Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16:9 displays as 4:3

Options
  • 31-08-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I have been capturing some video as 16:9 but when the disc plays on a DVD player it displays in letterbox format every time.
    Why is this happening? I am using Windows Movie Maker to capture and Nero Vision to burn to DVD. As I say, when I capture it is 16:9 and when I import it in Nero Vision it says the aspect ratio is 16:9. Maybe it is but on a widescreen TV it displays in letterbox format.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

last time i used movie maker it only exports in 4:3... but it was a old computer so maybe a newer one has better codecs?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

check the settings on your dvd player that it is in fact set to output as 16:9.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I have to crop it with Virtual Dub. It's a bit of a pain as Virtual Dub only works on .avi's so I have to convert my captured mpegs to avi as if I capture in avi format the file size is huge.
    It seems to work, I am burning a sample to disc right now. There are still black strips down the sides even though I cropped them out.
    I bet there will be audio out of sync or something now when I play the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

decob wrote: »
    check the settings on your dvd player that it is in fact set to output as 16:9.

Feck it you were actually right, it was that! It was deep in the bowels of the system menu of my dvd player, took me ages to find it.
    Turns out that even if you play DVD's you created with an output of 4:3 (as I have) it will still display them as 16:9 if you set this setting to 16:9.
    Dead handy, I can't believe I wasted all that time fiddling around with Nero and Windows movie maker when that actually wasn't the problem at all.
    I'll put it down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

lukin wrote: »
    I'll put it down to experience.

ya live and learn...

• Advertisement
Advertisement