Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating macros

Options
  • 31-08-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I think that this is the right forum. It's my first time in here, so be gentle.:P

Basically, I want to be able to create programmes (I think that they are called macros) that can automate certain processes for me, say for exel or something. I am a complete newb at this, and I was told the Visual Basic was my best bet for an easy programme to learn.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

I think that this is the right forum. It's my first time in here, so be gentle.:P

Basically, I want to be able to create programmes (I think that they are called macros) that can automate certain processes for me, say for exel or something. I am a complete newb at this, and I was told the Visual Basic was my best bet for an easy programme to learn.

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

A little more information would be required to really put you in the right direction. If you're using excel or have users that are using excel, and would like to automate certain processes or tasks, then yes, you can use macros. You don't neccessarily have to use Visual Basic yourself. Depending on the macro, you can simply record your events and replay them when neccessary.

Here are two sites which are useful for Macros and VBA for people that are unfamiliar with the process.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/tipsandtricks/microsoft-excel-macro-tutorial.htm

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/9245/

As I said, if you would like to give a little more info on what exactly you're trying to do, I'm sure we'd be able to help out more.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The thing is that I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to do, because I don't know how exactly what macros can do (I obviously know what some macros do, but I don't know the limits of them). Basically, if I find myself repeating the same action over and over again on the computer, I would like to be able to write a quick macro to automate the process. Excel was just an example (although your link was great for that).

I dont want to use a pre-prepared programme, because I want to learn a little programming too (never hurts to know more), I want to write my own.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You can efectively automate anything that you can do manually through a macro and/or VBA code.
    Is it Excel/Access/Wort/what that you are trying to automate?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

AutoHotkey is what you are looking for I think. It's amazingly simple to do simple things, and it can be pretty powerful too if your scripts get more complex.

Has decent documentation too, here is the quick start tutorial

Advertisement