Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Any word on when BT will be giving us the 30 day stat counters? The rolling usage stats were introduced months ago and I'm still only seeing the old calendar-month stats.

Sorry for going off topic but this thread is where all the BT users are congregating now so hopefully the mods won't mind. Didn't want to start a new thread for such a minor question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Phlann wrote: »
    Any word on when BT will be giving us the 30 day stat counters? The rolling usage stats were introduced months ago and I'm still only seeing the old calendar-month stats.

Sorry for going off topic but this thread is where all the BT users are congregating now so hopefully the mods won't mind. Didn't want to start a new thread for such a minor question.

Hi!

It was postponed that's all I know :(

Dont worry... this thread is already a bit off topic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

Bohrio wrote: »
    The first symptoms are consistant to you being on an agressive profile.

The 2 mb profile is probably similar to the one you were before, therefore, if putting you back to a profile below to the one you were before hasnt solved the problem then you need to be looking elsewhere, for example, and issue with your internal setup. Have you tried a different router? We can't blame all on Eircom.

If you keep blaming all this on the upgrade you are never gonna get it fixed as you need to open your mind to other possibilities. Again, what its happening to you is not related to this thread, you should open a new one and ask people for advice.

If your connection is intermittent and slow your are most likely going to have high pings. Once you get your intermittency sorted the rest should go back to normal.

I think Bohrio should tell us why EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS 250+ POSTS, DATING BACK TO OCTOBER 2007 ARE ABOUT BT and in EVERY SINGLE ONE HE DEFENDS BT OR GIVES SOME KIND OF BT SUPPORT LIKE TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS.

He sounds like one of the brainless monkeys who work for BT, do yourself a favour buddy, apply for Macdonalds..better prospects.

Just click on his name and "click find all posts", unbeleivable.

I am going constantly ring BT all day tomorrow.

I am also going to record every conversation and try and post it on the web somewhere. Its comical, I can have a conversation and an hour later someone else can deny everything that was said in the previous conversation.

Everytime I ring they ask me the same questions, then give me a different explanation for the problems.
    More then one has blamed Eircom, then I ring back 2 hours later and the next monkey says Eircom have nothing to do with it.

jack222 wrote: »
    I think Bohrio should tell us why EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS 250+ POSTS, DATING BACK TO OCTOBER 2007 ARE ABOUT BT and in EVERY SINGLE ONE HE DEFENDS BT OR GIVES SOME KIND OF BT SUPPORT LIKE TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS.

He sounds like one of the brainless monkeys who work for BT, do yourself a favour buddy, apply for Macdonalds..better prospects.

Just click on his name and "click find all posts", unbeleivable.

Wow I am impressed... u are very intelligent... "click find all posts" guess nobody else figure would ever figure that out...

But I am afraid you are wrong... I dont defend BT on every post as you said... in fact look 3 or 4 post back and you can see yourself... I did work for them in the past however you dont see me making things up about them being congested and similar stuff...

Grow up please

• Advertisement

jack222 wrote: »
    I am going constantly ring BT all day tomorrow.

I am also going to record every conversation and try and post it on the web somewhere. Its comical, I can have a conversation and an hour later someone else can deny everything that was said in the previous conversation.

Everytime I ring they ask me the same questions, then give me a different explanation for the problems.
    More then one has blamed Eircom, then I ring back 2 hours later and the next monkey says Eircom have nothing to do with it.

Another not very intelligent move. If you want to get it sorted follow peoples advice.

Why are you so sure all this is related to the upgrade?

If you want to get this sorted ringing them 24/7 wont fix your problem at all. There is no magic button that will fix your broadband.

Have you followed all their troubleshooting steps? Have you tried a different router? All this little things is what you need to be doing all day tomorrow...

Anyway is up to you, its obvious you dont want people's help, or at least mine.

Wow I am impressed... u are very intelligent... "click find all posts" guess nobody else figure would ever figure that out...

