Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tradman

tradman wrote: »
    I have been having the same problem as everyone else. I got on to BT Tech support for over an hour yesterday. Did every test possible. They are not really interested in ping times and speedtest.net stuff. They ask to do stupid stuff "Can you dsconnect your eircom phonewatch alarm - it might be that, or it could be Sky digital". Just make sure you are ready for these stupid trouble shooting tips.

They gave me a url : url.ie/qv. It starts to download a 600MB file. On a 3MB connection you should get 600 kbps - I was getting between 49 and 55 ! One tenth of a 3MB connection. Anyways they are putting me back to a 3MB connection in the next few days. They didnt mention a charge but other posters have said they were going to be charged 30 euro. I hope it works - the thought of giving eircom my money makes me ill :)
    *UPDATE* Problem sorted. Sorry guys I wasn't very clear. Yes a 3Mb should max out at 350 but i meant my 3MB upgrade (7.6MB) should be at 600kpbs. Anyways disconnecting Phonewatch is never an option. I agree sometimes these measures work but not if (like me) you have done all of these already, told the tech guy that but he still thinks its the problem. He told me he hadn't a clue what to do so I had to tell him to drop me back to the standard 3MB connection. It took 6 persistent calls and nearly 2 weeks of waiting for BT to do it. It came through today and broadband back to normal with good speeds. These upgrades are causing trouble to so many people. BT's line is that they have officially fixed it - obviously not though. Thanks for the advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone in the Dundalk / Louth area having problems with their speeds and pings this past week from the hours of 5pm till 1 - 3am ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Based in Drogheda myself.

And since the upgrades, went from 2MB to 3MB supposedly, the pings and speeds vary. Seems to be very poor from 2pm til 1am. If I didn't know any better I'd swear Eircom were doing some form of traffic shaping during the most popular hours.

My 3MB is down in speed again, been like this since just after 6pm today.

342691137.png

BT 3MB connection, check this out for a ping, 463ms, speeds are just as bad.

Never had an issue until these god dam so called upgrades, thanks Eircon :mad:

344890235.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My bt seems back up to speed again after AWFUL speedtest results there back in august

1mb connection
    345279320.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ulysses1

I guess someone has finally had enough of their slow speed:

http://www.bt.com/ireland

Think they want a little respect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

ulysses1 wrote: »
    I guess someone has finally had enough of their slow speed:

http://www.bt.com/ireland

Think they want a little respect

Any translation available? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

kleefarr wrote: »
    Any translation available? :confused:

some guy making a load of promises that he knows he can't keep.................................and the photo is that of a wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

hellboy99 wrote: »
    BT 3MB connection, check this out for a ping, 463ms, speeds are just as bad.

Never had an issue until these god dam so called upgrades, thanks Eircon :mad:

344890235.png

Same. It's been going alright for the past few weeks since the first fix after THAT "upgrade" but speeds and synchs died a death of the weekend just gone, again. Timing out, non-responsive and lots of disconnects. A guy I IM came on the other night to ask why I kept logging in and out of MSN every few minutes, said that he'd had at least 30 pop-ups that I'd signed in/out.

You know as happy as I've been with BT for the last 5 yrs even with their billing and CS problems, their recent performance and attitude taken are making me consider returning toi eircon for the first time ever.

[edit] F*ck this, 3 disconnects and a complete death of my signal for about 5 mins since I posted this. Ping is all over the shop, speedtest is giving me about 800kbps on a 3meg line. Oddly enough upload speeds are not affected.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    You know as happy as I've been with BT for the last 5 yrs even with their billing and CS problems, their recent performance and attitude taken are making me consider returning toi eircon for the first time ever.
    Same here, but switching back to Eircom won't make any difference I don't think.
    Frist problem I had coincided with the upgrade and funny enough this latest fault coincides with Eircom's new Gamer pack :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bt service was atrocious this weekend, again!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

LADS!!!

I was with BT...but switched back to Eircom...

and it ALL WORKS..;.

Just switch for the love of god!

m.

pings 16ms ....and downloads at 315 !!!

346018449.png

faceman wrote: »
    Bt service was atrocious this weekend, again!

Yep. Something funny going on me thinks.
    It's amazing how all of the people going back to Eircon immediately have all their problems solved. Now what could that indicate? Surely the Eircon lines aren't better quality, ah, aren't they all Eircons lines?
    How do all of these people flooding back to Eircon not suffer from over crowded lines or things like that?

As I said, it seems a bit strange to me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

mattman wrote: »
    LADS!!!

and it ALL WORKS..;.

m.

346018449.png

You've gone from a 3mb>7.6mb line from BT to a solid 3mb line with Eircom.
    You wont be getting a free upgrade unless you ask for it now.
    Thats what I bet happened.

