Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just had a reply form BT support...

Subject
    Slow speeds and no connection during peak times

Discussion Thread
    Response (Residential Technical Support) 16/09/2008 03.01 PM
    Dear Customer,

We are aware of a performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

***** | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help | 1890 923 111

Seems like a pretty standard reply.

Looks like the monkeys are working hard, I got the exact same and it only took 4 days for them to reply to me.

Discussion Thread Response (Residential Technical Support)16/09/2008 01.29 PM Dear Jack,

We are aware of a performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Paul | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help | 1890 923 111

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

A call centre guy just told me that the disconnect problems are exchange problems so they will 'investigate' and I will hear back in a week or so ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Howdy all

I used to work for BT for 5 years still have a few technical contacts in there made a call today said he would look into it for me and see what the craic is will keep you lot updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Does anybody have idea of what they did to put through the speed upgrades? Was it just a increase in signal strength or changed equipment. They have until thursday with me. Then i phone to complain and by friday i look elsewhere for net access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

Back to crappy speeds again. everything was fine sat/sun. now back down to 100kbps again. Tech support were unable to give any aide as to when the problems will be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Another call from BT support, still isn't fixed and no real answer as to what the problem is or when it will be fixed. Have to wait now for another call from them tomorrow, I won't be paying the next bill that comes in that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Sar! wrote: »
    Hey Matt - With BT almost over 6 years now and never had a single problem ever until the upgrades. Pings never used to be a problem until now when they seem to be mostly around 112/113 - awful! :(

Hilariously the last guy I spoke to in their support centre actually said to me and I quote "Well none of us in here are on BT at home so we cant really see what the problem is ourselves!"

Out of curiosity did you have any trouble getting your Universal account no. from them so you could switch to Eircom?

yes. they would not tell me how to get it. pawned me off. Lucky, I remembered my user and pass to get an "image" of my bill online. So I got it that way.

Is it true, Eircom are in the same boat? ie high pings? why did I change so...let me know people....

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

on that note..

I just took it that Eircom HAVE control over interleaving. So my plan was to switch back to 3 meg downloads (used to get 18ms on BT! But BT were charging me 30 euro to down grade. Im stuck up and thick! Ill not pay for something I'm not getting), and ask them to lower my interleaving to min. to get better pings and if necessary worse speeds. Lets face it, 2 or 3 meg is fine for 99% of stuff.

So I hope to god, that when my new connection kicks in(Eircom), ie downgrading me from 6meg to max 3, will improve pings. If it does not, god help Eircom, Ill be on to them every other day.

m.

ps: this is not a speed problem..its a ping problem. Speeds on BT are great. Why or why, did they ever bother upgrade the lines.....

mattman wrote: »
    ps: this is not a speed problem..its a ping problem. Speeds on BT are great. Why or why, did they ever bother upgrade the lines.....
    You'll have to ask Eircom that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Its not only a ping problem tonight sadly...and we have been upgraded apparently to 6mb.

324503896.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Things were a lot better last night on a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx IP. Hopefully they have found what was causing the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

kmick wrote: »
    Things were a lot better last night on a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx IP. Hopefully they have found what was causing the issues.

That is the internal address of your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Jumpy wrote: »
    That is the internal address of your PC.

Not necessarily.

If the IP address is 192.168.X.X then yes it is.

However, I have seen on my connection use a 192.122.X.X connection when I went to www.whatismyip.com

Here's my speed, so far it's back to normal apart from the ping, and who is my ISP ?

324764210.png

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

324775605.png

Today's speed on the 24Mbs package. I posted yesterday that I getting disconnects every fifteen minutes and was told that in was an engineer/exchange problem and would take a few days to resolve. The connection has been solid for the last 6 hours on a 78.16. address. This makes less and less sense every day! And nobody really seems to understand what's causing it :confused:

Has anybody tried Magnet 12/24Mbs service yet?
    I'm reluctant to leave BT as I have been very lucky and had not probs 'till now and have found them pleasant to deal with, but....

