Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

boopolo wrote: »
    Ronan,

It has already been upgraded months ago .... (that is the problem).

I do have fast download speeds (900KB/s+) but because of the congestion at the exchanges, they are not able to handle the data back and forth.

So I have got BT to get Eircom to slow it down. Hopefully my ping speeds will be reduced significantly.

Will be done within 2 hours ..... will report back

Boo

I am afraid that it will take a bit more than 2 hours for this to happen. Eircom wont deal with this kind of request out of office hours.

They will have to request a speed profile change to them during office hours, then it should take more than a few hours for the adjustment to go through.

It could be congestion or it could be interleave and your line. It will be difficult for anyone but eircom to know for sure what the problem is.

Your pings wont improve much though unless is a line problem

If for example your pings are exceptionally high (over 150 ms to a local server) then that could indicate a congested area. Eircom would probably be aware of this and most likely are working on a plan to improve this.

It seems obvious that Eircom's upgrades have given them and other ISP more trouble than they expected as they should have prepared their network for this upgrade.

In my opinion, after the network upgrade, some areas have suffered from congestion more than others. If they were aware of this or not before everything started, will never be known, I do assume they are working out ways of improving this but it will take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Praetor wrote: »
    I am afraid that it will take a bit more than 2 hours for this to happen. Eircom wont deal with this kind of request out of office hours.

They will have to request a speed profile change to them during office hours, then it should take more than a few hours for the adjustment to go through.

It could be congestion or it could be interleave and your line. It will be difficult for anyone but eircom to know for sure what the problem is.

Your pings wont improve much though unless is a line problem

If for example your pings are exceptionally high (over 150 ms to a local server) then that could indicate a congested area. Eircom would probably be aware of this and most likely are working on a plan to improve this.

It seems obvious that Eircom's upgrades have given them and other ISP more trouble than they expected as they should have prepared their network for this upgrade.

In my opinion, after the network upgrade, some areas have suffered from congestion more than others. If they were aware of this or not before everything started, will never be known, I do assume they are working out ways of improving this but it will take some time.
    OOPs
    Sorry, that was a typo. Should have read 24 hours (too gentle on the keys). Will edit it.

My pings are not that slow, but pinging direct from the router to say; rte is 30ms+

Boo

No worries

Well, then I wouldnt set my expectations to high... if you want lower pings you will probably need to move to a low interleave package... 3mb is the fastest you can get...

You are better of waiting for them to downgrade you to 4 mb and then see if you can put up with those pings...

Hopefully, in the future, Eircom will realease a low interleave profile for speeds higher than 3 mb and with a contention ratio of 24:1....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

ok I'm a little confused. Got a letter in the post from east awhile back saying that I qualify for 7.6 mb upgrade at least. Now i just got upgraded, around 6538kb/s atm. According to their site there's a 24 mb package with no download cap, and according to that eircom list my exchange got the adsl 2+ upgrade. So does this mean I can get the 24mb service??? but i have to request it or something? Since i was on the 3 meg i think i was paying close to the 42 a month or whatever it is anyway...

Another question, if i want to upgrade i dont need a new modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Why would Eircom have to use interleaving when they went to the trouble of installing ADSL2+ equipment into the exchanges?

• Advertisement

Skud wrote: »
    ok I'm a little confused. Got a letter in the post from east awhile back saying that I qualify for 7.6 mb upgrade at least. Now i just got upgraded, around 6538kb/s atm. According to their site there's a 24 mb package with no download cap, and according to that eircom list my exchange got the adsl 2+ upgrade. So does this mean I can get the 24mb service??? but i have to request it or something? Since i was on the 3 meg i think i was paying close to the 42 a month or whatever it is anyway...

Another question, if i want to upgrade i dont need a new modem?

What Exchange are you on?

Sar wrote:
    Why would Eircom have to use interleaving when they went to the trouble of installing ADSL2+ equipment into the exchanges?

That's because Eircom are not using ADSL2+ for this upgrade, unless your speed is over 7.6 mb.

So all residential customers with line profiles below or equal to 7.6 mb will still be using g.dmt instead of ADSL2+

ADSL2+ Also utilizes interleaving but it is not so noticeable.

That's because Eircom are not using ADSL2+ for this upgrade, unless your speed is over 7.6 mb.

So all residential customers with line profiles below or equal to 7.6 mb will still be using g.dmt instead of ADSL2+

ADSL2+ Also utilizes interleaving but it is not so noticeable.

