Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Pregnancy

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for some info on recipies and mealplans for a pregnant vegetarian. Specifically some ideas about what meals will provide all the increased needs for different types of vitamins. I know a lot of veggie recipies still apply but some foods are out (goats cheese, brie etc) and some cause rotten heartburn.

Is there any online resource or book where you can, for example, pick a meal from a breakfast/lunch/dinner section that will give you all you require?

And yes, I have tried google and amazon :)

Found some stuff but nothing like the above.

Also any general tips that anybody might have about being a pregnant veggie would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy!

As a pregnant vegetarian (due this week), I can assure you that aside from taking a prenatal vitamin (which I started months prior to conception, and which should be taken whether you're an herbivore or not), and avoiding cheeses made from goat's milk, as well as unpasteurized juices, I've done nothing differently in my diet than I did before.

Vegetarians are no more prone to heartburn than omnivores. As you get further into your pregnancy, eat smaller meals more frequently, rather than 3 large ones, and avoid eating anything 3 hours before bedtime. If you do suffer from heartburn, try sitting up, or resting with your head elevated several inches above your belly - these have worked for me.

Continue on with the same meal plans as you always have; you and your developing baby will get all the necessary nutrients that you both need.

Best of luck to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

my wife also is vegitarian and we have 2 kids.

she changed nothing in her diet apart from eating alot more yogourt. both homemade and that of the fruit variety.

the volume she ate was also increased but as she later breastfed it made no difference.

I don't know if this information is for yourself Peared....so I'll hold off on the congratulations.

I know nothing about pregnancy, but if it were me I'd use an online food tracker. Like fitday or sparkpeople. To monitor my intake of nutrients.
    I assume that you can dietry requirements for pregnant women fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Moonbaby was right to hold off, I feel kinda guilty now :o

It's my sister who is pregnant and although I have never eaten meat my diet isn't great so I wouldn't be up on the most appropriate diet for pregnancy.

Thanks for the tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭peaches79

I didn't change my diet much either.
    However, after first 4 months I developed 24/7 craving for homemade wraps and chilli with homemade gaucomole and yoghurt.
    That was my main diet from then to the end!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement