Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant FCR 1 or FCR 2: Panniers, mudguards and brakes?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently commuting three times a week with a 28K round trip and thinking of upgrading the bike from a Giant Yukon with road tyres to a Giant FCR 1 or 2.

The FCR models seem to get consistently good reviews from the commuters on boards and the reduction in weight should cut a bit of time; however, has anyone had any experience with adding panniers and mudguards to either model as I have never been too convinced by seatpost mudguards or racks.

Carrying a laptop and a change of clothes, so would prefer to avoid the sweaty lower back from using a backpack.

One thing that I have a slight concern is moving back from disc brakes; is it worth adding cable disc brakes as an extra? I really found them great during the winter and had little or no maintenance over two and a half years.

Feedback greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'm open to correction but I don't think the FCR1 or 2 frame will take disc brakes, so you will need to stick with the calipers. I don't think mudguards or panniers should be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red Devil

Thanks for the help. I don't think you are going to be corrected. A good bit of searching this evening and there is definitely no version of the FCRs with disc brakes.

Panniers and mudguards don't seem to be a problem for the FCR3, so presuming the FCR 1 and 2 will be straightforward.

Decisions will be to stretch the budget, but good value on the FCR2 at the moment, which has been reduced on lots of sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Shouldn't be a problem anyway, you shouldn't need disc brakes on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

FCR 2 has pannier attachment points, and I've had mudguards on it too (i just use the quickly removed 'slide onto a metal bracket mounted on the brake bolt' style rather than a full on touring type with stays etc, but the front fork also has stay mounts if you'd like to go that route)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I have an FCR 2 and a friend has an FCR 3. Not much of a difference really, especially for commuting. Have cycled across northern Spain and Malin Hd to Mizen Hd with loaded panniers on them, so they take panniers pretty decently. I've never had mudgards, but he has some on fine. They're a great bike and get good speed.

However, having said all that, if I was looking for a commuter bike, I'd never get one. They're expensive, very stealable, have quick release wheels and aren't hugely comfortable. Also, they're quite light and have thin wheels, so for commuting, I personally, would value a stronger bike that's more suitable to hopping up on curbs and that sort of thing. It's got quite a low riding position which is fine for spins and races, but not ideal for every day usage. I'd probably also want something that looks a little plainer so it didn't catch thieves eyes.

Realistically, the FCR isn't designed to be a commuter bike. It's a 'road crusier' which is a race bike with a few differences. I'ts designed for speed and not much else. Depending on your needs, a hybrid might make more sense, which has thicker wheels which will carry extra weight better, and make dealing with city cycling much more manageable and comfortable.

• Advertisement

p wrote: »
    They're expensive, very stealable, have quick release wheels and aren't hugely comfortable. Also, they're quite light and have thin wheels, so for commuting, I personally, would value a stronger bike that's more suitable to hopping up on curbs and that sort of thing. It's got quite a low riding position which is fine for spins and races, but not ideal for every day usage.

I'd have to disagree with the above. I've never found it to be uncomfortable,
    I have used mine almost daily for commuting for over 18 months - both with flat bars like it comes, and after changing it to racer bars (cos the cycling club I wanted to join doesn't allow flat bars/hybrids etc), and I've done many 100km+ rides in the mountains with both setups, including the Wicklow 200 (as has Rtd, another boardsie who did the Wicklow 200 on his FCR1, flat bars).

Hopping up on kerbs isn't something that I miss not being able to do to be honest, and I've not had any sort of wheel problems, despite the fact that they're thin - they're pretty strong, heavy, entry level wheels as they go - all you need to do is look where you're cycling and you can avoid potholes.

The very reason I think that they make good commuters is all the things you've listed as negatives - lightweight bike, narrow wheels, quite aggressive position - these all contribute to it being a nice quick bike ideally suited to the stop-start of daily traffic light commuting.

It totally depends on the person!

The only caveat I'd have is to make sure you have somewhere good and secure to lock it up, cos it is a nice looking bike and would definitely be targeted by thieves I'd imagine.
    (oh for what it's worth, there were 4 of us with FCR2s in my old job, covering anything from 10-40km round trips)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have never quite understood the obsession some people seem to have with hopping up and down kerbs :pac:

blorg wrote: »
    I have never quite understood the obsession some people seem to have with hopping up and down kerbs :pac:
    It did used be fun on my BMX as a kid though

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

I have an FCR 2 for sale. Size L. If interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I have an FCR3 I've toured on a couple of times with rear panniers, mudguards, a saddle bag etc. It all works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Baron_Kunkel

kenmc wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with the above. I've never found it to be uncomfortable,
    I have used mine almost daily for commuting for over 18 months - both with flat bars like it comes, and after changing it to racer bars (cos the cycling club I wanted to join doesn't allow flat bars/hybrids etc), and I've done many 100km+ rides in the mountains with both setups, including the Wicklow 200 (as has Rtd, another boardsie who did the Wicklow 200 on his FCR1, flat bars).

Hopping up on kerbs isn't something that I miss not being able to do to be honest, and I've not had any sort of wheel problems, despite the fact that they're thin - they're pretty strong, heavy, entry level wheels as they go - all you need to do is look where you're cycling and you can avoid potholes.

The very reason I think that they make good commuters is all the things you've listed as negatives - lightweight bike, narrow wheels, quite aggressive position - these all contribute to it being a nice quick bike ideally suited to the stop-start of daily traffic light commuting.

It totally depends on the person!

The only caveat I'd have is to make sure you have somewhere good and secure to lock it up, cos it is a nice looking bike and would definitely be targeted by thieves I'd imagine.
    (oh for what it's worth, there were 4 of us with FCR2s in my old job, covering anything from 10-40km round trips)

Completely agree with you Kenmc. I've been commuting 34km round trip for the last number of months on my FCR1 and find it a fantastic commuter. A safe lock up is great peace of mind though.

Berghaus do a very good 20, 25 or 30 litre day rucksac with a freeflow system that combats a sweaty back (bit expensive though at about 80 euro) and are ideal for commuting.This would probably save on the need for panniers as I think if you want panniers you're better off with a hybrid, but thats only an opinion.

Also cyclestore.co.uk are doing fantastic deals on FCRs. With the exchange rate and even P&P you'll make a saving of up to €200 on the €900 list price in most cycle shops

Advertisement