Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another political critic shot dead in Russia, coincidence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sink wrote: »
    It seems Russia is again in the business of assassinating critics. This time right over the border from Georgia. I wonder what this guy knew.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7590719.stm

I used to be sceptical and was willing to give Russia the benefit of the doubt but this just happens far too often, on the probability scale it's now more than likely to be coordinated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Politkovskaya_assassination
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_in_Russia

And there was an attempted assassination of the leader of a pro western political leader in Ukraine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Yushchenko

What do the rest of you think, unlucky coincidences or coordinated plot?

I think that it's very much co-ordinated and I think that there are lots of Roubles flying around. I also think that Russia has pretty much proven that it can do what it likes to the members of the old empire, with the US and others showing a reluctance to do anything about it. Having staked its claim on the oil under the North Pole, Russia must now be thinking of staking more claims in the south. They're completely without scruples and obviously couldn't give a fig about sanctions.

Criticism of America by a lot of people in Western Europe seems to be dwindling these days, so it looks like they're the good guys again, something that they haven't been since 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Shot whilst attempting to escape .... thats a nice "**** you" that lets anyone else who criticises Putin & Co know whats coming to them.
    Criticism of America by a lot of people in Western Europe seems to be dwindling these days, so it looks like they're the good guys again, something that they haven't been since 1945.

I think its more people in Western Europe are realising what a totalarian, dissent crushing, murderous dictatorial regime actually looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Exsqeeze me? Baking Powder?

I was on board until you said this. Where were you when NATO was fighting the spread of Communism? Oh yeah, the Pub. I exaggerate of course, but you know what I mean. Maybe saying since 2003 would be more appropriate.

No America isn't perfect and it has its critics. But who would you rather be the world leader here?

Overheal wrote: »
    Exsqeeze me? Baking Powder?

I was on board until you said this. Where were you when NATO was fighting the spread of Communism? Oh yeah, the Pub. I exaggerate of course, but you know what I mean. Maybe saying since 2003 would be more appropriate.

No America isn't perfect and it has its critics. But who would you rather be the world leader here?

I was fighting the red menace in the UK - no time for the pub. If I say anymore, I'll be extraordinarily renditioned. ;)

Perhaps 1945 was a bit too early, but how about 1953?

....You just want to ignore the entire Cold War era and the Space Race and the technology that eventually led to your Sky One obsession???

Not to mention keeping Ireland a happy Capitalist-ish state. You're welcome. Hmph!

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    ....You just want to ignore the entire Cold War era and the Space Race and the technology that eventually led to your Sky One obsession???

Not to mention keeping Ireland a happy Capitalist-ish state. You're welcome. Hmph!

I only moved here 18 years ago. Prior to that I was living quite close to a nuclear bomber base in the UK. A few miles further on was a USAF air-base. I don't think that anyone living under the shadow of "The Bomb" could ignore the cold war, least of all me.

Whenever I think of the space race, I can't help but think how clever those German scientists were. As for Sky One, I wouldn't thank anyone for that.

I just can't think of a situation where the US has been welcomed with flag-waving open arms since 1945. There were a few governments around the world who probably thanked the US for putting them in power, but in general, the ordinary people in those countries were less than happy with end result.
    The same people would have been equally "less than happy", had the Soviets installed a government instead. They didn't want to be pawns in someone else's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

What, don't like it?
    We are only reaping what the US and their British lackeys have been sowing for the last decade.
    Chiefly, running rough shod over international law, no respect for human rights and just plain bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

We are only reaping what the US and their British lackeys have been sowing for the last decade.
    ah so THATS why this is happening in Russia, it's all the US's fault! All makes sense now.

Why does everything always turn into an anti US/UK fanfare when it really (at this point at least) have NOTHING to do with them. Are people seriously contemplating that the US/UK are behind this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

RedPlanet wrote: »
    What, don't like it?
    Chiefly, running rough shod over international law, no respect for human rights and just plain bullying.
    Who's "we" in this case. I'm certainly not suffering from Russia's treatment of certain of its own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

RedPlanet wrote: »
    What, don't like it?
    I was wonderng how long it would take the far-left to hijack this thread (about Russian malignity) into yet another "America is teh evilzorz" rant.

14 hours, that must be a record. But please, it's getting a little lame.

• Advertisement

The Russians appear to be moving at break-neck speed now. They're sending some of their security people to Afghanistan to help train their Afghan counterparts. They're obviously on a non-stop world tour.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4648535.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Russians appear to be moving at break-neck speed now. They're sending some of their security people to Afghanistan to help train their Afghan counterparts. They're obviously on a non-stop world tour.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4648535.ece

At least America and Russia agree on one thing - Islam is the enemy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I think russia should invade canada and say they were looking for wmds, what you think?Could the media spin that one for us aswell?

I think russia should invade canada and say they were looking for wmds, what you think?Could the media spin that one for us aswell?

Why? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

serfboard wrote: »
    At least America and Russia agree on one thing - Islam is the enemy :rolleyes:

And China and India, in fact most of the world sees Islamic fundamentalism as a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

+1

Of course, because I have always turned a blind eye to the plight of the canadian people, subjugated under the evil dictator Stephen Harper as they die in the millions from clogged arteries (chronic sausage ingestion), the government still provides these hosers with free health care? The animosity! Mr. Harper: Tear-Down-This-Waffle House!

k im done now.

Advertisement