Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD .avi films on the 360

• 31-08-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, just wondering is it possible to watch HD avi files on the 360 or is it only standard definition avis that work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just wondering is it possible to watch HD avi files on the 360 or is it only standard definition avis that work?

No, hi-def work too. And they look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The x-box won't play .mkv(HD) files. You need to use something like tversity in conjunction with a powerful pc to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

powerful pc ? doesn't the pc stream to the xbox which plays it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Yeah - but the decoding is done on the PC first prior to streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

alternatively, it's pretty easy to convert mkv files into xbox compatible formats, and there's plenty of guides out there to do it.

google for gotsent and mkv xbox converting. takes about 10 minutes to convert a movie. hard to stream such big files wirelessly though, so either stick the xbox onto a wired network or use an external hard drive connected to it to playback files.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yea know the way xbox said that ya could watch divx on the box..
    when I burn a few .avi's onto a dvd-r and put it in the box it just says "media disc" burn i can't actualy view/load the dvd. or is it not possible to watch them this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Lenny wrote: »
    when I burn a few .avi's onto a dvd-r and put it in the box it just says "media disc" burn i can't actualy view/load the dvd. or is it not possible to watch them this way

Just get a cheap usb key,preferably 4 gig and format it to fat32 and then put the avi's onto it,and stick it into the usb slot on the xbox,it will work,the avi files have to be xvid avi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

rejkin wrote: »
    Just get a cheap usb key,preferably 4 gig and format it to fat32 and then put the avi's onto it,and stick it into the usb slot on the xbox,it will work,the avi files have to be xvid avi

QFT

Works for me all the time ! Just bought a cheap 2GIG memory stick and it does the job,my mate uses his I RIVER and didnt have to format it at all just plugs it in and hay presto plays all avis fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Lenny wrote: »

You can play the videos from a disc but you don't access the disc directly, like you would a game or DVD video. Instead, go to the Media blade, select videos, select the disc as the source and it should show any videos that can be played and you can start playback from there...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ah right thanks for the help lads. I think I treid going into the media part before and couldn't find were to go to from there. Would just rather stick to the burn to dvd and watch them from that. though the usb might be a better idea cause the xbox fan would slow down and be a bit quiter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

So does the XBOX support x264 yet? I know it supports HD WMV but its hard to get the format...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea the Xbox plays back H.264 files. I've downloaded a few now and have them streaming down from my PC upstairs. Have a gigabit wired network so it works grand (though not sure if the Xbox is gigabit.) There was talk that all the NICs are Gigabit now but only advertised at fast ethernet. Not sure if there is a decent way to test it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Sounds like you are using TVersity or something to stream to the xbox are you?

I would be wanting to put the x264 files on my external HD and plug it in to the xbox and play the files directly from there....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Aye - using TVersity. I prefer the H.264 files because the 5.1 audio streams to my Amp perfectly via the xbox. Had a little bit of a hit and miss with a 5.1 soundtrack on an Xvid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

H.264 files won't work with TVersity when in mkv container

Advertisement