Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

I had the problems talked about in this thread last week and all is stable since.

My download speed usually tests at 2615 or so and now look at it.
    It seems to have increased by a third..

This is on the Arklow exchange with the BT 3MB package.

Ping is woefull though-it used be good,now it isn't.

326755497.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My 3MB has been stable since Thursday evening.

326779229.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Eircom really slow today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

ShaneU wrote: »
    Eircom really slow today :(

mine is half my usual speed

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not overly impressive for me right now, but at least it hasn't dropped the connection for at least 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

327010106.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Impermanence

Hi Everyone, after reading through the whole thread I signed up here so I could add my frustration. I live in Trim (Meath) and have had a 2mb connection with BT for a few years which has recently been upgraded to a 3mb.

I usually get about 2600kbs download at night and it bogs down to about half that during peak hours.

I was lucky enough not to have these atrocious dial-up speeds everybody here is complaining about until Friday (roughly midnight) and they lasted for 12 hours or so. I was back at my usual full speed for Saturday and from Saturday night until now (2.15 Monday morning) I've been averaging a miserable speed of 125kbs. :mad:

I've been getting this speed with IP's beginning with 78, 192 and 213.

So it seems as soon as some here get their full speeds back, new victims like me suffer!!

Well I just wanted add my two cents so we all have a bigger picture of what's going on.

Edit: Well it's nearly lunchtime Monday and I'm finally back at an acceptable speed, on a 78 IP btw, I really don't think it matters what IP you have. Well I hope this crap doesn't continue, I'm already pissed off enough at being lucky to get half my speed during peak hours and the fact that BT never get back to me on any issue I've complained about. The create complete apathy and hopelessness in their customers especially so when having to wait 50 minutes on hold only to talk to some dimwit who is about as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike. And what's the alternative? Eircom? :rolleyes: Sometimes I really hate this rip-off little country.

327220141.png

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Favourite quote of the day (and its written all over their site):
    "There’s never been a better time to be with BT Broadband."

Hmmm....really? Think you might need to rephrase that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

Just to let people know , I had a user on a 7.6mb BT Business connection with pathetic pings , Poor YouTube perormance etc etc ,
    We transferred him to a 1mb Eircom Business Line and the pings to boards.ie are back to sub 25ms and Streaming on Youtube is flawless, In Short No Comparison , THIS IS A BT PROBLEM

BT are Idiots , I know this because we have 16 dsl circuts with them along woth our MPLS and IP Phone System and they are simply "Amateurs"

declans wrote: »
    Just to let people know , I had a user on a 7.6mb BT Business connection with pathetic pings , Poor YouTube perormance etc etc ,
    We transferred him to a 1mb Eircom Business Line and the pings to boards.ie are back to sub 25ms and Streaming on Youtube is flawless, In Short No Comparison , THIS IS A BT PROBLEM

BT are Idiots , I know this because we have 16 dsl circuts with them along woth our MPLS and IP Phone System and they are simply "Amateurs"
    You may want to do some research and back your statement with some hard evidence before you go and say this whole slow speed problem is BT's fault.

In my case it was nothing to do with BT, I can't speak for everyone here as there will be different factors as to why people are experiencing slow speeds but for me it was a congestion problem caused by the "Eircom Upgrades". The problem was solved by downgrading my broadband pack to "Option 2", my mate that lives a few doors up from me is with Eircom, he was experiencing the same problems and he too has been downgraded and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

That doesnt mean anything.

Bare in mind that when a customer is downgraded from a 7.6 mb to a 1 mb profile they will achieve better performance, specially if it isnt a very good line, as it will be on low interleave instead of high and also he would have been given a less, much less, aggressive profile.

Most of the people here on this threat are affected by being given a wrong profile...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Untrue. Its down to Eircoms lack of investment.
    When you say 'I had a user on ....' , sounds like you are an IT professional (or Eircom engineer).

boopolo wrote: »
    Untrue. Its down to Eircoms lack of investment.
    When you say 'I had a user on ....' , sounds like you are an IT professional (or Eircom engineer).
    If he is Eircom IT it wouldn't be like them to blame someone else now would it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ajoe

My BT Broadband is running at a snails pace again. I noticed it yesterday, and I got the typical "We're working on the problem" response. I'm fed-up with this now. I'm not paying for this month, and I'm jumping ship asap. Even if eircom are more expensive, right now it looks to me like it would be worth it. My (eircom) neighbours haven't experienced any of these problems, and I'm just sick of this now.

