Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Beggars

Options
  • 31-08-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just back from my evening stroll around the city.
    I've noticed on the past two evenings when I was out walking that there seems to be a lot more beggars about.
    I reckon there is at least one beggar to every block in the City centre.
    I wonder does this reflect increase in homelessness, alcoholism, drug addiction or/and poverty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

while on topic, spotted the roma gypsy guy who begs on the side lane of harveys quay coming out of superquinn with his daughter this evening. the one always in traditional clothing around the ATMs. dressed in jeans and boob tube, texting on her phone. day off obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

Homelessness breaks my heart and there's no need for it in this sicknigly capitalist country. It makes my blood boil.

Most beggars in Limerick arent homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »
    Most beggars in Limerick arent homeless.

Exactly, not saying they are loaded and driving mercs, but most aren't homeless.

Would never give anything to most of them, it's either for drink (why support an alcoholic's drinking?) drugs (the guys outside Empire), or some form of "livelihood" (the various gypsies around, Post office, Harvey's quay etc). You aren't helping anyone by such donations, if you want to give money, give it to a recognised charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I remember once I gave one of them a orange as I will never give money to beggars and the person chucked it in the bin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

This begging stuff really gets to me, especially the agressive type of begging that's done these days, such as sitting under an ATM. I will never ever give somebody like that any of my money. A lot of these "new" beggars are heroine addicts also, and there's no way that I'll support such a habit, or the people who import these evil drugs into our country by giving some cash to these beggars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

I was standing outside a pub in town last night when I was approached by a "homeless beggar". He asked me to help the homeless by giving him money for food. When I refused (mainly because I know this scumbag and he's not homeless, just too lazy to work) he shouts over to his mate "look at this f***ing b****x, mouldy drunk(I wasn't) outside a pub and the c*** won't give me a few Euro!"
    It was like I owed him money because he decided he was too good to get off his hole and work like the rest of us.
    What's worse is they're using the same intimidation tactics on tourists further tarnishing Limericks name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

while on topic, spotted the roma gypsy guy who begs on the side lane of harveys quay coming out of superquinn with his daughter this evening. the one always in traditional clothing around the ATMs. dressed in jeans and boob tube, texting on her phone. day off obviously.
    God that pisses me off beyond belief.

rstans wrote: »
    I was standing outside a pub in town last night when I was approached by a "homeless beggar". He asked me to help the homeless by giving him money for food. When I refused (mainly because I know this scumbag and he's not homeless, just too lazy to work) he shouts over to his mate "look at this f***ing b****x, mouldy drunk(I wasn't) outside a pub and the c*** won't give me a few Euro!"
    It was like I owed him money because he decided he was too good to get off his hole and work like the rest of us.
    What's worse is they're using the same intimidation tactics on tourists further tarnishing Limericks name.

What's worse is the very worst of them are Limerick born and bred, we can't even blame outsiders like the Roma, Clare or Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Going slightly off topic myself here.
    Why do people give to beggars. The above posters don't. I was sitting in outside a coffee shop last week when a very persistent beggar came round. The first group of well healed people all got out there wallets and purses and gave soem coins. The pople on all the other tables gave nothing.
    My only explanantion is ;
    1. that they didn't want to seem mean in front of their friends
    2. Feel good factor that comes with helping others
    3. A genuine naive belief that they are actually helping these people.

Incidentally the hard working staff have to regularly run these people as they disturb customers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If nobody gave these people money they would stop begging.

There are many ways to makre the world a better place. Encouraging beging isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Between Beggers and Chuggers, Limerick is becoming a very annoying place to walk around.

Especially those too happy for their own good f**king chuggers.

It's annoying that people constantly try to play mind games with you when you're walking down a street while I'm on lunch break after putting in a tough morning in work.

You wonder sometimes who the real 'poor' are, them, or us poor f**kers that are suckered into working.

Yeah I know this is a rant, but it's a Monday! :D

Your comments are well rich. None of you know their backgrounds and aren't you all sooo priviliged to sit their and throw out nasty assessments about people you don't even know. How christian. I hope it stays well for you all. I'm genuinely shocked by your comments.

Your comments are well rich. None of you know their backgrounds and aren't you all sooo priviliged to sit their and throw out nasty assessments about people you don't even know. How christian. I hope it stays well for you all. I'm genuinely shocked by your comments.
    :rolleyes: most of us have been in limerick all our lives and DO know the back stories of most of these characters. Also, contact city council to get homeless figures. in fact, contact homeless agencies in Limerick. no1 is sleeping rough. most beggars on the streets have concil housing and are begging to support a drug/drink habit. The gypsies have cars, mobile phones, houses etc etc, and are regularily implicated in ATM crimes, hustles, and plain old theft. If you dont know the back story, dont presume everyone else doesnt. most of us have taken the time to get informed. also, please dont cast presumptions on our religions of choice.

