Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with NTL BB in Dublin today ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DingDong wrote: »
    Don't think it was a fibre cut that caused the fault(diversity would of solved that problem) more a a problem with the DNS.

Thats what their noc told me it was - I was on call the other night when the Internet went it work and all our websites were down. That said if you blew up your DNS and there was c:pac:oincidently a fibre cut who would you blame?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

tk123 wrote: »
    Thats what their noc told me it was - I was on call the other night when the Internet went it work and all our websites were down. That said if you blew up your DNS and there was c:pac:oincidently a fibre cut who would you blame?:pac:

They can blame their own hosted systems or an external source somewhere that they have no control over. The fact that my internet was working (just no DNS) to me implies the fibre cut was a porky. It sounds better if the fault is everyone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Stekelly wrote: »
    I take it the phone service is run seperately snce that didnt go down?

I was havign a skype conversation when it went down, but that stayed active not havign internet acess. When I reset everything (obviously ending the skype call at that stage) it signed me into skype again but it wouldnt show me who was online. My cousin that I was talking to on skype at the time is on NTL too so it was a bit odd when we both lost internet but were able to continue talkignon skype.

Not really, skype sets up a peer to peer connection between both PCs and if you're both on the NTL network you never would have left that network to talk to eachother. NTL's internal network still would have been running, just access to their gateway limited if not completely disconnected.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    They can blame their own hosted systems or an external source somewhere that they have no control over. The fact that my internet was working (just no DNS) to me implies the fibre cut was a porky. It sounds better if the fault is everyone else's.

There was a fibre line cut. As it's already been explained this affected other providers too. NTL aren't the only one that use their fibre network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Achilles wrote: »
    There was a fibre line cut. As it's already been explained this affected other providers too. NTL aren't the only one that use their fibre network.

A fibre cut to where / what? I could ping their DNS and access anything I knew the IP for, all I couldn't do was resolve names.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    A fibre cut to where / what? I could ping their DNS and access anything I knew the IP for, all I couldn't do was resolve names.

Of course, because their DNS servers still reside within their own network. There was a fibre line cut which themselves and alot of other providers reside on thus greatly reducing their network's ability to route information to the right destinations. That would also explain why for certain moments in time that some customers wouldn't have been able to reach .ie domains for instance.

Their DNS server's contact other DNS server on the internet to get updated information... the servers wouldn't be able to resolve anything as it wouldn't be able to contact the routing tables of other routers to get updated information.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Can anyone who has a working NTL server please give me the DNS servers that they are using? Mine's down/very very bad and no amount of releasing/renewing the IP at router level is helping as I'm just getting the same settings back each time. The DNS servers I have at present are 89.101.160.4 & 89.101.160.5.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

Never mind. We're back up and running now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

It's been very bad the past few days.

It's very very slow now and on Sunday my broadband went completely for 3 hours. I reset everything but the 'Link' light on the modem kept flashing...

What's wrong? I'm in Swords btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well up and running but on 20 package but getting the below speeds

What the **##

317415915.png

• Advertisement

Its worse for me. I'm on 20mb and I'm getting this:
    317425836.png
    Heanet test also says I'm getting around the same speeds as speedtest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Its worse for me. I'm on 20mb and I'm getting this:
    317425836.png
    Heanet test also says I'm getting around the same speeds as speedtest

I'm on the 20meg too - and I'm getting this tonight: Clonee area
    ...load a sh1te

317429858.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

Starting to get bad again tonight. Been very spotty on and off. Did the reboot but its been going on and off so far since Midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

dead in d7 ... again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yup dead down here in Waterford again :( . This is getting to be a common occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Up and down here in Dublin the past hour. Seems to be back now though.

forbairt wrote: »
    dead in d7 ... again

It always dies in D7 regardless. Line attenuation in most parts is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Anyone have any idea whats up?! - got this this morning after only a meg last night...

Feast or famine!

317603271.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

sticker wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea whats up?! - got this this morning after only a meg last night...

Feast or famine!

317603271.png

What is your pack? 20mb?
    Because that upload is pretty shiite for the 20 mb pack.

I am in D7 myself and during the 6mb days the speeds i got were solid.
    Apart from 2007, then it was always crap.
    Now since we are supposed to have 20 mb, it is really going up and down, the speeds (up and down) i could have with 20 mb, i have never seen in a test.
    At the other hand, i can not recall any down time while i was on line. What happens when i am not at home i can not know of course.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Same problem for me here again last night in Clonee. All lights on the modem, even after a reset, but not able to connect. Back to full speed this morning.

Wonder what they're playing at?

• Advertisement

Rang them up looking for an explanation and it was not forthcoming

If I have to listen to that Vivaldi and the four seasons any more on hold :mad::mad:

Rang up and said I had the same problem last night as I had on Monday and had their issues been fixed

'Wait till I check...no there are no issues in your area only in the Leixlip area'
    'I have been on message boards and its not just a lexlip issue'
    'Well just checked and no issues here'
    'So your saying that the same problems that users were experiecing on Monday have been fixed?'
    'Well there are no issues now can you check your pc and ring us when your home from work'

Right so I am off to Vienna to dig up Vivaldi and ship him to UPC if speeds are still the same

My internet went down for hours last night again and its really slow today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

Down again in D6 last night as well, connection dropped at 00.10 but was able to reconnect about 25 minutes later, no problems after that.

Back up to normal speeds taken using google chrome browser

317952995.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭dodzy

Back up to normal speeds taken using google chrome browser

317952995.png

Dont want to piss on your chips mate but thoses stats mean nothing based on what I've seen over the last few weeks. Download a file...a decent size file ( www.url.ie/qv for example ) and see how long it takes. Speedtest.net is eratic as f**k, plain and simple. I'm on the 20MB ultra in D15... so far I've seen no ULTRA :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

dodzy wrote: »
    Dont want to piss on your chips mate but thoses stats mean nothing based on what I've seen over the last few weeks. Download a file...a decent size file ( www.url.ie/qv for example ) and see how long it takes. Speedtest.net is eratic as f**k, plain and simple. I'm on the 20MB ultra in D15... so far I've seen no ULTRA :mad:

Via. wireless laptop too:
    test2fz7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shooterMac

I managed to ping the DNS servers, that night and i got a reply, so it sounds like the DNS servers are acting up, I know I can choose another DNS server to use while I wait for that to come back up. Anyone out there able to tell me the IPs of any free DNS servers to use as an alt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

shooterMac wrote: »
    I managed to ping the DNS servers, that night and i got a reply, so it sounds like the DNS servers are acting up, I know I can choose another DNS server to use while I wait for that to come back up. Anyone out there able to tell me the IPs of any free DNS servers to use as an alt?

using other DNS servers didn't make much of a difference the other night for me.

used http://www.opendns.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I'm moving into a new apartment (D15) soon for which I need BB. Apart from these recent problems I've always read UPC to have solid broadband. So do you guys think I should chance it and go for 10mb or settle for the 3mb connection? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 pingala

i was almost ordering this 20Mbps broadband when i've seen this messages.. i have now a BT 8Mbps connection which should be brought to 24Mbps in the last 2 weeks but instead of going up it got broken...
    im experiencing continuous disconnections and slowness, and the tech support isn't helping at all...

so i would like to switch to somebody else, but seems here that also NTL got f**ked up ... is there out any decent and serious ISP??? is that possible that i can't get a connection in this country?

hope to hear from somebody who has no problem... im in D15 btw.

Advertisement