Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What decides MTU?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I can set MTU on my network card, my router and my modem. No doubt I can probably do it in my browser too.

Which one of these has the last decision as to which one is used?

i.e. if brower is a, modem is b, router is c and network card is d. Which MTU will I be using to connect to the web?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The router is the decider. You should set any settable options to be the same. 1500 is standard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mtu is sometimes decided by your ISP, alot of rouiters will auto-detect this setting off your Broadband connection, other routers will have a default setting which will work 99% of cases

In some rare cases ISP's need users to set a specific MTU

Incorrect MTU can cause issues like problems accessing banking sites at the likes

Im sure eircom uses 1492, dunno about the other ISPs, their re-sellers probably use 1492 aswell doh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That is to allow for the protocol overhead IIRC

Im sure eircom uses 1492, dunno about the other ISPs, their re-sellers probably use 1492 aswell doh

I'm just about certain the default for ethernet is 1500, I know some wireless operators use below 1500. It is decided by ISP but the OP, the router is the deciding factor on your end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

IBB DSL is 1460.

How is it that the router sets the MTU? I'm a little confused. Would the last link between me and the web (i.e. the modem) not determine it if set in that? Otherwise why does my network card not determine it over the router?

Random wrote: »
    IBB DSL is 1460.

How is it that the router sets the MTU? I'm a little confused. Would the last link between me and the web (i.e. the modem) not determine it if set in that? Otherwise why does my network card not determine it over the router?

It would, the last point to network. I just assumed router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

IBB DSL is 1460.

DSL needs the rest for overhead, i.e. PC will be 1460 and modem 1500MTU

Why do I need 40 for the overhead between the PC and the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Why do I need 40 for the overhead between the PC and the modem?
    you dont,its 1500 from the modem onto the ISP, but theres 0 point in setting it to 1500 on the PC because even if it was accepted by the modem it would have to split it into 2 ethernet packets to forward on. It would probably work at 1500 in a subnet

• Advertisement

You have me totally confused. I'd like to think I'm pretty good with networking things but apparently I'm not in this case.

I guess I'll have to do some serious googling later.

Thanks though.

Advertisement