:rolleyes: most of us have been in limerick all our lives and DO know the back stories of most of these characters. Also, contact city council to get homeless figures. in fact, contact homeless agencies in Limerick. no1 is sleeping rough. most beggars on the streets have concil housing and are begging to support a drug/drink habit. The gypsies have cars, mobile phones, houses etc etc, and are regularily implicated in ATM crimes, hustles, and plain old theft. If you dont know the back story, dont presume everyone else doesnt. most of us have taken the time to get informed. also, please dont cast presumptions on our religions of choice.

:mad: I'm from Limerick myself and your generalisms and claim of intimate knowledge with the people you criticise is irritating. Or if you do know them and are still prepared to assassinate them online then shame on you. Btw, ever been an alcoholic or a heroin addict? Doubt it, then reserve your judgement until one day you walk in their shoes before you so arrogantly comment on how they should live their lives. Perhaps you should focus on your own more :p As for 'our religions of choice' - speak for yourself. If you are a christian you'd want to polish your skills.

Read the thread. these people have homes, welfare money, and spend it on drugs. giving them money isnt going to help them, its going to force them further into the addiction, as they can afford to buy more. As for sickenignly capitalist culture, I note u work In HR, a job specifically designed to assist capitalism in its purest form. I donate to plenty of charity both in money and in time, but im not so ignorant to the facts that i think giving beggars on the street money is going to help them in any way. it is much better to support the associations set up to try help get these "victims of capitalism" out of their downward spiral of self abuse, than to fund their addictions for them.

:mad: I'm from Limerick myself and your generalisms and claim of intimate knowledge with the people you criticise is irritating. Or if you do know them and are still prepared to assassinate them online then shame on you. Btw, ever been an alcoholic or a heroin addict? Doubt it, then reserve your judgement until one day you walk in their shoes before you so arrogantly comment on how they should live their lives. Perhaps you should focus on your own more :p As for 'our religions of choice' - speak for yourself. If you are a christian you'd want to polish your skills.

Listen, trust me on this, giving money to an alcoholic is not going to cure him. If you want to help him, there are several dedicated charities around to support.

I'm as sad as anyone they're in the situation they are in, but giving them money to fuel the destructive drug that put them there is not going to help them.

Listen, trust me on this, giving money to an alcoholic is not going to cure him. If you want to help him, there are several dedicated charities around to support.

I'm as sad as anyone they're in the situation they are in, but giving them money to fuel the destructive drug that put them there is not going to help them.

Do you smoke? If so, do you ever give one to your friends when they ask? :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I often give money to people I know are going to buy drink or drugs with it and to be honest all that that will do is relieve whatever addictive state they are in for a short while. If that alleviates their feelings of despair and whatever other horrible state one must be in if they are on drugs momentarily then I'm ok with that.

I'm gonna take a risk here and suggest that what you are saying is rubbish. If, as a "good Christian", you believe that alleviating a sufferer's pain is the right thing to do, would you also believe in the use of euthenasia to give chronic/terminal sufferers a chance at peace? That would certainly follow your logic.
    As for your comment on my career, your ignorance is becoming insurmoutable at this stage. 99% of jobs are filled by HR professionals - even those for charity organisations. No doubt you went through HR yourself to get your own - part of the capitalist wheel too! Have a little intelligence. And I btw, recruit for leading international Research Centres that have a massive impact on health for the world. Yes this research involves millions from big corporations but most of it is acutally Government funded. But the overall intention is honourable. What's your suggestion? That I leave my capitalist supported job to become homeless in line with my puritanist beliefs and beg you for money which you won't give me for my own benefit? hmmm :confused:Is there a logic here that I'm just not getting?

You're new here, but you should still know from the charter that personalised comments like that aren't exactly liked on Boards.
    And I donate to charities too - not that this is a competition on Christian virtues. But while these amazing charities do try to help I don't mind buying someone a few cans on a Friday night - after all I'll be having a few myself :P ...Do you smoke? If so, do you ever give one to your friends when they ask? :P

I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to confirm these sentiments again, because I don't believe I just read what I think you're suggesting. Tell me, do you really believe that feeding a dangerous habit, one that not only affects the afflicted party but also their family, friends and neighbours, is a good and honourable thing to do? Buying drink for an alcoholic may seem like a nice idea at the time. However, have you thought at all about how it contributes to the worsening of an already tragic condition?

You're new here, but you should still know from the charter that personalised comments like that aren't exactly liked on Boards.

Re your point above ok I'm sowwry :(

As for the rest of your comments, I am entitled to interact with these people as I see fit.

When I walk down the street on a Friday night and see somebody who is a homeless drunk and begging, I did, do and always will feel it's ok to give them a few quid for smokes and/or a few cans. Now if you think that's irresponsible that's your opinion but I do not. I'm temporarily alleviating some kind of want they have, which does little either way on their life situation. End of.... :D

unfortunately, by allieviating their "suffering" for that short time, you are encouraging them to keep up the alcoholism and/or drugs, and they willl stay begging on the streets, instead of getting themselves sorted. this in turn means not working. they'll sell everything they have to get more drink/drugs. this eventually leads to homelessness. the very thing that sickens you. I cant believe you cant see how this is fact. You can't decide that homelessness is wrong, then cause the problem to worsen yourself, its a ridiculously hypocritical stance to take.

