Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercenaries 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tman wrote: »
    Damn, was just considering picking it up for the pc but no proper widescreen support is a little offputting...
    What are the controls like on the pc version? Is it more suited to keyboard/mouse or a controller
    Controls feel very consoley using m&k, tbh this is a pritty poor port, its a fun game but you'd know little or no effort went into porting it to pc, it does support the 360 pad though if that would be prefared, and the only widescreen resolutions available to me are 1280x720 and 1600x900 or something like that (My native res is 1680x1050)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Right i see to have hit a bump..The last "Story Line" mission i did was where you
    Save the UP Guy and then protect him as he burns the documents or whatever
    ..Anyway just wondering do i have to keep donig the side missions to expand the map and continue the story line??

**EDIT** Never mind worked it out:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Go the aussie PMC girl and see does she have anything for you or you can continue capturing outposts for the gangs.

Just Finished her there..Was enjoyable overall few little things they coulda sorted out though...like next time your in the mansion have a look at the way he runs...Invisible gun or something??:p...Kinda disapointing ending though to..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yeah, I finished it aswell, bit short alright. Fun to run around with loads of Bunker Buster Nukes for a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was adviced not to buy it by a mate that got it. Should I buy or wait for mate to finish his?

I was adviced not to buy it by a mate that got it. Should I buy or wait for mate to finish his?

Wait for your mate to finish it. Not worth splashing out €60 IMO.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Wait for your mate to finish it. Not worth splashing out €60 IMO.

He isn't overly impressed with it, considering he was a big fan of Merc 1, i am surprised. What would you give it out of 10 and why?

Rent it for a tenner from xtra vision..What i did...You;d have it finished by then....

Gameplay: 9
    Graphics: 8
    Sound: 8
    Value: 8

Positives:More to it than the story line...Loads and loads of side missions so you wont be stuck for stuff to do...destructive environments-Everything basically can be blown up

Negatives:AI isnt great,lot of glitches,Co-op could be better,shooting system is average enough too

+1 thats what i did aswell.

TBH It feels like a game thats in its Beta later stages. Thats how glitchy and unfinished it is. Best beta ive ever played though :pac:

• Advertisement

Cheers, Thats a pity was looking forward to it. Haven't played the PS3 in a while, not into any game just now. Any good games out there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    +1 thats what i did aswell.

TBH It feels like a game thats in its Beta later stages. Thats how glitchy and unfinished it is. Best beta ive ever played though :pac:

Yea 3 or 4 months down the road and this could be a real cracker :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's alright. Not enough of a step-up from the original, or from Just Cause (which it reminds me of) to be worth €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

30e on the xbox 360 in game on dawson st today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Thought the first one was ok , got quite repetitive after a while.

Is the second one the same ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

hoppo254 wrote: »
    Thought the first one was ok , got quite repetitive after a while.

Is the second one the same ?

Pretty much! I don't mind though, I'm having a lot of fun playing through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Had a look at this, there's no blurb on the box, what's a casual shopper supposed to make of it, I certainly had no idea what it was and I'm not gonna spend 50 notes if I don't know what it's about, pretty daft if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Gametrailers have a video review up:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39789.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MooseJam wrote: »
    Had a look at this, there's no blurb on the box, what's a casual shopper supposed to make of it, I certainly had no idea what it was and I'm not gonna spend 50 notes if I don't know what it's about, pretty daft if you ask me

It's a game about mercenaries, one of whom looks like techno viking. They go around Venezuela blowing shít up...
    Don't think words were really necessary for this one tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its a good game but like others have said its kinda like the beta version. Ive seen numerous bugs and im not just talking scenery ones. I found one where every time i boot up my save and go to one of the islands i automatically get a spare part for no reason. Its not game breaking but its kinda ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Dear God, the PC version is atrocious. Flashes symbols at you for QTEs and you're supposed to be divinely inspired to guess what they are. Ended up switching to google every 5 minutes to find out what key to press. And god help you if it's your first FPS, the intro section showing you what keys to use just has crappy symbols too, you end up constantly going into the key mapping to find out what they mean.

Graphics dire. AI worse - it's hilarious how they keep shooting/blowing up each other if one gets in the line of fire. And NPCs constantly shout the same few lines over again - "She's over there! Behind that cover!". Even if they're friendly - "There she is! Shoot her! She's with us!", then "The enemy is here! Kill her!".

Only played it for an hour so far (not counting time spent going into options menu to work out key mapping, or googling for same) and apparently I'm about 20% through it.

You can save any time you want, but it's largely irrelevant, since if you get killed it still brings you back to the last checkpoint.

Vehicle handling is dismal. Camera is pretty poor. Mouse is jerky and slow to respond, even on max sensitivity.

PC gamer somehow gave it 72%, although did describe it as not well designed, well made or well ported, and as best played with a gamepad.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant 7.2%. Avoid the PC version like the plague. And if you have to get one, get the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

sorry for the thread necromancing (well it's not that old) but I'm finally getting around to this game after giving it a wide birth after the bitter taste that GTA IV left in my mouth in regards to sandbox games.

I actually really like it. I'm playing it on the PC (with the latest patch that fixed a lot of the release bugs) with a 360 controller (after finding the horrible control problems that MOH described with using a kb/m) For the QTE it now prompts for 360 buttons so it's not that bad.

Overall though the game is quite enjoyable. I've actually found I've been doing all of the side missions, as they either unlock vehicles and weapons I want or are actually very fun to do (I found the pirate transport ones very good)

The sheer variety of weapons, vehicles and airstrikes is staggering. I'm a good 80% through it and I wouldn't say I've even scratched the surface of the weapons I have.

If you where sitting on the fence about this game I'd recommend getting it now as it will probably be dirt cheap. There is at least a good 15 to 20 hours of gameplay in it if you bother doing the side missions (a must imo if you want to unlock the really good vehicles and airstrikes).

I feel they also got the helicopters just right. I'm glad they have given a wide variety of them and not just mixed in some planes which are pretty useless in most sandbox games for anything other than transport.

My only gripes are:

1. Not being able to choose where you respawn after dying (you should be able choose any of your allies camps to medivac to)
    2. No armour upgrades (it would be nice to be able to buy bullet proof vests or something)
    3. Not being able to bundle airdrops (sometimes I want C4 and a MG to be dropped in, I should be able to bundle them into one drop instead of having to do 2 separate drops)
    4. Some odd glitches (there's one really irritating one, where I'll order a helicopter to be delivered and it will disappear just as its landing, removing one from my stockpile also)

Advertisement