The reasons for the slowness and ping increases with BT is because as soon as your line is ready for the Upgrade of Death, you get those symptoms with or without speed increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

lads anyone know if bt increased their usage policy? im on 7.6 mb. I was being warned I was going to go over the limit for most of the month and now it's stopped, and im still under the usage limit of 30 gig... Eircom says 50 gig now and bt say unlimited on their site with an * so it's not really unlimited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

KoKane wrote: »
    You've gone from a 3mb>7.6mb line from BT to a solid 3mb line with Eircom.
    You wont be getting a free upgrade unless you ask for it now.
    Thats what I bet happened.

The reasons for the slowness and ping increases with BT is because as soon as your line is ready for the Upgrade of Death, you get those symptoms with or without speed increase.

Free upgrade? I don't want it. I'm a gamer. PING times are god to me...!

When EVER? do u get 7 meg downloads anyway!? who cares? 300Kbps is great.
    U dont get them those share file programs, and how often are u in a hurry to download a 1 gig file?

Anyway, fast ping times = faster browsing of the web.

Easy!

mm.

ps: my line can handle up to 6meg. but that means crap pings. and 3 meg is cheaper anyway!

mattman wrote: »
    LADS!!!

and it ALL WORKS..;.

m.

346018449.png

Friend of mine up the road from me is with Eircom and he too is having the same problems as me, so no point me moving to Eircom.

347597418.png

KoKane wrote: »
    I had the above issues after the upgrade and was downgraded back to 3MB. A week after that and BT doing what ever they were doing the problem was solved.
    Now the problem is back, slow speeds and ping times worse than ever i.e. 463ms and it's all coincided with the release of Eircom's "gamer pack".

I'm really, really, getting sick and tired of this and I keep asking myself what am I paying for :confused: :mad:

Just got a call from BT saying that Eircom have fixed the issue, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Just got a call from BT saying that Eircom have fixed the issue, fingers crossed.

Lucky you. :)

I just spent 30 minutes rebooting my modem trying to get a connection. Got one eventually, but only syncing at half my expected speed. :mad:

Have literally just paid for a new modem Linksys WAG160N, so I'll see if it makes any difference when it arrives. It had better.

Everything ok here so far, first night in weeks :)

pings to the boards between 20 - 30ms

348143352.png

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

348919213.png

This is coming from our 24mb line the past few days :(

Just to clarify: we got throttled cos we went over the 100gb *unlimited limit in the past month apparently. *shrugs* should be back to normal in a few days

Lucky you. :)

I just spent 30 minutes rebooting my modem trying to get a connection. Got one eventually, but only syncing at half my expected speed. :mad:
    I spoke too soon, it's gone again (all weekend) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone know if Smart Telecom are any better, cause I don't think this problem is ever going to be unless, not unless Eircom get there finger out and change/upgrade lines & exchanges.

So much for the Minster saying the whole country will have broadband soon, that may happen but at what price, we all get broadband that can only run at speeds just above dial-up :rolleyes:

I spoke too soon, it's gone again (all weekend) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone know if Smart Telecom are any better, cause I don't think this problem is ever going to be unless, not unless Eircom get there finger out and change/upgrade lines & exchanges.

So much for the Minster saying the whole country will have broadband soon, that may happen but at what price, we all get broadband that can only run at speeds just above dial-up :rolleyes:

It looks like the telephone network just can't handle the upgrades. Would I be correct in thinking that this responsibility would lay with Eircon? If so, they should be made to do something about it, although it does look like Eircom customers are getting their problems sorted.

It looks like the telephone network just can't handle the upgrades. Would I be correct in thinking that this responsibility would lay with Eircon? If so, they should be made to do something about it, although it does look like Eircom customers are getting their problems sorted.
    Indeed it is Eircons responsibility but they don't seem to be bothered at all by the mess they've made. A friend of mine is with Eircom and experiencing the same problems and he's been told twice now by them that there is no such problems what so ever :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I'm experiencing extremely bad latency over the past while with BT.

Our exchange has been upgraded too allow for the 7.2 broadband package.

I rang BT but they weren't very helpfull and just said they will look into it and hung up.....

I love too play games online, but now I can't

I used too live in an area where I could get smart broadband and my god that was like a dream connection.

I just wish all service providers could be as good as them.

Speeds have pretty much been this from 5pm today on my so called 3MB connection

349688655.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm with BT3mb and the speeds are great (great as in i nearly always get 300-350kb/s down)

I wish eircom would hurry up and get the Carlow exchange sorted for 7.6mb

• Advertisement

I'm with BT3mb and the speeds are great (great as in i nearly always get 300-350kb/s down)

I wish eircom would hurry up and get the Carlow exchange sorted for 7.6mb
    Just hope your speeds don't die on you when the upgrade happens.

Advertisement