• Advertisement

Don't smoke, don't even want to.

unfortunately, by allieviating their "suffering" for that short time, you are encouraging them to keep up the alcoholism and/or drugs, and they willl stay begging on the streets, instead of getting themselves sorted. this in turn means not working. they'll sell everything they have to get more drink/drugs. this eventually leads to homelessness. the very thing that sickens you. I cant believe you cant see how this is fact. You can't decide that homelessness is wrong, then cause the problem to worsen yourself, its a ridiculously hypocritical stance to take.

Oh man, talk about taking things to extremes. Ever think that maybe they use the money I give them for a long awaited deposit to move into a flat? Nobody knows what they really do with the money I give them. They may have kids that they give it to, they may use it to stay in a hostel, they may even use it to get their hair cut or buy some warm clothes. It's mad to think that you all think your making the world a better place by not being generous to homeless people :confused:

Everyone on this thread is picking lines from my posts and blowing them up to suit their own arguments instead of leaving them in the context they were meant.

My attitude is that if a friend of mine smokes and asks me for one, sure I know I'm not exactly helping him/her achieve optimum health but that doesn't make me a murderer. Likewise if I give a homeless person some money and they use it to buy a few cans that evening it doesn't make me responsible for homelessness in the world. Who knows, the next day Focus Ireland or some other charity may get them a gaff.

Overall, I'm not big into giving money to drunks and drug users moreso into people that look like they may use it to feed themselves or buy a few smokes but once again I'll say that if I see my few euros can help some poor soul get a bit of comfort then I'm ok with that. It's a free country so if that's what I choose to do with my hard earned cash then that's what I'll do with it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't mind the homeless.
    They're grand.

I can't stand the junkies though.
    They're abusive rough and dangerous.
    Homeless ask you for change and if you say no, they dont care.

The junkies would put a knife to you.

Oh man, talk about taking things to extremes. Ever think that maybe they use the money I give them for a long awaited deposit to move into a flat? Nobody knows what they really do with the money I give them. They may have kids that they give it to, they may use it to stay in a hostel, they may even use it to get their hair cut or buy some warm clothes. It's mad to think that you all think your making the world a better place by not being generous to homeless people :confused:
    1)this is ridiculously naive if you actually believe so. I'm beginning to think you're fighting the debate, not considering the points.
    2)So they're begging for money to give it away :rolleyes:
    3)Hostels for those who need them are free in Limerick.

Being generous to beggars (note I didnt say homeless) is not helping them, its making their plight worse. Give the money to a charity that helps them get off the street instead, these people are professionals and trained to help in the best way possible.

I don't mind the homeless.
    They're grand.

I can't stand the junkies though.
    They're abusive rough and dangerous.
    Homeless ask you for change and if you say no, they dont care.

The junkies would put a knife to you.

I'd agree with you on that. It's usually the people that just look like they want to die that pull my heart strings. It could be me next year. You never know what life has for you around the corner. That's why I'm not judgemental on anyone homeless persons situation. It must be just the worst thing in the world. I can't imagine coping if I didn't have a bed to call my own :(

Everyone on this thread is picking lines from my posts and blowing them up to suit their own arguments instead of leaving them in the context they were meant.
    those are not out of context, those are full quotes.

as for your giving a friend a cigarette argument, you cannot compare the two. suppose your friend was an alcoholic trying to recover. would you then buy them a drink??

1)this is ridiculously naive if you actually believe so. I'm beginning to think you're fighting the debate, not considering the points.
    2)So they're begging for money to give it away :rolleyes:
    3)Hostels for those who need them are free in Limerick.

Being generous to beggars (note I didnt say homeless) is not helping them, its making their plight worse. Give the money to a charity that helps them get off the street instead, these people are professionals and trained to help in the best way possible.

Fighting the debate not considering the points! I'm thinking with my heart and always will. The points - what's the main point here :confused:? It's about helping unfotunate beggars (that may or may not be homeless). That's the point. But you're intent on blowing up mini points everywhere cause you know my overall sentiment is honourable and you can't defeat that.

As for what they do with the money as you 'point' out in 'number 2' above - you don't know what they do with the money I give them. Do you? Therefore, you cannot have a conculsive argument on that. And I'm not naive I'm simply kind and generous. I'm not able to stop homelessness in the world but I still have the right to help another human being by giving them a few quid.

Give the money to charity! As I said I already I do but if I still want to give a bit more to allevite some poor unforutnates wants then I will.

As for hostels being free - some are in Dublin - but I've spoken with certain homeless people who perfer if they can afford it to to rent in normal hostels to be with 'normal' people instead of wet hostels for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

noticed the increased amount of beggars on OConnelkl St while in town last Saturday lunchtime, seemed to be a lot of them in their teens, 3 of them together hanging around near ChickenHut, almost looks like a gang came into Limerick for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

don't feed the trolls. and don't feed the junkies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement