Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe it would be worthwhile taking this to national radio if this persists?

I remember 3 problems being covered on Matt Coopers show some time ago. A radio show would be able to get a representative from the ISP to talk on the show (maybe).

Just a suggestion I'm throwing out there, as I'd doubt if the ISP's in question would like national radio coverage on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Unfortunately Im betting when you mail them that you dont get a response until at least Friday by which time eventually theyll start to respond to it (or if you are lucky enough even call you about it) and voila then theyll say they cant do anything till Monday/Tuesday by which time theyll have forgotten all about it and the circle of time wasting continues...its a great tactic they have of waiting until the end of the week, hoping the problem miraculously solves itself over the weekend and they praying you dont call them back the following week......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

You know what annoys me most...not that they are having problems, this happens, I am sure they are trying hard to fix.

Its the fact that when you ring them they wont accept any responsibility, they wont admit there are problems, they claim no one else is having issues and try and blame my ****ing router or phone line, even though all was fine for one year.
    THEY PUT NO NOTIFICATION ON THE WEB PAGE, THEY ARENT RESPONDING TO MY EMAILS, IT TAKES 3 HOURS TO GET TO TALK TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE AND WHEN YOU EVENTUALLY GET SOMEONE, THEY JUST TRY TO FOG YOU OFF AND GET RID OF YOU AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.....****ING BULL****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

cyburger wrote: »
    The 7.6mb upgrade has nothing to do with anyone but eircom wholesale, the issue BT are having is around their own connection out to the internet, i don't think the two are linked but together they're making a fairly full on sh1t experience for people who go online to do anything more than check their mail... FPS gaming?
    All I said with regards to the upgrade was that in my opinion it shouldn't of happened, I never said it was BT's fault or doing. And as for the slow speeds, Eircom users seem to be in the same boat, friend of mine that lives a few doors up from me is with Eircom and on 2MB upgraded to 3MB and is now getting speeds just over dial-up.

byte wrote: »

I remember 3 problems being covered on Matt Coopers show some time ago. A radio show would be able to get a representative from the ISP to talk on the show (maybe).

Just a suggestion I'm throwing out there, as I'd doubt if the ISP's in question would like national radio coverage on the issue.
    I've already tried GR show on 2FM a few times now, no joy, TV3 don't want to know either.

• Advertisement

What router is everyone using...

I spoke to CS today and he seemed to be hinting that my Zyxel router was to blame, the one they sent me a couple of years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Well i contacted their tech support by the internet based support service.

They sent me a basic reply,

"We are aware of a performance issue affecting somce of our consumer bt broadband customers. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused"

Low and behold a quick speedtest.ie test displays that i am now getting 2.20 mbps dl instead of the 34kbps dl i had at the weekend. The qos is still funky getting 74% score and my upload is rated at 322kbps....Wait a minute

Right so to confirm all this i ran a second test...

In the space of 5 minutes i'm back to a 227kbps dl, 262 ul and QOS of 1%

jack222 wrote: »
    What router is everyone using...

I spoke to CS today and he seemed to be hinting that my Zyxel router was to blame, the one they sent me a couple of years ago
    I've tried two Zyxel routers, old and new Eircom netopia's and Bt's Voyager 2110, all of which are giving the same speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

byte wrote: »

Joe Duffy FTW !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Joe Duffy FTW !!!!!!!!!
    Only if youre from Clondalkin haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Only if youre from Clondalkin haha
    Unfortunately not :p

I'm a proud culchie !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

every one is going ape!

please answer me this..

Im a gamer..and need pings...

if your with Eircom, did you pings go up after upgrade?

Im with BT and before upgrade 18ms, now 70ms to boards.ie.

is this just a BT problem?

If the answer is yes, Ill switch back tomorrow to eircom(after 2 years!!)..

matt.

NOTE: I was on 3meg package before 7.6 upgrade. Now get 5 meg downloads. But I was getting 6, until i rang and complained about ping times.

My mate is with Eircom, 2MB now upgraded to 3MB

Before upgrade

30 - 50ms

After upgrade

190 - 400ms

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Have things improved?

Had a 78.xx and pings were fine, speeds weren't perfect about 60-70%

Just did a reconnect got a 19x.xx

324070856.png

Who are IEunet

My 3MB today, using Eircom Speedtest:

Result: 162kbps

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

On the 3Mb package here and this is what I get:

324223517.png

And I only get that after disconnecting and reconnecting a number times so that I'm not on one of their 78.xxx.xxx.xxx adresses.

Mine is getting worse (3MB):

estjm6.jpg

Well I have finally decided enough is enough and Im leaving them - its 7 weeks today since we started having problems with our BB so I have reached my limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

324248657.png

It was hitting the 20Mbs all weekend now this is the speed with added loss of connection ever fifteen mins....yes fifteen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Also getting this - it seems like 56k type speeds. Horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

More like 14.4 modem speeds and lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

bombidol wrote: »
    More like 14.4 modem speeds and lower
    9.6 baud. Those were the days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Sar! wrote: »
    Well I have finally decided enough is enough and Im leaving them - its 7 weeks today since we started having problems with our BB so I have reached my limit.

who are u with sar?

Im with BT for over 2 years now...no problems till upgrade..

pings from 18ms to 100ms ish...

So I switched to Eircom today.

Hope this fixes things..went for 3 meg downloads..

matt.

ps: BT for the sake of loosing a customer 220 average bill every 2 months, would not down grade me to 3 meg, unless they charged 30 euro! so F them..

Check out my Ping, 467ms :eek:

324319211.png

est2pq0.jpg

Hey Matt - With BT almost over 6 years now and never had a single problem ever until the upgrades. Pings never used to be a problem until now when they seem to be mostly around 112/113 - awful! :(

Hilariously the last guy I spoke to in their support centre actually said to me and I quote "Well none of us in here are on BT at home so we cant really see what the problem is ourselves!"

Out of curiosity did you have any trouble getting your Universal account no. from them so you could switch to Eircom?

Hey Matt - With BT almost over 6 years now and never had a single problem ever until the upgrades. Pings never used to be a problem until now when they seem to be mostly around 112/113 - awful! :(

Hilariously the last guy I spoke to in their support centre actually said to me and I quote "Well none of us in here are on BT at home so we cant really see what the problem is ourselves!"

Out of curiosity did you have any trouble getting your Universal account no. from them so you could switch to Eircom?

Arent Eircom having the same issues?, Ive been thinking of switching to NTL.

Sadly I dont have that luxury cos NTL arent available where I am - its BT/Eircom and thats it! ...I have yet to see lots of complaints about the Eircom upgrades weirdly but I am wary of it absolutely!

jack222 wrote: »
    Arent Eircom having the same issues?, Ive been thinking of switching to NTL.
    I know a few of my mates in my area that are with Eircom and they are having the same speed problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just had a reply form BT support...

Subject
    Slow speeds and no connection during peak times

Discussion Thread
    Response (Residential Technical Support) 16/09/2008 03.01 PM
    Dear Customer,

We are aware of a performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

***** | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help | 1890 923 111

Seems like a pretty standard reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

With BT almost over 6 years now and never had a single problem ever until the upgrades. Pings never used to be a problem until now when they seem to be mostly around 112/113 - awful! :(

Me too. Not even a billing problem.

Advertisement