Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nokia car kit rip out

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can the the car kit removed from my car this week and refitted to a new one next ?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

where u based and is it wired in through the radion etc if its just stanard and wired to the ignition ill do it for u im based in portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi, thanks for the offer but I am based in Dublin.

Sorry I should have mentioned that in the original post.

I am not too worried by the electrics, but any idea how hard the trim and stereo etc is to remove ?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the offer but I am based in Dublin.

Sorry I should have mentioned that in the original post.

I am not too worried by the electrics, but any idea how hard the trim and stereo etc is to remove ?

Thanks again.
    Trim and stereo.. . . what make model of car is it rob?

its a 320 ci BMW

thanks
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's pretty easy on the E46 to remove the trim and radio, if you are handy at all you should be able to do it with oth scratching the trim.

The trim above the glove box pops out with a flat head screwdriver, prise the left hand side and ease it out (wrap the head with insulating tape to protect from scratches)

Next pop the trim off the radio surround same way.

4 torx/maybe philips screws - remove

Pull out radio, power and mute for HF kit tapped off radio power usually - yellow is mute (snip cables leaving a bit of the original colour so you know which is + - and Mute for new kit.

remove glove box about 6 philips screws HF kits are 99% of time put here as there is a parcel shelf for them behind Glovebox. Remove kit, probably be able to reuse the mic and speaker with the new one if you want to save a bit of hassle, if connectors are different you can snip and rewire new connectors onto old mic and speaker cables but a lot of them are 3.5mm headphone jacks.

• Advertisement

thanks guys,

I am looking to remove it to move to my new car, so I wont be using any new kit.

Just one thing, the mic is placed above the rear view mirror beside the reading lights, I presume the wiring goes up around the screen ?

Also how do I remove the panel from around the gear selector.

yeah they have been known to go up around the passenge side of the windscreen, easier access in some cases so watch out for that.

The gear gator just prises up quite easily. Put a flat head screwdriver in the front area (wrap head in cloth or sellotape to avoid damage to trim. ) The area just above your hazard lights.The whole gator housing pops up displaying 4 screw points belowto remove the rest.

Also i have found that i can just pull my gator surround up without the screw driver by giving the front leather a tug and it pops out.

thanks guys,

I am looking to remove it to move to my new car, so I wont be using any new kit.

Just one thing, the mic is placed above the rear view mirror beside the reading lights, I presume the wiring goes up around the screen ?

Also how do I remove the panel from around the gear selector.

Gearstick trim removal is a cinch too - with a flat screw driver prise between leather trim and window switches plastic surround along one of the sides of the gear trim in the centre where it is flexible and pop is out, here you will see another 4 or 6 philips screw heads exposed take these out and the rest of the surround will come out easily enough.

the mic wire usually runs around the window frame and is just pushed into the gap between ceiling trim/airbag trim and the maybe the rubber door trim, which can be removed by finger and replaced easily, if you have the glovebox off you can start at the connector end and follow it from there up to the mic.

Just noticed listermints response - I'm a slow typer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you're looking to get it done for you, there's a rake of people who'll do it. ICE in Ranelagh are good, we use Fitzwilliam Audio (I can PM his details if you want).

OT: What did you buy Rob, did you get the X3 in the end?

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you're looking to get it done for you, there's a rake of people who'll do it. ICE in Ranelagh are good, we use Fitzwilliam Audio (I can PM his details if you want).

OT: What did you buy Rob, did you get the X3 in the end?

please do Chris - as I will need someone to put it into the new car anyway.

I bought a 320d m-sport instead - a much nicer car to drive, will be much cheaper to run and shoudln't be a disaster to try sell on.

Good choice . X3 :eek:

thanks guys,

the help was excellent.

I decided to have a go at it myself in the end.
    Went well except the mic is still in.

I cannot figure out how to get the damn thing out as the wire goes right up along the side of the widscreen and I have no clue where to start

might be easier buy a new mike of ebay ?

thanks guys,

the help was excellent.

I decided to have a go at it myself in the end.
    Went well except the mic is still in.

I cannot figure out how to get the damn thing out as the wire goes right up along the side of the widscreen and I have no clue where to start

might be easier buy a new mike of ebay ?

Is the mic detachable from it's velcroed position? If so it's more than likely just finger pushed into the small gap between the roof trim and the window, then the same along the airbag pillar and possibly the installer took the passenger window seal out and ran it behind the rubber which you can just pull out by hand, if you have managed the rest of the kit I don't think you'll have too much difficulty starting at the mic and working backwards.

Was the main unit behind the glovebox?

Victor_M wrote: »
    Is the mic detachable from it's velcroed position?

I have peeled off the velcro if thats what you mean, and opened the panel holding the lights in
    Even though I have the car sold - I would hate to damage it for €5 worth of mic.
    Victor_M wrote: »
    Was the main unit behind the glovebox?

yes - everything was as you described thanks a million.

Is it going to be as easy to fit it to an E90 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you don't smoke, this might work for you. I removed the unused ashtray from just behind/beside the handbrake and had my Nokia kit mounted there. The screws went in underneath the ashtray and when I sold it on I removed the kit and replaced the ashtray. Not a mark or screw-hole to be seen.

I have peeled off the velcro if thats what you mean, and opened the panel holding the lights in
    Even though I have the car sold - I would hate to damage it for €5 worth of mic.

yes - everything was as you described thanks a million.

Is it going to be as easy to fit it to an E90 ?

The light cluster in the roof lining pops out too with a little flat heat persuasion, very easy and you can poke it through to the windshield at the rear view mirror and pull it out that way, that the same way I ran my mic.

No experience with the E90 i'm afraid.

Thanks a mill lads

Got the whole lot out last night.

I really appreciate it.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

If anyone had the contact details for someone in Dublin who can do this (I'm not as brave as Rob - I'd wreck the bloody car if I went near it with a screwdriver :o ).

Just bought a minter of a car and I'll happily pay to have the horrible old nokia kit removed from it, it's really getting on my nerves looking at the thing.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks a mill lads

Got the whole lot out last night.

I really appreciate it.

Rob

Is your E90 still under manufacturers warranty? I remember someone posting on here when they (E90's) came out first that the warranty is void if you alter the electrical system in any way, including adding a non BMW car kit. Just bear that is mind, if it's out of warranty it makes no difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement