Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sudden screeching noise

Options
  • 31-08-2008 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I drive a 2006 Mazda 3. All was grand until I reversed out of the driveway this afternoon. There was a loud enough screeching of metal on metal. I don't think it's the brakepads because the noise did not stop completely when I lifted my foot off the brake pedal. The strange thing is that this has come out of nowhere. With brakepads isn't it usually a gradual thing? It seemed to get louder when I turned right. Has anyone any ideas what could be behind it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Was the car still moving when you took your foot off the brakes.

If so its possibly a CV joint faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I take it the noise stops if you stop moving?

Possibly a stone caught in the brake calipers that moved when you went to reverse. Find the location, take off the wheel if necessary and remove the offending stone.

Unlikely IMO on a 2006 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd second the stone theory. If it doesn't go away, maybe drop by a Mazda garage - the car's still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks lads. A mechanic coming out in a few mins to have a look. Hopefully, it's nothing serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Was the car still moving when you took your foot off the brakes.

CV joint does not screech?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

esel wrote: »
    CV joint does not screech?

Do they not now.

Are you sure about that.

Ok, the mechanic came around and he said he'd bring it out to his place to remove the wheel and have a look. He said it definitely was not sounding like brakepads. He was back within five minutes. There was a stone in there and it fell out or broke while he was driving it out. All's well again.

Is it odd that there would be a stone in there? Could it happen naturally or would it point to a kid doing it, do you think? I never had that problem before and it was grand the last time I drove it.

Shamrok wrote: »
    Is it odd that there would be a stone in there? Could it happen naturally or would it point to a kid doing it, do you think? I never had that problem before and it was grand the last time I drove it.

Absolutely, it can happen naturally. It has happened to me anyway. Obviously flicked in while driving and when you reverse gets moved into a position where it causes the noise.

Don't go looking for anyone else in relation to this incident!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Stones caught between the brake discs and the cowl/caliper are relatively common. I've seen it plenty of times.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the help.

Advertisement