Hmm....thanks but not sure I believe that, sounds like you work for BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

What Exchange are you on?
    quaker road in cork

Sar! wrote: »
    Hmm....thanks but not sure I believe that, sounds like you work for BT.

You dont believe this because you think I work for BT?

That's fine but it doesnt make much sense...

Anyhow, I will try to explain:

This has been brought from Eircom's Retail website and I am sure you are all familiar.

eircom broadband Speeds Upgrade Programme - Update

(Wednesday, 10th September 2008) eircom is currently implementing a series of DSL broadband speed upgrades which will significantly increase Internet speeds available to a large portion of eircom's retail and wholesale customers.

The upgrade programme consists of two stages:

The installation of ADSL2+ equipment in eircom telephone exchanges
    An automated software upgrade for the majority of eircom retail and wholesale customers currently on 2Mb or 3Mb broadband.

Stage 1 - ADSL2+ Upgrade
    The installation of ADSL2+ equipment in eircom telephone exchanges allows eircom to offer speeds of up to 12Mb on its network. Existing broadband customers, previously on 4Mb or 6Mb broadband, that have a line which qualifies for the faster speeds and who are connected to one of the following exchanges have been upgraded to 10Mb and 12Mb respectively.

View a list of completed exchanges

Stage 2 - Automated Software Upgrades
    The automated software upgrade for eircom retail and wholesale DSL customers is underway and will take place over a number of phases. Customers on the 2Mb product, whose lines pre-qualify will be upgraded to 3Mb and customers on the 3Mb product whose lines pre-qualify will be upgraded to 7.6Mb.

Phases 1 and 2

Phases 1 and 2 of this upgrade are now completed.

Qualifying customers in these areas have already been upgraded

Phase 3

The upgrade schedule for Phase 3 has now been finalised.

Exchanges scheduled for upgrade on the 11th September

A schedule for broadband upgrades for all remaining exchanges will be published as soon as it has been finalised and other operators have been informed.

As you can see they will upgrade customers to adsl2+ only when they were on 4mb or 6 mb products.

It doesnt mention adsl2+ for any other customers...

If you want to convince yourself check the modulation on your router, if it is adsl1 then it will say g.dmt if it is adsl2+ then it will say adsl2+

Skud wrote: »
    quaker road in cork

I am afraid not. On their website they only mention douglas in Cork...

:(

• Advertisement

All I know is that thanks to BTs ridiculous recommendation I now have an (apparently useless) ADSL2+ modem/router - I have no idea where on earth Id find out what the modulation is on it! :)

Having watched this thread for so long now I would also find it hard to see how anyone who was upgraded specifically from 3-7.6 mb wouldnt have problems with either speed/pings etc.. especially if its not using the newly installed equipment either and relying on old kit.

Sar! wrote: »
    All I know is that thanks to BTs ridiculous recommendation I now have an (apparently useless) ADSL2+ modem/router - I have no idea where on earth Id find out what the modulation is on it! :)

Having watched this thread for so long now I would also find it hard to see how anyone who was upgraded specifically from 3-7.6 mb wouldnt have problems with either speed/pings etc.. especially if its not using the newly installed equipment either and relying on old kit.

Well if you have BT's default modem that will make it a Voyager

Check the line stats, if I remember correctly, you do it by going to the router page (192.168.1.1), then into advanced mode. Then select status on the left side and then broadband line...

I think the direct link was

http://192.168.1.1/infodsl.html but I am not sure

It will say give you the modulation type, this should be either g.dmt (adsl1) or adsl2+ (adsl2+)

:)

I got rid of BTs modem/router a long long time ago - waaaaay before I had any problems with our broadband (which worked perfectly for over 3 yrs on a Netgear modem/router up until August).

Im now using a brand new Belkin ADSL2+ modem/router (thanks to BT telling me to buy a new one about 6 weeks ago) and can access the setup page on it fine on a different address/router page.

No where does it state anything to do with modulation type nor does it refer to this in any menus either....not to worry though as this really doesnt answer the main issue of BT not accepting any responsibility for this entire fiasco....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Turns out my problems (8 pages back) were not network related. The county council ripped up some phone cables!

Last time round it was ESB....

I've experienced none of the issues reported in this thread and Im connecting through priory exchange, Dublin.

I was considering downgrading to the 3mb package (or switching to magnet who I see are now available)but I read that interleaving is now in place on 3mb packages now?