==========================================================
    Response (RESIDENTIAL TECHNICAL SUPPORT) 22/09/2008

This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    Regards,
    | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help|

RESPONSE (RESIDENTIAL TECHNICAL SUPPORT) 17/09/2008

We are aware of a performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    Regards,
    | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help |
    RESPONSE (RESIDENTIAL TECHNICAL SUPPORT) 10/09/2008

We are aware of an intermittent performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers at peak times. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused. At the moment the estimated fix time is Thursday afternoon.
    Regards,
    | BT Residential Technical Support | www.btireland.ie/help |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

gone to ****e again

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

327486781.png

What was once a steady 19-20Mbs before the big screw up :mad:

3MB

327516158.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

Even with a download assistant(Orbit), I'm getting a max. of 80 kb/s on downloads for the past week. Used to get 450-500 kb/s.:rolleyes:

307291501.png

Upgraded from 8Mbs last week in Dolphin's Barn and working fine :D

A post I found from what seems like another lifetime!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A post I found from what seems like another lifetime!

Its interesting that you are having problems on an unbundled line - that would suggest that the problem is with the BT network rather than Eircom?

Interesting isn't the word for it!

I've has disconnections every fifteen mins as well as the slow speeds. They sent me a new Voyager 210 modem to replace the one they sent me a few weeks ago. I've had it for 24 hours and I've not had a disconnect. Yippee!!!

But the speeds are as unpredictable as ever and I can see the large Dolphin's Barn exchange as I type. So, I'm unbundled, capable of high speeds and I'm having all these issues. Line has been tested a couple of times and they are happy it can take 24Mbs. I would love to know what is really going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

327774421.png

MY PINGS ARE BACK!

switch back to Eircom..and down graded to 3 meg!!

yessss.

happy days!

m

ps: old pings were 80+

pps: gettin 35ms on COD4 ! yesss

mattman wrote: »

MY PINGS ARE BACK!

switch back to Eircom..and down graded to 3 meg!!

yessss.
    Sounds like you too had a congestion problem, I downgraded to 3MB with BT and problem solved for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Sounds like you too had a congestion problem, I downgraded to 3MB with BT and problem solved for me.

i just noticed..

Im still with BT!!

Am ment to be transfered to eircom in 2-3 days..

Pity, my pings are back to great again.

BT wanted to charge me 30 to downgrade me...

looks like, they did to little, to late!

m.

anyway..shur ill try eircom for 6 months..and go from there..

mattman wrote: »
    i just noticed..

Im still with BT!!

Am ment to be transfered to eircom in 2-3 days..
    Could you not cancel as it hasn't happened yet, you'd be saving a few euro each month if you could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Impermanence

It seems very clear to me that BT intentionally capped me to 125kbs during Friday night to Saturday morning, then Saturday night until Monday morning and yes they have left me alone since then. Those are the hours most unlikely to upset the masses during maintenance.

I think they (or Eircom) know exactly who they're capping and when. I live in a tightly built up area, a town of about 10,000 in Meath and Meath being the fastest growing area of Ireland. I'm sure they purposely cut me off at the dullest hours, why else would it happen at 12am Friday, be back Saturday and then gone from Saturday night until Monday morning? It's so obvious it was a planned cut off. :rolleyes:

Rang them again today.

After some testing etc, they concluded that because of my line they would have to slow down my connection. It will be initially brought to 4mb. If my pings are good at that, they will try 5mb.

The technology in the Eircom exchange is the old bitsteam gear. This does not go well with the Cisco technology of BT.

Until my exchange is unbundled, they dont expect me to be able to have anything higher than 5mb

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Boopolo, hope you don't mind me asking but what exchange are you on?

Have you checked Eircoms site for which exchanges have been upgraded to ADSL2+ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

boopolo - check if you exchange has been updated with ADSL 2+ gear.

You can find out here - http://www.eircom.ie then click on the news link that says "eircom broadband Speeds Upgrade Programme..."

that will tell you if your exchange has ADSL2+ equipment.

slow today and some sites not working at all :confused:

• Advertisement

Ronan wrote: »
    boopolo - check if you exchange has been updated with ADSL 2+ gear.

You can find out here - http://www.eircom.ie then click on the news link that says "eircom broadband Speeds Upgrade Programme..."

that will tell you if your exchange has ADSL2+ equipment.

Ronan,

It has already been upgraded months ago .... (that is the problem).

I do have fast download speeds (900kB/ps+) but because of the congestion at the exchanges, they are not able to handle the data back and forth.

So I have got BT to get Eircom to slow it down. Hopefully my ping speeds will be reduced significantly.

Will be done within 24 hours ..... will report back

Boo

Advertisement