Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercenaries 2

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Right so I was a huge fan of the original mercs, blowing things up is always fun, the graphics were shiny and nice at the time and plus, it had Peter Stormare and Phil LaMarr!

Mercs 2 came out today in America but it's not out here til the fifth. So far its got pretty good reviews from 1up and IGN. I'll be picking this up, what about youze?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Loved the first Mercs so gonna pick this up on friday along with Spore, then play the crap out of the before the 7th.

You getting it on PS3 or 360 because the online multiplay looks nice (decent co-op is so rare these days) and getting some sane people to play with other than randoms on Xbox Live would be nice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think i'll pick this up on Friday as well, as it looks like good fun. The next few weeks are going to busy with games though, with Spore, Warhammer, and several others. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Yeah i was a bit obssesed with the first as well! I preordered it from Zavvi a couple of weeks ago for my bros birthday, yes it wasn't an entirely selfless act. Got it for the 360, does anybody know if its preordered will be be shipped sooner than the 5th? At first i thought it was gonna be the 31st til i realised thats the American release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=228603

Thought the first was an over rated dumb shooter, seems this one is worse :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im deffinitely getting it from the reviews ive read its just an upgrade to the first one which i still play. Cant wait to throw down a tactical nuke on a single soldier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Loved the first Mercs so gonna pick this up on friday along with Spore, then play the crap out of the before the 7th.

You getting it on PS3 or 360 because the online multiplay looks nice (decent co-op is so rare these days) and getting some sane people to play with other than randoms on Xbox Live would be nice.

360, but unfortunately I don't have live, need a wireless adapter but they're so expensive.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=228603

Thought the first was an over rated dumb shooter, seems this one is worse :/

Never, ever, ever trust Eurogamer for anything, they do this to be different. It's got 77 on metacritic and good reviews from many places:
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/mercenaries2worldinflames?q=mercenaries%202

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I really do hope EG are wrong, but other sites seem to thing its good, I've been watching the live stream and it looks fun :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im getting this its a step back from serious gaming :)

Its going to be alot of FUN. Going to play it co-op with a friend.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

yoyo wrote: »
    I really do hope EG are wrong, but other sites seem to thing its good, I've been watching the live stream and it looks fun :)

Nick

What live stream is that? Been thinking about picking this up, just looks like a fun game all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I hope this one is more difficult and has much more detailed environment, I thought the first one was 'Alright', Lets hope IGN are right about their reviews.

Hold on a sec, That guy you play as looks like techno viking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Bring on the demolition baby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Never, ever, ever trust Eurogamer for anything, they do this to be different. It's got 77 on metacritic and good reviews from many places:
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/mercenaries2worldinflames?q=mercenaries%202
    Both Mercs 1 & 2 were reviewed by the same person, he loved Mercs 1 and gave it an 8/10. Their reviews are normally good and I've agreed with most of them in the past.

Also they use a different scoring scale to most other sites. 7 would be considered average on most review sites while on Eurogamer: "A seven in Eurogamer speak is something we greatly recommend you have a good look at before you buy".

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I hope this one is more difficult and has much more detailed environment, I thought the first one was 'Alright', Lets hope IGN are right about their reviews.

Hold on a sec, That guy you play as looks like techno viking!

Rofl, man hes of his tits...looks exatcly like him too hahah

http://www.justin.tv/digitalempire

This guy was doing it, he's not broadcasting atm though

Nick

Ok so picked this up today on 360, dispite seeing the review on Eurogamer.

And all I have to say is.....I F*****G LOVE IT!!!!

It looks amazing, all the buildings (apart from 1 or 2 mission critical) can be blown up, the bushes you cant run through are mini-trees the same height as you (good luck trying that in real life) and the health system he described is nothing like he stated. Even withMattias (the viking dude) who has enhanced heal speed, it would take me about a minute to go from 10 to 100 health.

Bottom line, if you liked Mercs 1, buy it!!

Now to head online and see if I can get into some co-op insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Gonna try it on the Pc tonight and see what its like, I've been waiting for weeks to play it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I got the 360 version. I cant get in to the co-op quick match or custom matches online? WTF is that about? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wtf? Its out already? Ah crap, gotta pick this up over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

shame the pc version is just a messy, rushed and buggy port!
    the ai is virtually non existent, i can quite often stand right infront of the enemy and they wont shoot me. the controls are hit and miss, kind of figure it out for yourself. Graphics are very average, with lots of bland flat textures.
    overall its not nearly as good as the mercs1, i played so much of on the ps2. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

played a couple of missions this morning on the 360 had fun no question about that,
    but the bugs can be pretty silly.

• Advertisement

It would seem that mercs 2 when playing online is region locked. I tried playing with several americans yesterday on live but wasnt able to due to being in a different region apparently? WTF pandemic?

VinLieger wrote: »
    It would seem that mercs 2 when playing online is region locked. I tried playing with several americans yesterday on live but wasnt able to due to being in a different region apparently? WTF pandemic?

Yeah there are quite a few region locks, look in the back of the manual. There are 3 PAL versions "english, spanish, russian", "german, french, italian" and "english, german". The first 2 work fine together but the 3rd can't be used with either. NTSC play is also not supported.

Seems odd for a new release with online play. Hopefully we get a patch or something. Anyone can add me (danteire) on Xbox Live if wanna try get a game in sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Got it yesterday and I'm having a blast with it. I don't know if anyone else has had any bugs but mine's been completely bug free. Odd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There seems to be no 1280x1024 support for no obvious reason. It also show signs of being a port by telling you stupid things like "saving game, please do not turn off your PC", tempting as it is to randomly power off my machine.

Spear wrote: »
    There seems to be no 1280x1024 support for no obvious reason. It also show signs of being a port by telling you stupid things like "saving game, please do not turn off your PC", tempting as it is to randomly power off my machine.

No 1680x1050 support either... Two options are Fullscreen or widescreen, widescreen only being 16:9 resolutions, am playing it at 1280x720 res and even at that framerate doesn't seem great, its over 30fps mostly, but just seems laggy for a pc game... And the graphics are poor so I see no reason for that bar crappy port

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Spear wrote: »
    "saving game, please do not turn off your PC"
    Haha, that's great! Ctrl F "console" and replace with "PC" :D

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah there are quite a few region locks, look in the back of the manual. There are 3 PAL versions "english, spanish, russian", "german, french, italian" and "english, german". The first 2 work fine together but the 3rd can't be used with either. NTSC play is also not supported.

Seems odd for a new release with online play. Hopefully we get a patch or something. Anyone can add me (danteire) on Xbox Live if wanna try get a game in sometime.

Think i know what it is. Army of two had a similar problem and nothing was ever done about it the reason they are both done by EA who provide the servers for people to interact with on live. So of course they went with the cheap option unlike every other game made these days and region locked it.

Edit : add me as well if your looking for a game gamertag = Nallers

just added danteire and nallers to mee friends. im loving mercs 2, i like the way the kept some of the old features intact like capturing prisoners and putting em on helicopters n sh*t

Haha, that's great! Ctrl F "console" and replace with "PC" :D

Haha so true :D

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Damn, was just considering picking it up for the pc but no proper widescreen support is a little offputting...
    What are the controls like on the pc version? Is it more suited to keyboard/mouse or a controller

Advertisement