Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Reads for Teenagers.

Options
  • 31-08-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

OK, I'm currently reading "english as a Second Language" by Megan Crane and, to be honest, it isn't all that exciting. Before that I also read "Big Woo" by Susie Day (BORING!) and was beginning the Russel Brand autobiogaphy (I really should finish that....)

But I was wondering, do any of you reccomend books for teenagers? I've read most of the bestsellers (Twilight saga, Harry Potter, Tales of the Otori, It Girl series....)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Some of my favourite writers for teenagers at the moment and their best (in my opinion, obviously) books:
    Sarah Dessen - Dreamland; Just Listen; Someone Like You; The Truth About Forever
    Deb Caletti - Wild Roses; The Nature of Jade
    Meg Rosoff - How I Live Now; What I Was
    Libba Bray - A Great and Terrible Beauty (first book of a trilogy)
    Rachel Cohn - You Know Where To Find Me; Naomi and Ely's No-Kiss List (co-written with David Levithan)
    Laurie Halse Anderson - Speak; Prom; Twisted
    E Lockhart - The Boyfriend List; Fly on the Wall
    Gabrielle Zevin - Elsewhere; Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
    Jacqueline Wilson - Kiss (and most of her other titles aimed at teenagers rather than younger readers)
    John Green - Looking For Alaska
    Elizabeth Scott - Bloom
    Meg Cabot - All-American Girl; Avalon High
    Sara Zarr - Story of a Girl
    Aidan Chambers - This Is All

Also, published as written-for-adults but featuring interesting teenage characters as narrators:
    Tom Perrotta - Election
    Curtis Sittenfeld - Prep
    Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper; The Tenth Circle; Salem Falls

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

thanks :D now the only problem is getting the money to buy them all :S ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

thanks :D now the only problem is getting the money to buy them all :S ha ha

thats what libraries are for :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You will love Philip Pullman's, His Dark Materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You will love Philip Pullman's, His Dark Materials.

I will second that also try Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (it’s not really written for teenagers but I dare you not to enjoy every last word of it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭leprechaun47

darren shan.. check him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

I highly recommend a series of books by Joan Lingard beginning with The Twelfth of July about Kevin and Sadie, a Catholic and Protestant written during the troubles.
    Years since I read them but great books, particularly Across the Barricades, the second book which can be read as a stand alone book. I think a lot of Irish people in their mid 20's to mid 30's will have fond memories of these books.

Advertisement