives (I'm now 6 days overdue), however I'd like to express milk when he's a bit older so that my husband and 17 year old daughter are able to feed him sometimes, too. I won't do this though, unless I can find glass bottles, which I've been unable to find yet here in Ireland.

I've been able to find a few shops selling BPA-free bottles, I would just prefer to steer entirely clear of plastic.

Hey shell, sorry for high jacking your thread.. Just want to say, best of luck and chin up.. I know it is hard going over.. I went 9 and 11 days on my two..

Anyhow, I was talking to my doc about this yesterday as the new policy in my hospital is to allow you to go over by 14 days.. :eek::eek: (It used to be 10hence my son being induced on the 10th day last time round.)

So, she said Pineapple (eating it) is supposed to be good, Raspberry Leaf tea and clary sage baths.. As well as a hot curry and a bit of hows your father..;)

So even though baby is on its way.. maybe some of these will come in useful for you..

Best of luck.. Cant wait to hear what you have!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

I was allowed go fourteen days over on my first, and that was eleven years ago. Its very frustrating alright, but it does heighten the excitement.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Lillyella wrote: »
    I was allowed go fourteen days over on my first, and that was eleven years ago. Its very frustrating alright, but it does heighten the excitement.

Best of luck!

Yup, my wee fella was 11 days overdue, and he came himself in the end (they were going to induce me the day I went in to labour anyway, if there was a free delivery suite). Longest 11 days of my life, but keep the chin up - you're at the finish line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I bought a couple of glass baby bottles on my first baby nearly 19 years ago. I thought they were fantastic for cleaning and sterilising. The volume level marks on the plastic ones fade after a few months of sterilising. They're also quicker to warm up. Great when baby is roaring the house down at 4am. Mothercare had them back then but I had my last child nearly 5 years ago and I couldn't find any at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

I don't know of any retailer who will now sell glass baby bottles as these are inherently dangerous in themselves - even hospitals don't use them. The 'plastic' bottles that are used in Ireland must confirm to European standards, which are much higher than American standards. The recent tests of feeding bottles were performed on bottles to American standards - therefore, in Ireland & EU, we're ok. I have a 10 mth girl & I would not like to see her with a glass bottle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

My six month old like to take a swipe at the bottle and knock it out of my hand when she has had enough, I'd be forever cleaning glass shards off of the kitchen floor if I used glass bottles! :) I've seen the research into plastic bottles and the difficulty seems to be with BPA, the research was on American baby bottles and as a previous poster has said European Standards are much higher for safety in these areas. But I do recognise that that isn't what you asked for so I'm off now to have a poke around the net for you and to see if I can find somewhere that sells glass ones for you. I'll be back.;) Oh and there's nothing quite like a bit of hows your father for getting a baba on the move. Went 8 days over with this little lady and after a bit of that went into labour within and hour and a half!!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

OK just took a quick look around and I'm amazed that there doesnt seem to be anyone doing them here in Ireland online. Having said that Dr Browns does glass baby bottles and Im sure that if enough people approached a large retailer who already stocks the brand that they would be happy to get them in for ye. There are a few sites in ebay.co.uk that do them and a few in the uk outside of ebay. I had no idea they were so cheap! and in my travels in the last 15 minutes I spotted lovely silicone sleeves you can put over them to ensure better grip and lower the risk of breaking if dropped. Clever stuff. I'm starting to come around so maybe with my next baba I'll give them a try.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You can get chemical free plastic bottles. For those of you who used glass bottles... your babs didn't throw them out of the buggy or onto the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LeprechaunxGiT

Today I was looking for the same answer as you Shell.

I found two companies just google the words

"Baby Nova Glass Bottles Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Today I was looking for the same answer as you Shell.

I found two companies just google the words

"Baby Nova Glass Bottles Ireland"

Baby born free is another company that do glass baby bottles in the internet, I found them very reasonably priced too. We found that heating them in one of those bottle heaters cracked them though.

Advertisement