I'm reluctant to leave BT as I have been very lucky and had not probs 'till now and have found them pleasant to deal with, but....
    I'm the same, never really had an issue as big as this and I have to say thus far their Tech Support have been very good, 2 - 3 calls a day from them trying everything they can to fix it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

perhaps we should get on to matt copper, i already have.

irishgeo wrote: »
    perhaps we should get on to matt copper, i already have.
    I did too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

What did Matt have to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gtuesday

I am having the same problem here in Swords. I was on a 2mb line and they were upgrading me to 4+mb however I am getting 120kbps at times.
    Customer Support have been dreadful. I have been contacting them every second day for the past 3 weeks. One time, after waiting for an hour, the guy I spoke to told me to hold while he put me on hold to speak to an engineer directly, before I even got a chance to say no or ask for his name, he put me back to the start of the queue. I wasn't even rude or annoyed with him before he did this, it must be something he does for kicks. Of course the second guy I spoke to after another hour of waiting was unable to tell me the name of the previous guy. So I am getting the name of everyone I speak to from now on.
    I would change to some other service provider but don't know who to go to.
    Maybe the Consumer's Assosiation of Ireland can help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

gtuesday wrote: »
    I am having the same problem here in Swords. I was on a 2mb line and they were upgrading me to 4+mb however I am getting 120kbps at times.
    Customer Support have been dreadful. I have been contacting them every second day for the past 3 weeks. One time, after waiting for an hour, the guy I spoke to told me to hold while he put me on hold to speak to an engineer directly, before I even got a chance to say no or ask for his name, he put me back to the start of the queue. I wasn't even rude or annoyed with him before he did this, it must be something he does for kicks. Of course the second guy I spoke to after another hour of waiting was unable to tell me the name of the previous guy. So I am getting the name of everyone I speak to from now on.
    I would change to some other service provider but don't know who to go to.
    Maybe the Consumer's Assosiation of Ireland can help

I agree 100%, when I ring these guys I feel like I'm talking to a con artist and a bad one. They have no customer support skills, no I.T skills and they dont give a ****. Their only goal is to get rid of you as quick as possible

I have given up even bothering calling, each time I called, each person went throught the same routine.
    They tried to blame me, they blamed my router, my phone line, my laptop. Then they blamed Eircom. They tell me to ring back because they are looking into it.
    When I right back the next person tries to blame me, they blamed my router, my phone line, my laptop. Then they blamed Eircom. They tell me to ring back.

They made me move my router downstairs, they made me restart the router, they told me they were sending another cable two weeks ago but never sent. All this when they know full well its a problem at their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

<vent>
    gaaaaah... i need to fookin work on my internets connection! :'(
    </vent>

/me shakes fist at BT

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Here is my speed today on both the 78 and 213 ips

325009502.png

useless, meant to be a 6meg line

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I spoke to soon... it is now

325013098.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

If this company had any decent clue on how to serve some sort of customer satisfaction they would not be billing us for a very sub par service. Its bloody crazy. they are effectively giving us diall up speeds and expecting us to pay full price for our broadband packages we all have.

I cant work from home as my connection drops every 10 mins or so...

Where is Matt Copper when you need him.

My 3Mb is back to normal :rolleyes: :mad:

stbttv0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hmmm.. this is what speedtest.net is telling me
    325045289.png

but downloading using downloadthemall is telling me i'm downloading at 550kbps and i get a ping of 57ms to boards.ie and 58ms to google.com
    confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

My speed is through the floor for the last three weeks too.

The amount of dropped packets and high pings is unbelievable. I have had enough of this now.

If I don't get a refund for the cost of Broadband for the last month, I'm leaving BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ok ok so sorry if this has been pointed out b4 or im just experiencing weirdness here but................

has anyone on the 78 address range looked up http://whatsmyipaddress.com/ for their location while on said address range???? I'm currently located in sunny Santa Monica california :D 3 modem restarts later and on the 194 range im teleported back to Dublin :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

calex71 wrote: »
    ok ok so sorry if this has been pointed out b4 or im just experiencing weirdness here but................

has anyone on the 78 address range looked up http://whatsmyipaddress.com/ for their location while on said address range???? I'm currently located in sunny Santa Monica california :D 3 modem restarts later and on the 194 range im teleported back to Dublin :mad:

You think thats bad,

Mine says

City: MARINA DEL REY

Thats Santa Monica in LA

325091824.png

78.16 seems to be better than the 200+ now, looks like things have reversed

This is more accurate

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Advertisement