Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

was on 6 meg...pings 110+(BT)
    downgraded me to 3 meg 70+ (BT)
    now eircom 3 meg 35+ !(eircom!)

happy days...

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mattman wrote: »
    anyway...i found out that eircom are the only ones to control "interleaving"...gamers know..this will increase ping times..

getting 18ms now on boards.ie ! yesss...
    BT was 70+ms....

Makes you wonder really. Is this a ploy to get people back to Eircom? Bit under hand if it is. Questions should be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

was on 6 meg...pings 110+(BT)
    downgraded me to 3 meg 70+ (BT)
    now eircom 3 meg 35+ !(eircom!)

happy days...

m.

That makes sense. You are on a 3 mb Low interleave profile. Which corresponds to the old 2 mb profile or the new up to 3 mb profile.

Any ISP can do that but they normally try to avoid it as that would mean increasing the contention ratio from 24:1 to 48:1 and also changing the billing.

BT should have spotted that and and given you the same option, it would have saved you all the hassle (if any).

Eircom retail offer the same products than any other eircom wholesale client, that would be BT, UTV, Perlico or whoever. No ISP, including Eircom, can turn interleave off or lower it unless you are given a lower product type, currently IPEXPAND or IPCONECT (old 1 mb and 2 mb). Those products have both high and low interleave for all their speed profiles (1, 2 and 3 mb 48:1). The only product that doesnt is what they call IPSWIFT who will always be on high interleave, no matter the speed (3 to 7.6 mb 24:1).

I hope they warned you about that. Anyway unless your exchange is congested you shouldn't need to worry about your contention ratio... just make sure you are billed for a 2 mb or up to 3 mb profile not the up to 7.6mb one.

I think Eircom are studying the possiblity of implementing a new product which will allow ISPs to remove high interleave on speeds over 3 mb (4, 5, etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

I have run the "Irish isp speed test" on a couple of different providers on the 7.6MB product

my own provider is UTV and I am getting ~80ms delays leading to a QoS of 70-80%. It is impossible to use xbox live as it disconnects every 10 minutes

eircom is giving delays of 30-35ms delays leading to a QoS of 97% (old netoptia router doesn't give interleaving details, but the pings to boards are in the mid 40s, so interleaving is probably on

Imagine is all over the place delays are in the 80-90ms range but they are occurring all the time DL speed is 2.8Mbps and QoS comes out at 40-50%

Is this just a coincidence or are eircom doing some sort of throttling on other providers

Does anyone else have the eircom 7.6MB product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

On checking my bank account I've just noticed that BT have had the total gall to take FULL PAYMENT for the last 2 months :eek:

I'm in London Monday & Tuesday but as soon as I can I will be on the phone demanding a full refund.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Impermanence

This is my wonderful 3mb BT connection for the last 24 hours:

330566752.png

Every two days or so it goes down for about two days. I sent a complaint to BT on Thursday and as always they haven't bothered their arses to reply.

Is it worth my time switching to Eircom or should I wait it out a little longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

330717761.png

On 24MBs with occasional disconnects.
    I've been told by BT that my line is 1.2km from exchange to pc and that I should be getting around 20MBs.

I have to say that BT have tried. I've had multiple routers and they have always called back and been very pleasant, but I'm lucky to have a choice of Smart (hot favourites) and Magnet. I don't really want to move, but...

btw I've never even met anybody from BT. I just seem to have been very lucky with their support. They did tell me that there were factors that I wasn't aware of beyond the Eircom upgrade stuff, but I let the moment pass and didn't leap in to ask...Whattttttt factorssssss???

330717761.png

On 24MBs with occasional disconnects.
    I've been told by BT that my line is 1.2km from exchange to pc and that I should be getting around 20MBs.

I have to say that BT have tried. I've had multiple routers and they have always called back and been very pleasant, but I'm lucky to have a choice of Smart (hot favourites) and Magnet. I don't really want to move, but...

Hi... whoever you choose to go with make sure it doesnt depend on the telephone lines (most likely Magnet) to carry the signal as it really looks like your problem is either on the line or internal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

My 3MB connection on the Celbridge exchange has been very well behaved for the last few days. I've checked my IP a couple of times and I've found no problem on the 78.. IP range with pings to boards of about 15ms.
    Fingers crossed it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

did anyone get charged an extra 100e in their last bill for a mysterious service charge??

• Advertisement

No. The line has been tested on three occasions and it's perfect. I don't have the option of not using the phone lines. The Magnet I mean is dsl and upc aren't here yet. I was getting those speeds of 20MBs for a month or so until the whole Eircom etc started.

No. The line has been tested on three occasions and it's perfect. I don't have the option of not using the phone lines. The Magnet I mean is dsl and upc aren't here yet. I was getting those speeds of 20MBs for a month or so until the whole Eircom etc started.

That is just a coincidence. Eircom's upgrade is completely unrelated to your problem.

Might be internal then.. although it could always be their equipment at the exchange, but that is not likely, are you still synching at 20 mb? if it doesnt then all is pointing at your internal wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JarOfFlies

Think I'm the same.

I'm supposed to be on their "up to 7.6 package" but I'm barley getting 3.5

Also, try ringing them as ask them to lower your profile a bit. That profile might be too aggressive. If there is a fault on your line or your internal wiring is at fault, a fast profile can cause issues. Ask them to lower the profile from 20 mb down to ~14 mb for ex. They should increase your target noise margin.

