Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT and Rapidshare

Options
  • 31-08-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭

I am on the 7.6mb package from BT and over the past week or two I think I am being throttled on Rapidshare,
    Right now i have 5 threads trying to download something and the fastest of the 5 is going at 35.2KB/s

When i got this first i was thrilled with it.
    Is it BT throttling me or what? :confused:

Bloody annoying paying for something theey wont give me :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They can't throttle Rapidshare specifically as they're just normal http downloads. If Rapidshare was being limited then all port 80 traffic would be too.

If you're on a free account then it's rapidshare themselves throttling your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The connection isnt very consistant, I am getting 700KB/s on the first few links, then 120KB/s on a few others.

Right... and what speed of a connection are you on?

Also you never said what type of account you had on rapidshare, free or otherwise? I highly doubt it's your ISP throttling the connection as it's just over port 80.

*edit*

Just saw that you're on the 7Mb package. Now this is very important, are you getting 700KB/sec or 700Kb/sec? If 700 is the speed you're seeing in your browser then that's actually pushing just about 7Mb and the concurrent downloads just a little over that.

Erm... somebody doesn't know how bandwidth works methinks? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Earl

I really varies for me. Some I get as little as 30k/s and others I get the whole 2mb/s. I have a premium account and on the BT 24mb service as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Achilles wrote: »
    They can't throttle Rapidshare specifically as they're just normal http downloads. If Rapidshare was being limited then all port 80 traffic would be too.

If you're on a free account then it's rapidshare themselves throttling your connection.

I am on a premium account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Are downloads from anywhere else going fast?

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Are downloads from anywhere else going fast?

Not really

vectra wrote: »
    I am on a premium account

Ok, you're not answering my questions and without those answers there's no way I can help. Are the downloads showing up at 700KB/sec or 700Kb/sec? Trust me the capital letter makes *all* the difference.

vectra wrote: »
    Not really
    Theres you're answer then. BT is going slow.

Ok, you're not answering my questions and without those answers there's no way I can help. Are the downloads showing up at 700KB/sec or 700Kb/sec? Trust me the capital letter makes *all* the difference.

40.3KB/s <<< :(

62325.jpg

• Advertisement

Hrm, what's the contention ratio on that line?

Ohhh also meant to say, are you connecting to it wirelessly or via a cable? Do you have a seperate wireless router plugged into the modem... what exactly is the setup there?

Hrm, what's the contention ratio on that line?

Ohhh also meant to say, are you connecting to it wirelessly or via a cable? Do you have a seperate wireless router plugged into the modem... what exactly is the setup there?

I am sure I am on 24/1 contention ratio

Using wireless through this laptop which has always been spot on.

Netopia modem ( old dark grey one ) 2477 I think :confused:

ok
    one sec
    just booted up my pc to do a speedtest with both machines

LAPTOP TEST
    << Wireless connection

316459861.png

PC TEST<< Wired Connection

316460934.png

Strange how on both connections my Upload speed is fine :o

All back to normal this morning
    Fingers Crossed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Have a premium account on RS for the past year or so, i'm on BT 3mb. RS downloads at 300kb/s for me 99% of the time.

Advertisement