Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

jarvis wrote: »
    Restarted my laptop and when it came back on it had a 192.xxx IP and full speed!!!!

192 addresses are internal addresses (i.e. your home network). You need to actually login into your Router and see what address it has on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Profiler wrote: »
    Right so you work for BT then.

I mean if you can be so categoric in your answers at the same time as being condescending and patronising and wrong if you don't yet work there then you'd have a stellar career there if you wanted one.

The speeds are intermittant even since this "fix" and the drop out, not slow speed, I mean NO INTERNET connection issues are nothing to do with businesses using the internet.
    Theres no need to insult me I was just trying to give you an answer. Businesses increase the congestion on the interent and part of the problem is related to congestion during peak times. On weekdays businesses are using it as well as loads of home users too therefore you have a much larger amount of computers using the network than at the weekend which is why the speed is improved at the weekend and at off-peak times eg. early in the morning. It has already been said that the problem was related to congestion.

ondafly wrote: »
    192 addresses are internal addresses (i.e. your home network). You need to actually login into your Router and see what address it has on the internet.
    No they are also used as public IP's by some ISPs. I have a 194 ip address at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Also on BT, also brutal connection speeds for the past few weeks.

I suspect this is a much larger issue than BT are making it out to be.

Youtube is unusable for me and has been for the past few weeks. Download speeds are hit and miss and at times i can't even load webpages quickly, never mind download files :rolleyes:

Forget about IP's - this is BT's problem... they need to fix it and we shouldn't have to put up with it.

smemon wrote: »

Forget about IP's - this is BT's problem... they need to fix it and we shouldn't have to put up with it.
    Damn right, and they have the cheek to say the problem has been resolved on the support pages :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Damn right, and they have the cheek to say the problem has been resolved on the support pages :mad:

This is the answer I got yesterday from BT, the guy I spoke to confirmed that the problem is with their equipment, that they are trying to find and resolve the issue and have no idea of when or if they can fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

It's piss poor today. I'm on the Dundrum exchange and I can't even get Youtube.com to stream. Pretty pathetic for a 7.6mbit connection.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    This is the answer I got yesterday from BT, the guy I spoke to confirmed that the problem is with their equipment, that they are trying to find and resolve the issue and have no idea of when or if they can fix it.
    They better get it fixed soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

In bray,and mine has been very bad also,as people have said cannot watch videos on you tube,its a joke,i thought maybe it was only my connection till i googled bad bt broad connection and see all this lol :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I'm in south Dublin and having the same problems since speed upgrade. I switched out my BT supplied Zyxel 600 router for one of the new Eircom NEtopia routers the other night, problems all gone! I can finally listen to streamed music and use YouTube again.

I reckon BT haven't copped the problems Eircom had with end user equipment that doesn't work too well with their implementation of ADSL2, or if they have they don't want to admit it and start shipping out tens of thousands of new routers, they're probably trying to sort it at the exchanges.

• Advertisement

Zenith74 wrote: »
    I'm in south Dublin and having the same problems since speed upgrade. I switched out my BT supplied Zyxel 600 router for one of the new Eircom NEtopia routers the other night, problems all gone! I can finally listen to streamed music and use YouTube again.

I reckon BT haven't copped the problems Eircom had with end user equipment that doesn't work too well with their implementation of ADSL2, or if they have they don't want to admit it and start shipping out tens of thousands of new routers, they're probably trying to sort it at the exchanges.
    I've tried 3 different routers already one of which is the new Eircom one and my speeds are the same with them all, "s**t !!"

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Piusno1

Im with Perilco, before I was with Eircom. eircom use netopia routers/modems, and I hada 2mb packege no problems what so ever very consisted. Since I changed to Perilco I been using Zyxel modems and also got upgraded to a 3mb , but since the upgrade im having timeouts and very slow speeds alot, sometimes I get aleast 2634 mb download but Ialso get 346 kbt its driving me mad.
    Now im wondering if I change back to the Netopia modem will It help any, can anyone make any the wiser ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jesus it improved there for a while during the week or so I thought, but since 11am this morning it's been all downhill. Youtube is worthless, boards is like treacle, I've been trying to get to the bbc homepage for the last 5 minutes, 404s all over the place, but router is showing a consistent synch speed of 2048 mbits...I didn't even bother with a speedcheck to tell me I'm perhaps getting 10% of that at best this evening.
    I'd call BT but I know where that'll get me...strongly considering just cancelling/switching to another provider even if it means loosing my net for a month...paying for this sub dial-up service is laughable.

