Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible trojan/virus threat

Options
  • 31-08-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

My yahoo mail account was broken into yesterday by some scumbag chinese company called e-saloon. They sent spam to all the people on my address book.

I'm really reaching here but I've been using only UCD computers for the last few weeks. Has anyone else using UCD computers had problems like this? They run Sophos so I thought there couldn't be an issue but I'd thought I'd put it out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've heard of that happening to loads of people and not on the UCD network.

The UCD network has a load of proxies so chances of a trojan getting through to hit just your account would be very slim.

Probably just some hackers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

I've heard of that happening to loads of people and not on the UCD network.

The UCD network has a load of proxies so chances of a trojan getting through to hit just your account would be very slim.

Probably just some hackers tbh.

I'm inclined to agree to the point where I'd trust the UCD network implicitly - ie I'd order stuff with my credit card. I'm not a net.newbie by any means and the PCs there are very heavily protected.

I'm just really frustrated that I don't know how they did it! Guess I'd better go scan my parents computer too. If I can find a free command line scanner like sophos sweep...

It could be as simple as people using password scanning software on web based emails.

If you really think it was a UCD fault though you should probably talk to IT services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

It could be as simple as people using password scanning software on web based emails.

If you really think it was a UCD fault though you should probably talk to IT services.

Thanks for your help there Stepherunie. My automatic reaction is to completely freak out - if my yahoo mail was compromised, maybe my bank account was too. I was completely unaware there could be password attacks on Yahoo mail, outside one's machine being owned by malware. Especially as my account name is simple (my yahoo mail account is 10 years old this year!)...

I'll go find out more but if you've heard of loads of people having their yahoo mail compromised I guess it's endemic.

Thanks...

Yeah it happened to my boss lately that his hotmail was attacked that way and a company sent out an email to all his contacts.

I think the main thing you can do is have a strong password as it makes it less likely to be cracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cavan_man

Hi Carvone - the same thing happened to me yesterday at 18:21 - sent mails from my Yahoo account to everyone and then deleted all my contacts (which I was able to retore from Yahoo trash). I haven't logged into a UCD computer in 10 years ... so I don't think UCD is the issue. Looks like it was a straight forward hack. Make sure you change your Yahoo password to a stronger one with special characters and numbers. If you look on youtube - you'll see that there are plenty of ways to crack Yahoo passwords.

Advertisement