But I am afraid you are wrong... I dont defend BT on every post as you said... in fact look 3 or 4 post back and you can see yourself... I did work for them in the past however you dont see me making things up about them being congested and similar stuff...

Grow up please

Ah, so you did work as a BT receptionist. Those damn monkeys. Did you get a bananna for every customer you managed to fog off?.

What is it, you loved the place so much you still love doing their work...I think not. Stop posting your biased rubbish on the forum.

I am sorry for being rude guys, but I have had enough of BT. Their "support" team are so unhelpful and brainless its disgusting

Grow up please

Ah, so you did work as a BT receptionist. Those damn monkeys. Did you get a bananna for every customer you managed to fog off?.

What is it, you loved the place so much you still love doing their work...I think not. Stop posting your biased rubbish on the forum.

I am sorry for being rude guys, but I have had enough of BT. Their "support" team are so unhelpful and brainless its disgusting

Also, it would be very interesting if someone from boards.ie could tell us if this guy is actually posting from bt headqaurters:P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Hi!

It was postponed that's all I know :(

Dont worry... this thread is already a bit off topic ;)

Why am I not surprised...

Cheers, anyway.

Jack222 - Seriously... shut up. You'll struggle to find a single BT customer on here that Bohrio hasn't taken time out to help over the last few months so maybe listen to the guy and show a little appreciation. He's possibly the only BT employee who actually gives a shít. Or former employee, whichever.

If you want to be angry with him, be angry with him for having a super-fast FTTH connection :mad:

• Advertisement

Phlann wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised...

Cheers, anyway.

Jack222 - Seriously... shut up. You'll struggle to find a single BT customer on here that Bohrio hasn't taken time out to help over the last few months so maybe listen to the guy and show a little appreciation. He's possibly the only BT employee who actually gives a shít. Or former employee, whichever.

If you want to be angry with him, be angry with him for having a super-fast FTTH connection :mad:

It should take too long but then again, so I was told the same a few months back and dont worry about him at the end of the day he is the one with an issue. If he doesnt want to listen well... is his problem, not mine, so good luck to him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jack222, infracted and two day ban for personal abuse and acting the muppet, now lads get back on topic and take your tinfoil hats off!

If anyone has a problem with a post report it!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 molc

Moved over to BT Option 2( 3mb) there two weeks ago and I've been having awful problems at peak times.

Off peak, pings are about 20ish to boards. At peak (6pm-midnight), these jump to around 100-200ms. However, the real kicker is when playing games. It seems to just lag every now and again for 2 - 3 seconds and then comes back. Also, at peak times, it gets very slow (say 40kb/s downloads)

Tested with the BT router, then the eircom router. Using a single wire to my computer. Only one phone connection in the house used. Changed filters. Changed testing computer. Still the same.

I never noticed these issues with my 3mb Eircom line and starting to question why I ever transferred.

Currently doing the ping pong with BT support. No solution yet after a week of pestering.

My question: Is this normal. Should I just go back to Eircom is what I'm wondering at this stage :/

molc wrote: »
    Moved over to BT Option 2( 3mb) there two weeks ago and I've been having awful problems at peak times.

Off peak, pings are about 20ish to boards. At peak (6pm-midnight), these jump to around 100-200ms. However, the real kicker is when playing games. It seems to just lag every now and again for 2 - 3 seconds and then comes back. Also, at peak times, it gets very slow (say 40kb/s downloads)

Tested with the BT router, then the eircom router. Using a single wire to my computer. Only one phone connection in the house used. Changed filters. Changed testing computer. Still the same.

I never noticed these issues with my 3mb Eircom line and starting to question why I ever transferred.

Currently doing the ping pong with BT support. No solution yet after a week of pestering.

My question: Is this normal. Should I just go back to Eircom is what I'm wondering at this stage :/

Well that depends. Going back to Eircom my leave you in the same position.

You are on 3 mb now, were you on 3 mb before?

What's your exchange?

