Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having problems with NTL BB in Dublin today ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ciarancummins

I have had major problems the last 2-3 days. DNS seems to be a problem, as even though they are up, ping them, they do not resolve. Also, having problems connecting and staying connected to online games, like counterstirke. Also getting dropped packets when pinging the likes of google.... hopefully whatever is happening, they are fixing. takes ages to get through.

Im in Swords, N. Dublin btw. Only getting ~950Kb/s for that gnoppix download. Anyone have accurate info on the cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭dodzy

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Via. wireless laptop too:
    test2fz7.jpg

Hey Joey, not bad at all. Downloading at almost 17mb there...and wireless too ! What wireless card do you have ? When I can get decent download speed, which is a rarity, best I do is via ethernet connection to (bog standard UPC issue) SA modem was similar to yours but never goes above 1mb on wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

dodzy wrote: »
    Hey Joey, not bad at all. Downloading at almost 17mb there...and wireless too ! What wireless card do you have ? When I can get decent download speed, which is a rarity, best I do is via ethernet connection to (bog standard UPC issue) SA modem was similar to yours but never goes above 1mb on wireless.

Just a bog standard wireless card in a HP laptop, all my other machines achieve the same speeds too so I doubt your speed problems are related to your wireless NIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Does anyone have any SOLID theories as to what the problem is and when it'll be fixed? Are other ISP's effected? I can't even get though to NTL tech support to get an answer...

It well over a few days now... I'm on the 20mg Ultra, and to quote someone earlier in this thread; it's FAR from ultra...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

well said sticker. hardly worth the money if it keeps up like this.

• Advertisement

To quote the infamous tennis champ, J.McEnroe................

318923981.png

You CANNOT be serious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q1. What does UPC stand for ?

A1. Unbelievably Poor Connection

This is total sh*t.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yeah between the DNS problems this week and the poor speeds now, it looks like UPC are on a downward slope.

318943217.png

I'm on 20Mb and up to this week it has performed very well. This week has been brutal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Fine in Milltown, D6.

20meg conn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Woeful connection in D12 on 20meg for the past 10 days or thereabouts. Connection either drops completely or the speed varies dramatically.

I just don't have the patience to get on the phone to them cos I know I'll be waiting ages and they'll just do the usual 'we'll send a technician out to you at a time to your INconvenience' when the problem is on their end and there's nothing wrong on my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

The same poxy connectuion for three days running - haven't crossed 3 meg. Being charged for an Ultra service is a piss take...

I was with BT (until they started throttling) for three years - but NEVER had a servcie drop like NTL. My connection has been totally lost for over a 12 hour period THREE times now - All this in the space of 5 months with NTL.

319618095.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You'd swear you lot were paying for five-nines SLA's :)

There's obviously a problem on parts of their network. I'm sure it's being looked at. Contact support, register the issue and ask customer care for a rebate on your subscription this month. Usually they're pretty good with that sort of thing in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i had a visit appointment yesterday which was booked a week ago. despite was arranged for 1pm-6pm, the technician turned up and rang me at sharp at 9am in the morning. a confirmation call i received on friday was also pointless.

i wasn't around so told him there's no way he could get into my home. he asked me wats the problem. i said apart from constant drop off connection and slow i've no idea but the support on phone said it'd be low signals. so he agreed he'd look into the box outside. about 4pm-ish he rang me again confirming that it's area wide problem, not just me. will take 1-2 weeks to be sorted out.

i'm in D1 Custom House are btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Well i'm in Tymon in Tallaght and we've had no Internet all weekend. I normally have 10MB, Even all the TV stations are gone. Posting this in work... I hope they fix the problem..it's a wreck the head having no net at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Once again, the whole service was down in most of D15 all day today.

One word:

U N B E L I E V A B L E.

It's happening atleasts once a week now lasting days at a time.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

Muppets. connection has been ****e since day 1. Today though they've reached a new low. Rockin out at 965kbps on my 20 meg Ultra connection. Oh yeah baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

Any news on NTL in the D7 area?
    I'm considering switching over to them as it turns out it's quite a bit cheaper than the one I'm currently with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

meepins wrote: »
    Any news on NTL in the D7 area?
    I'm considering switching over to them as it turns out it's quite a bit cheaper than the one I'm currently with.

Its ... ok ...

was down a good bit last week ... Hours+ at a time.