[edit] I've never used the bundled router(s)...it's not the router/modem...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just a quick refresher for people checking their ip.

www.whatismyip.com

That will get you your public (external) ip address. If the 78. network is still a problem, then pray that it doesnt start with that :)

Jumpy wrote: »
    Just a quick refresher for people checking their ip.

www.whatismyip.com

That will get you your public (external) ip address. If the 78. network is still a problem, then pray that it doesnt start with that :)
    For me it doesn't matter what IP I get it's still slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

ondafly wrote: »

Sorry, it was 194.xxx and has been all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Same here doesnt matter what IP today its slow all over - webpages taking around 60+seconds to load. What on earth are BT doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Theres no need to insult me I was just trying to give you an answer. Businesses increase the congestion on the interent and part of the problem is related to congestion during peak times. On weekdays businesses are using it as well as loads of home users too therefore you have a much larger amount of computers using the network than at the weekend which is why the speed is improved at the weekend and at off-peak times eg. early in the morning. It has already been said that the problem was related to congestion.

Your problem Cian is you are not listening (reading) what I am saying or to what other people are saying.

Every "answer" you have given has so many flaws it is not funny, what you are saying SHOULD be the case but all the evidence on this thread proves that what you are saying is not the case.

If you don't know what is going on don't try to post answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Still slow as **** here. Youtube is almost impossible. Regular browsing is muck and gaming is close to unplayable at times.

Your problem Cian is you are not listening (reading) what I am saying or to what other people are saying.

Every "answer" you have given has so many flaws it is not funny, what you are saying SHOULD be the case but all the evidence on this thread proves that what you are saying is not the case.

It was just a theory not fact. Focus your aggression on your ISP and not me. My answer was just a random guess not an official statement from BT's customer service desk. I was just expressing my opinion as to what was causing this as no-one knows whats causing it.

I'll make this as simple as I possibly can, please tell me what is going on because you sound like you know where the problem lies ?

• Advertisement

It's not just a Bt & UTV issue, spoke to several of my mates tonight, all of which are with Eircom and they're in the same boat, slow to near dead speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

24Mbs line was around the 20 all weekend now:

323608087.png

ffs...:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right so you work for BT then.

I mean if you can be so categoric in your answers at the same time as being condescending and patronising and wrong if you don't yet work there then you'd have a stellar career there if you wanted one. .

If you think somebody is a employee of a company then report the post as it is not your place to accuse anyone of being an employee.

May I suggest you take your tinfoil hat off and I suggest you return to normality!

In addition to this if you have a problem with the content a person is posting then report the post, it is not your place to tell any other poster to stop posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

Agreed, Cian cleary has no clue what hes talking about. He would be better to not post rubbish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Much improved in Stillorgan yesterday - 920kb p/s on 1mb line DL, 93kb p/s UL

Still getting the odd connection dropping but not so bad...

jack222 wrote: »
    Agreed, Cian cleary has no clue what hes talking about. He would be better to not post rubbish here.
    I'm not an official tech support person and I have done nothing wrong. I've not broken any site rules. You have no right to tell me to stop posting as I was just voicing my opinion. It wasn't insulting you or anyone else. Again I'l say it as simple as I can Jack you sound like you know the answer to everyones problems here so what is it ?? No-one has the answer, this thread has loads of different ideas as to what is causing it. If you want to continue this childish argument then don't do it here because this is for discussion related to the slow broadband connections.

My speed was perfect last night but yet again it has decreased. I've rang UTV but they just keep dismissing my claim and blaming it on eircom. Out of every ISP so far UTV has to be the worst for providing info to their customers.

UTV 4.5MB
    323656763.png

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

The rules have changed again. NO IP is safe.
    Although 7x.xx.xx.xx are still a no go it seems.

To get a working internet,

Login to modem,
    Go to connection settings.
    Disconnect
    Reconnect(did your IP change, if not try again)

Now open a CMD prompt.

Enter "ping www.boards.ie" (without quotes)

If you get 100ms its bad, if you get 40ms your close(this is for a 3mb connection) If you get 15-20ms you have hit the sweet spot.

So if you get 15-20ms your done, if not,

Just Disconnect
    Reconnect

Check ping

Until you get what you used to get!

323666194.png
    323666775.png
    16ms to boards.ie

Is everyones internet just slow or are you getting disconnected constantly.

Mine is not only very slow, I get cut off every few minutes.

jack222 wrote: »
    Is everyones internet just slow or are you getting disconnected constantly.

Mine is not only very slow, I get cut off every few minutes.
    For me it's just constantly slow.

• Advertisement

You know what the thing that annoys me most is...

I rang BT and the guy just kept blaming my phone setup and router, even though I had the same setup for 2 years and all worked fine.

In the end I just gave up talking to him

Advertisement