Can anyone confirm this for me before I go wasting my time with BT CS?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv had people on EsatBT give a report that their speeds were poor. I serviced their PC and fixed how windows was connecting to the wireless. Last night it was VERY slow to load websites like Google, AIB and even SpeedTest.net. Never got to do a speed check, but the stats page on the router seems to suggest I was getting about 1mb (probably their package, im not familar with how the routers Esat supply work) download. Regardless, it was dialup speeds. Very painful to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

On the 7.6mb line.

Irishisptest.com is telling me I'm getting 61kbps down and 182kb up.

absolute pox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Scottish-Keith

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone is experiancing issues with BT and Ericom around 9pm-11pm of really slow, even to the state of disconnecting.

I've just moved to BT last week with the hope to avoid this, and while the connection is slightly better than Eircom, I am still suffering the same problem.

Would it be worth upping to the Broadband 3 to avoid this? (6mb-24mb from 3mb just now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone is experiancing issues with BT and Ericom around 9pm-11pm of really slow, even to the state of disconnecting.

I've just moved to BT last week with the hope to avoid this, and while the connection is slightly better than Eircom, I am still suffering the same problem.

Would it be worth upping to the Broadband 3 to avoid this? (6mb-24mb from 3mb just now)

Slow speeds at that time could be put down to contention but contention should never cause a disconnection which points to it being a line issue rather than being a problem at their end. It could even be the case of something causing interference along your line at that time causing the line stats to degrade which in turn causes slow speeds and disconnections.

The problem in moving from Eircom>BT is the same physical copper wire is used, so if you have problems relating to line issues they aren't really going to improve.
    Post up your line stats, should give us a better idea what your problem is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Post up your line stats, should give us a better idea what your problem is.

Where exactly are people getting this information from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Speeds are still unbelievably slow again today. 56k like. There was a guy out to have a look at our Phonewatch alarm yesterday, I'm starting to think that it may have had an effect on out internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

All good here,3MB

329417997.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

FX Meister wrote: »
    Sorry. I don't speak that language.
    Good man yourself.

Sully wrote: »
    Where exactly are people getting this information from?
    Your ADSL router will have all this information in the statistics area. Every router is different, but it still should be easy enough to find the information within a minute or so of looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

I'll tentatively say the problem seems to be resolved here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

speed looks ok here too, ping still :(

213.xx.xx.xx IP

329600051.png

Ping has started ...

PING www.boards.ie (89.234.66.107): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=51.916 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=51.762 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=53.620 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=52.996 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=53.242 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=5 ttl=59 time=51.679 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=6 ttl=59 time=52.800 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=7 ttl=59 time=52.041 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=8 ttl=59 time=51.869 ms
    64 bytes from 89.234.66.107: icmp_seq=9 ttl=59 time=52.781 ms

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 51.679/52.471/53.620/0.662 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Still having problems...

Sometimes it's up and syncing at 8MB other times it's off and on and syncing at 4MB. Syncing at 4.6MB at the moment.

329626189.png

I find that I have to reset my ADSL gateway nearly everyday.
    At this rate I'll only be paying for half my broadband bill for only receiving half the service. :mad:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 32ms

ping www.bbc.co.uk

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.253.67] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 212.58.253.67: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=120
    Reply from 212.58.253.67: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=120

Ping statistics for 212.58.253.67:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 23ms

ping www.microsoft.com

Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [207.46.193.254] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.193.254:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

ping www.microsoft.com

Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [65.55.21.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 65.55.21.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Browsing is brutal in Limerick. I have cancelled now. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

lads..

I switched from BT to Eircom...I was only down for about 1 hour!
    So dont let that put you off switching.. this happened this morning

anyway...i found out that eircom are the only ones to control "interleaving"...gamers know..this will increase ping times..

getting 18ms now on boards.ie ! yesss...
    BT was 70+ms....

so now!

my average bt bill was 210..so let u all know in a few months!

m.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

FredH3as, infraction given for acting the muppet!
    image removed

also number of off-topic and pointless posts deleted from thread!

• Advertisement

mattman wrote: »
    lads..

I switched from BT to Eircom...I was only down for about 1 hour!
    So dont let that put you off switching.. this happened this morning

anyway...i found out that eircom are the only ones to control "interleaving"...gamers know..this will increase ping times..

getting 18ms now on boards.ie ! yesss...
    BT was 70+ms....

so now!

my average bt bill was 210..so let u all know in a few months!

m.

Just wondering... what speed are currently on?

Advertisement