Would I recommend them ... MEH! ... yes / no

When its good its good ... when its bad its horrid :D
    I'm not playing any online games so I can't really comment on ping times but I'd guess last week it would have been awful. This week I'm noticing a few glitches / long loads delays resolving websites

I've had bad experiences with various crowds though I just find the lack of any site saying we're having troubles with xyz here at the moment we're working on it to be really annoying. Try to keep the customer informed of whats going on. At least if I knew there were issues I'd feel a good bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

was thinking of switching from BT but think i'll wait till all this mess gets cleared up 1st!

Scruff wrote: »
    was thinking of switching from BT but think i'll wait till all this mess gets cleared up 1st!

Calld them this morning to arrange one of their " engineers " ( cough ) to come out - set up for Thurs AM. 3 days now without BB. They said this morning that they were "unaware" or any issues in the area ( D15 ). I said that neighbours has been asking one another about the crap TV reception over recent days and several had reported it but the Customer Service agent was adamant that no-one bar me had raised an issue. Yeah right.

10 mins later, white van man pulls up ( NTL guys ) - opens the inspection cover outside my garden, and goes to work so I popped out to have a word:

Me: How's it going pal ?

NTL: Ah ye know yourself, same sh*t, different day .

Me: I dont suppose what your doing here could be anything to do with my lost BB service and crap TV reception ?

NTL: Yeah. underground ducting are blocked; Rain no doubt. we're working on it now. But we might have to get a kango to take up a section of pathway to fix it properly.

Me. Funny that. I was speaking to your guys this morning on the phone and they said there was no issue in the area

NTL: Dont mind them gobsh*tes on the phone. They havent got a clue whats going on.

HERE HERE ;-) Roll on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

I see my Sky News channel (202) was unavailable this morning. Why you ask? Who the hell knows. As I posted earlier, Dave returned to normal, but now sky News is reporting "You are not subscribed to this channel."

Wow, this is incredibly irritating.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Get0fix wrote: »
    I see my Sky News channel (202) was unavailable this morning. Why you ask? Who the hell knows. As I posted earlier, Dave returned to normal, but now sky News is reporting "You are not subscribed to this channel."

Wow, this is incredibly irritating.... :(

Ring 1908 get through to tech support, (ring about 4 or 5 usually gets answered fast at this time for me anyway) Ask for for them to send a hit to your box letting them know your missing channels 10-15 minutes letter all should be back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Great thanks, I'll give it a go a bit later. My TV experience has just been SOO unpredictable the last few weeks! Its really getting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

NTL apparently upgraded myself and a host of other people in my area recently.My broadband performance since the upgrade has been crap - specifically, my speeds are as they should be early morning and very late at night but during the day or evening my connection drops to that of a 1MB/2MB connection.

Running tests on various speedtest sites showed me that the quality of service was awful and speed was that of 1MB. Tests were carried out while connected both to a wireless router and directly to the cable modem supplied by NTL.

Called NTL and got the usual spiel - yada yada, blah blah. I personally think their network couldnt handle the increased capacity after everyone was upgraded. I have an engineer coming onsite to replace my modem next week but I doubt that will resolve the issue.

Anyway, here is where my noodle is really baked in all of this.
    While testing last night, I was seeing the usual crappy performance, then I tried downloading an iso file from http://ie.releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/...sktop-i386.iso. I was amazed to see the download running at 1.2 MB/S when everything else I try to connect to or download runs so slowly.

So I kept testing the download from http://ie.releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/...sktop-i386.iso over the course of the evening, at one point the download was running at 3 MB/S. Everytime I downloaded this file the speed was running ridiculously high.

What the hell is going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SexVicar

Just went down again for 15 minutes in Tallaght. Been getting more frequent and annoying recently. Plus, I'm only getting around 3000Kbs on whats supposed to be a 10mb connection. I think its time to give them a ring and ask why in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

SexVicar wrote: »
    Just went down again for 15 minutes in Tallaght. Been getting more frequent and annoying recently. Plus, I'm only getting around 3000Kbs on whats supposed to be a 10mb connection. I think its time to give them a ring and ask why in the morning.

I'm getting 1mb and I should be 3mb(waiting to be upgraded to 10mb)

Edit:Templeogue so near you

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

getting 850k down 1.7 up on the 20mb package. its been happening more and more frequently. browsing is slower than dialup at the mo.. :( D24

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

pretty crap at the moment

323409108.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

My speedtest.net result are giving me about 2Mb while on magnets speedtest I'm get 15Mb (http://speedtest.magnet.ie/) while downloading a large file I get 1.5MB/sec (link)

Advertisement