It looks like congestion... what are your line stats?

run a tracert to somewhere, like boards.ie please

Was 3mb before. Moved to 7.6 (option 3) on BT, then down to 3mb to try and get a better interleave pattern.

I'm on the pelletstown exchange.

I'll post the traceroutes when I get home this evening. Cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

My BT connection has been going a bit nuts as of late. Loads of disconnects, and a load of DNS requests unresolved (I can click refresh several times in IE and it will eventually come up). Would anyone be able to spot something fishy with these stats? Keep in mind, I just reset my router.
    Mode : ADSL2+  
    Line Coding : Trellis On  

Downstream Upstream 
    Rate (Kbps) : 12558  1019  
    SNR Margin (dB) : 5.0  12.0  
    Attenuation (dB) : 38.5  20.7  
    Output Power (dBm) : 12.8  0.0  
    MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message) : 59  12  
    B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame) : 195  127  
    M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) : 1  1  
    T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) : 2  1  
    R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) : 8  6  
    S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) : 0.4982  3.9851  
    L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame) : 3276  269  
    D (interleaver depth) : 64  8  
    Delay (msec) : 7  7  
    Super Frames : 91747  87352  
    Super Frame Errors : 5224  4294967264  
    RS Words : 11927164  1489455  
    RS Correctable Errors : 4377455  4294967226  
    RS Uncorrectable Errors : 206173  N/A  
    HEC Errors : 4923  0  
    OCD Errors : 11  0  
    LCD Errors : 0  0  
    Total Cells : 43781921  1075186   
    Data Cells : 49562   869  
    Bit Errors : 0  0  
    Total ES : 348  0  
    Total SES : 90  0  
    Total UAS : 32  0 

Also did a bit error rate test
    Test Time (sec):    20 
    Total Transferred Bits:    0227465856 
    Total Error Bits:     010194 
    Error Ratio:     4.48e-05 

Using a DSL-2740B and the maintenance test passes everything at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

just move back to eircom!

Like I did!

ALL problems solved! 17ms pings..

super fast web page downloads, and im on 3 meg!

fab!

move and shut up!

matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'd just like to say BTs fair usage policy, or more importantly, their throttling solution, is a crock of steaming shíte.

Isn't it some sort of false advertising to use the word "unlimited" when there's a clear limit in place?

What good is 8MB when they cap you after a measly 100GB downloaded in a month?
    So it was a high dl month for me, but then the

Also, their technical support drove my mother mental trying to fix it after one upgrade (haven't they ever heard of case numbers?), and after a month, a whole MONTH of no broadband, they finally got it going, blamed it on Eircom (fair enough) and then I was capped within the week.

Rage.

exiztone wrote: »
    My BT connection has been going a bit nuts as of late. Loads of disconnects, and a load of DNS requests unresolved (I can click refresh several times in IE and it will eventually come up). Would anyone be able to spot something fishy with these stats? Keep in mind, I just reset my router.
    Mode : ADSL2+  
    Line Coding : Trellis On  

Downstream Upstream 
    Rate (Kbps) : 12558  1019  
    SNR Margin (dB) : 5.0  12.0  
    Attenuation (dB) : 38.5  20.7  
    Output Power (dBm) : 12.8  0.0  
    MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message) : 59  12  
    B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame) : 195  127  
    M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) : 1  1  
    T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) : 2  1  
    R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) : 8  6  
    S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) : 0.4982  3.9851  
    L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame) : 3276  269  
    D (interleaver depth) : 64  8  
    Delay (msec) : 7  7  
    Super Frames : 91747  87352  
    Super Frame Errors : 5224  4294967264  
    RS Words : 11927164  1489455  
    RS Correctable Errors : 4377455  4294967226  
    RS Uncorrectable Errors : 206173  N/A  
    HEC Errors : 4923  0  
    OCD Errors : 11  0  
    LCD Errors : 0  0  
    Total Cells : 43781921  1075186   
    Data Cells : 49562   869  
    Bit Errors : 0  0  
    Total ES : 348  0  
    Total SES : 90  0  
    Total UAS : 32  0 

Also did a bit error rate test
    Test Time (sec):    20 
    Total Transferred Bits:    0227465856 
    Total Error Bits:     010194 
    Error Ratio:     4.48e-05 

Using a DSL-2740B and the maintenance test passes everything at the moment.

