Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this TV good for gaming?

• 31-08-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

It's a Samsung 32" LCD. Is it good at €580 or would I be better off buying a Beko 32" for €400 or even a 40/42" for €600? My budget is €600 and I know Samsung are good so will I be able to see the phone in GTA better on that than a cheaper brand?

Links:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32WLU5

Also, can either of these be hooked up to a laptop via s-video?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Samsung are good but thats an old 4 series HDTV. I think the Toshiba 32'' on the site would be better in this case, especially with the 20,000:1 contrast ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Thanks, didn't see that, and its a decent bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Thanks, didn't see that, and its a decent bit cheaper.

I got one of those toshibas recently, colour balance is a bit odd out of the box. Bit of tweaking has sorted it out mostly for me, im never really good at that kinda of thing so its not quite 100% yet, but where it counts the tv is good, its sharp and keeps up with the action in games. Does miss some of the fancier features like vga in and pip that another hdtv my family owns, but that cost 1700 euro 2 years ago. Times they a do move on. It also has a dtv interface, i dont have a clue how it works, but by the time the goverment implements dtv here the tv will probably be long clapped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

hd tvs can never be truly good for gaming due to screen lag, thats why i am purchasing a monitor for my 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Top end HDTVs are down to 4ms-6ms or lower at this stage as good as a decent 24'' LCD monitor 3 years ago. Thats as good a response time as you need, you wouldn't even see the lag.

I'm still using an old 19'' LCD on my gaming PC with a 12ms response time and I don't detect any lag at all in fast paced FPS games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

neilk32 wrote: »
    hd tvs can never be truly good for gaming due to screen lag, thats why i am purchasing a monitor for my 360.

Or you could just buy a plasma....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The Samsung Series 4 are only 720p HD Ready and Not 1080p Full HD like the series 5 and 6.

The output from an Xbox in 1080p is staggeringly clear. When I got my 40" series 6 I played through all my games again to appreciate the added clarity full HD provides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have a 40" 4 Series Samsung, and there is no noticeable screen lag.
    No problems at all with it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The Samsung Series 4 are only 720p HD Ready and Not 1080p Full HD like the series 5 and 6.

The output from an Xbox in 1080p is staggeringly clear. When I got my 40" series 6 I played through all my games again to appreciate the added clarity full HD provides.

If your buying a hdtv under 40 inches, full hd wont make a blind bit of difference. Anyway, 98% of ps3 and xbox 360 games dont support hd ready 1080p ("full hd")

Added clarity your tv's built in upscaler provides.
    No current xbox games run natively at 1080p.
    The xbox and your tv's scaler can make them look sharper in some cases alright. I know mine does, but it's not actually outputting a pure signal.

• Advertisement

Most current xbox games run at 1080i minimum as stated on the reverse of each box no?

Of my collection the following list 1080p as a possible output:

Mass Effect - up to 1080p
    Gears of War - up to 1080i
    Lost Odyssey - up to 1080p
    Splinter Cell: DA - up to 1080i
    GTA IV - up to 1080p
    Halo 3 - UP TO 1080p
    FIFA 08 - up to 1080p
    RB6:V2 - up to 1080p

Are the listed modes on the boxes wrong?

And I fail to see how a TV under 40" would not benefit from a higher res.

That's like saying a computer monitor running 1280x720 would look as sharp as the same size monitor running 1920 x 1080.

Higher res = sharper images regardless of screen size IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Most current xbox games run at 1080i minimum as stated on the reverse of each box no?

Of my collection the following list 1080p as a possible output:

Mass Effect - up to 1080p
    Gears of War - up to 1080i
    Lost Odyssey - up to 1080p
    Splinter Cell: DA - up to 1080i
    GTA IV - up to 1080p
    Halo 3 - UP TO 1080p
    FIFA 08 - up to 1080p
    RB6:V2 - up to 1080p

Are the listed modes on the boxes wrong?

And I fail to see how a TV under 40" would not benefit from a higher res.

That's like saying a computer monitor running 1280x720 would look as sharp as the same size monitor running 1920 x 1080.

Higher res = sharper images regardless of screen size IMO.

Again, xbox upscales these games. In fact, both halo 3 and gtviv for example aren't even 720p native!

They still look great sure, and better if you do have a tv that allows for them to be upscaled.

Regarding screen size, You would most certainly have trouble seeing the diff between a 720p and a 1080p output on two side by side 26" tvs.

Now, if I had two 46's, A whole different kettle of fish.

Fair enough.

Luckily for me I've a 40" so I certainly notice the diff. Specifically when streaming a high-def movie through the Xbox from my PC.

Advertisement