You will probably get better speeds.

If they can't fix it at least this will help.

You are reading their minds Praetor!
    They have reduced me to 14Mbs and I'm trying a new old router.
    Zyxel660HW-D1
    I would be happy enough if it stopped cutting out, but I'm noticing that browsing is slower already :confused:

330752597.png

I'm getting 1.5MBs on an .iso from their site. Its all really confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

330979827.png

I now longer seem to be having problems as of late.Up to a few weeks a go it was pretty awful.Youtube also seems to have picked up with all but the odd video failing to load up:). 1mb connection btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

My problems did ease off until tonight. but i was messing with my router and i noticed that they downgraded my connection. It was 3 megs now i am the below

Downstream Rate: 2208 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps

I'm also have epic lags while playing on a steam css server with a ping of 30

331343939.png

Getting this on what is now a set 14MBs connection. Still can't quite accept that its a wiring issue on my end as it would be a hell of a coincidence that it happened when the general malaise set in.

Anybody have any experience of Smart's 24Mbs product?
    I've read their forums and I don't see them as a magic fix and BT support cannot be faulted for trying, but...
    I was getting 19Mbs + for a month and it was good.
    Any informed opinion welcomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

It is very common a newly installed 24mb package to have the speed drop over a number of weeks. This occurs as errors are monitored on your line and the rate adapts to reduce these. ADSL 2+ is after a rate adaptive product.

It is not uncommon for people to go from 20mb to 12mb as this is the best mix of line speed and error reduction.

You can of course opt to have your profile increased but this will mean you forego any support in the event of line issues.

The easier option is to purchase a belkin router and configure the SNR yourself to gain more speed.

Bur remember an SNR of 6 or lower means dropouts are inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 donkeyradish

mega-slow tonight after 2 or 3 weeks of decent rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

This is my wonderful 3mb BT connection for the last 24 hours:

330566752.png

Every two days or so it goes down for about two days. I sent a complaint to BT on Thursday and as always they haven't bothered their arses to reply.

Is it worth my time switching to Eircom or should I wait it out a little longer?

Same here. Don't know why their network is performing so crapply. As far as I know they used to be pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

lads..lads..lads..

See can you find a discussion on bad Ericom broadband ?

I switched to Eircom for about 4 days now(Was with BT)...and my 3 meg is perfect with 16ms pings on boards.ie !!!

I say again! Anyone find a chat on Bad Eircom Pings/Speed!?!?!

M.

ps: TDM.IE call of duty 4 multiplayer I can get pings of 38ms-45ms!! Brilliant!
    with BT it was 70+ !

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Thought this would be fixed by now.

Has to reconnect 5 times. Was getting pings of 400-500 to www.boards.ie
    Speed wasn't constant either, i was getting a max of 1mb.

No wonder my PS3 was taking so long to download Bioshock and PES09.

Anyway, did the usual trick and got a good IP.

New speed ;)

332592066.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

lads..lads..lads..

I switched to Eircom for about 4 days now(Was with BT)...and my 3 meg is perfect with 16ms pings on boards.ie !!!

M.

with BT it was 70+ !

You dont need to move to eircom to get that kind of pings. All they have done is dropped down your profile to the old 2 mb service. So basically you are on a lower profile...

Make sure you are not paying for their 3 mb otherwise they are pulling your leg!

For example, looking back in this thread I think it was hellboy who had a similar situation, he was dropped down to the old 2 mb service and he didnt need to move to Eircom. At least that is what the post say...

I dont think you will see anyone on a speed higher than 3 mb getting those kind of pings... otherwise ask them to upgrade you to 4 or 5mb, see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

This is true, we have also finally be dropped back to 3mb on BT - pings back to normal and no more disconnects. Only thing is now of course there is a higher contention ratio of 48:1

There is clearly a big problem on BT once you go beyond 3mb and until they sort this out they shouldnt even be offering the service IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

My broadband was down for the entire day today.

It has been really bad for the last six weeks and all BT had to say to me today was
    We have no fix time at present. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information.

Now I'm sorry, but six weeks of bad to non-existent service and all they can tell me at this time is they still don't know how long it will take to fix?????

If I do not get a satisfactory answer from them tomorrow, I'm cancelling.

BT simply are not capable of doing their job.
    They should have tested this far more thoroughly then they have before rolling it out.

Despite all of this, I have yet to hear them actually even tell me what is wrong. I keep getting vague answers and no help.

I am not impressed BT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

lads..lads..lads..

M.

with BT it was 70+ !
    I know of several people in my area that are with Eircom and all of them have been downgraded due to bad speeds & high pings.
    Reason as to why you don't hear many Eircom customers complaining I would say is down to the fact that most people with 3MB and above are with some other provider.

Majority of speed issues in my opinion are not a BT problem, it's Eircoms upgrades that have caused high congestion on lines. Myself and my friends were all fine up until the upgrades happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

evilhomer wrote: »
    BT simply are not capable of doing their job.
    They should have tested this far more thoroughly then they have before rolling it out.
    It wasn't BT's place to test this out, exchanges & lines are Eircoms, Eircom rolled out the upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It wasn't BT's place to test this out, exchanges & lines are Eircoms, Eircom rolled out the upgrades.

No, but it IS BTs responsibility to provide the service they have advertised which quite clearly they cannot.

Advertisement