You have quite a few errors there, but it only seems to affect your downstream.

Ask them to check your line but before you call them make sure you are on the main socket and not running an extension. Those errors could be caused by dodgy filters too so try removing everything from your line. If you have an alarm or sky box, make sure is filtered.

Is your phone line working well?

I suggest you give them a call. It wont hurt!

and molc... Pelletstown exchange... well... I have seen at least 2 other people in this forum complaining on that same exchange complaining of slow speeds... not normal as Pelletstown is a very small one.

It looks like congestion, if you dont get this sorted soon I suggest moving somewhere else out of Eircom's dominium. Maybe Magnet or NTL? Not sure what options you have.... sorry

I'm all for fair usage, if you're downloading over 100GB on a residential line I am suspect of the data sources ;) However, the base service should be up to scratch. i.e. low latency at peak times with few lag spikes and packet loss.

I just want to know if it's a BT problem or a more generic Eircom copper issue with the services provided. One I have power to control by voting with my feet, the other I do not.

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote:
    and molc... Pelletstown exchange... well... I have seen at least 2 other people in this forum complaining on that same exchange complaining of slow speeds... not normal as Pelletstown is a very small one.

It looks like congestion, if you dont get this sorted soon I suggest moving somewhere else out of Eircom's dominium. Maybe Magnet or NTL? Not sure what options you have.... sorry

Yay :/ It could well be the issue. Maybe with the upgrades by Eircom, the exchange is now overloaded as this was not an issue until I moved to BT (could have been the line upgrades at the same time, I'm unlucky in that the two events have coincided). Whatever the issue, I'm tied to Eircom copper in the area from what I can see.

molc wrote: »
    Yay :/ It could well be the issue. Maybe with the upgrades by Eircom, the exchange is now overloaded as this was not an issue until I moved to BT (could have been the line upgrades at the same time, I'm unlucky in that the two events have coincided). Whatever the issue, I'm tied to Eircom copper in the area from what I can see.

That really sucks. Well if is congestion hopefully it will be this sorted, someday..

Ask BT to escalate this to Eircom. Not that they are obliged to fix it but at least they will make some noise...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

That really sucks. Well if is congestion hopefully it will be this sorted, someday..

Ask BT to escalate this to Eircom. Not that they are obliged to fix it but at least they will make some noise...

No chance of them escalating, I'm on this exchange and after two months BT have decided my router must be broken because they have fixed the issue....sure what else can it be :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I'd just like to say BTs fair usage policy, or more importantly, their throttling solution, is a crock of steaming shíte.

Isn't it some sort of false advertising to use the word "unlimited" when there's a clear limit in place?

Not in the eyes of the ASAI as of yet, however you are more then free to lodge a complaint with them over it if you feel so strong about it, http://www.asai.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On the last two Saturday afternoons my BT Broadband (3Mb, Foxrock exchange) has gone to zero service, I tried ringing 1904 but the recorded message basically said that I'd be a fool to stay on hold as the queue to complain was so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I'm on the Whitehall exchange and I have noticed a lot of disconnections lately. I called support but it's like banging your head against a brick wall.

At the moment my connection is gone, the router keeps prompting me to hit connect when I do it just cycles back to the hit connect page, lovely stuff BT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

What router are you currently using with BT service?

Just the standard BT Voyager 2110

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Kone wrote: »
    Just the standard BT Voyager 2110

Ok, Do you know how to access the your default gateway? If you can you should be able check what current firmware is on voyager homepage with the connection information.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's 3.63, which was supposed to resolved this issue.

Advertisement