Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade car battery charger

• 31-08-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

This is another idea I got from my uncle, as he built one of these a few years back. I'm thinking of building one, I've a spare alternator from my Nissan Micra lying about in my shed, and I also have access to an old washing machine motor. Now I know that I'll need matching pulleys and belts and all that jazz, but it's the wiring end of it that I'm still a bit confused on. Has anyone here build one aswell, and if so, any pointers / tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Whoa, no need to over complicate things. All you need is a power supply. Combining an electric motor with an alternator is like using a lamp on a solar panel! It's be an interesting project, but certainly not the most efficient way to do it.

All you need is a transformer, a bridge rectifier and some smoothing capacitors I should think and you've got a charger with no moving parts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I want a portable version

I seen one with a 50cc two stroke engine similar to lawn mower engine turning a car alternator

I wanted to make a similar version but lighter with a smaller alternator like a motor bike one and smaller engine like a weed whacker type 30cc

if you want to team up as its similar PM me and maybe we can see if the projects can be made to work

I imagine that the for you wiring find similar car version trace the wires
    There is probably no negiive wire as chassis is negitive
    most cars are negitve earth

Alternitivly local libary might have the manual for that make of car or you can order it in

I own three wall plug in type 4 amp trickle chargers so its not for want of chargers thaty I need this solution its to have cheap light portable solution

Cheaapest in irealnd for wall charger is car costom shop capel streeet 4 amp trickle charger 20 euros

Lidl is 23 euro for similar 18 euros if you get it north of Ireland when they have them in stock

After that it telephone numbers like 50 euros or 100 euros from the tool shop in capel street or Maplins electronics all out to rip the irish faces off

i got a mate in china will come back in a few months and am going to get him to bring me back decent wall charger say 20 amps and he recons that costs 50 euros and the cheap 4 amp type cost 5 euros there
    here 20 plus euros rip off alley

A typical honda 1000 watt generator is very pricey very heavy and only charges at 8 amps at best fom its 12v charger

A no name made in china generator from Aldi Lidl or Woodies which is cheaper is similar but your screwed if a part breaks as there is no spare parts to be had in Ireland and the cost to import spares from china is wicked if the fecccking thing ever arrive so you got to bin it when it breaks down

A car alternator can start peak charge 35 amps

The local dumps have alternators for buttons

Sean_K as you say there is methods to make trickle chargers

have you plans and component parts lists to do a 20 amp type

I can price that and solder it up if its cheap eneogh

Chow 4 now

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The reason I'm choosing a car alternator over a transformer is because an alternator will charge a battery FAR faster than a transformer.

The Micra alternator that I have has a rating of 35 - 50 Amps.

I might ask my uncle how he built his the next time I see him.

Not sure if your really trying to a project like this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367986

If your looking to fast charge with lead acid frequently forget it they are wrecked within 20 cycles if deep charges are followed with rapid charges

To rapid charge lead acid fast you need to get the pulse types that with puilsing dont form gas bubbles and do less damage for fast charging

Derry

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

derry wrote: »
    Not sure if your really trying to a project like this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367986
    Self referencing links FTW :pac:

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Self referencing links FTW :pac:

sorry this link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055284824

derry

Advertisement