Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Beggars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Would never give anything to most of them, it's either for drink (why support an alcoholic's drinking?) drugs (the guys outside Empire), or some form of "livelihood" (the various gypsies around, Post office, Harvey's quay etc). You aren't helping anyone by such donations, if you want to give money, give it to a recognised charity.

Make a good note of this, this is a big moment in the history of boards.ie: talkingclock agrees with Amazo! Probably the first time ever here!

:D:D
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I was using the BOI ATM at the top of O Connell St on Saturday last, 2 elderly american men before me in the queue. They finish and go to leave and heres this lad in a track suit, can of Carling in one hand and the other hand out.

They walk on only to have track suit lad scream "stingy fu**cking c**ts" after them. I'd say they went home with a nice impression of Limerick.

Another drunk track suited lad asks me (very agressively) to buy him his dinner as I'm leaving Donkey Ford's one night last week.

On the other hand, as mentioned by another poster above, the lad outside Empire/Abra is very polite and non-threatening, I'd throw him whatever change I'd have leaving Abra. After biding me have a good evening the last time, he then reminded me that my shoe lace was open and to be careful not to fall..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

First of all, they are not 'beggars', they are scroungers, plain and simple. None of them are homeless, they could all get a job and have a half decent livelyhood if they wanted to, but they choose to live like that. Nearly all of those hustlers around O'Connell St/Thomas St area come into the off licence i used to work in, they just waste other people's hard earned money on booze, cigarettes or drugs (I've been handed a good few white powdery notes in my time there). To anyone who actually thinks they are helping these scumbags (and thats all they are) you are very misguided, you are simply wasting your money. Always say no to these scroungers, they are a total embarassment to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

I heard some of those bums are making 1oo+ a day.7 days +dole money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mac 3 wrote: »
    They walk on only to have track suit lad scream "stingy fu**cking c**ts" after them. I'd say they went home with a nice impression of Limerick.

Doubt it.
    They probably have their own version where they're from.

I remember being in London during the summer.
    We were coming out of Euston and some homeless woman was going mad and throwing her shoes, we looked and her and she looked and says "**** off!".
    I wasn't offended at all, or given a bad impression of London.
    All I thought to myself was that she was Euston's equivalent of (insert name of infamous limerick female wino here).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I've noticed that its getting pretty bad lately alright. For the past few weekends I have been approached outside Brown Thomas buy some guy looking for change. This was on a sat. night around 9ish. Then yesterday two guys stopped me outside Burger King looking for a few cent for the bus.

I gave them nothing because I don't want to encourage it nor do I feel safe opening my wallet in front of a complete stranger looking for my money.

Then there is those chuggers that are everywhere. They should be banned. Walking around town is getting seriously annoying. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

A guy I was in school with ended up on the streets for a while. Was good at school, decent family etc. drugs etc screwed it up. I remember coming back from living abroad, and seeing him, was a bit of a shock, last I heard he's back on the mend (I hope)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

While not Limerick I was visiting Cork one weekday and on the bus journey down the
    radio was on and one of the members of staff from one of the stations pretended to be
    a begger for the day and went begging on one of the main bridges. He made 400 Euros
    in 1 day.

I remember feeling shocked that it would be that much!!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I thought sometimes going to Cork or Galway for a day to sit their begging. Just for the craic and see how much I'll get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

I recently moved down to Limerick from Dublin and the difference in the amount of 'unfortunates' is huge. Anyway, my reason for posting is this. One of my mates has this habit of befriending random people that you'd normally refrain from engaging. More often than not, he starts conversing with scumbags but he enjoys a good chat with homeless people/beggars. There were these two local beggars that were ALWAYS outside the Spar on Baggot St., just opposite the Waterloo. One of 'em was a real nasty piece of work. Constantly harassing people going in and out of the shop, throwing half full cups of coffee at passers by; just an @sshole basically. The other guy was bang on, seemed alot more with it, looked alot better, seemed like he was in "a better place" than his less than friendly neighbour. Now, the first guy, the wanker. My mate that worked in that Spar said the guy would arrive in normal clothes with his iPod blaring, texting away... he'd then go into the pub, change, and come out looking a great deal worse, obviously the intended effect. He'd lie there for the entire day, drinking, being as abusive as he wanted and at the end would walk back into the pub, get changed again and start stumbling home. He came into the shop once, winked at one of the lads and showed him that day's earnings. He said he had well over €400 but even I find that hard to believe... still, he had a substantial amount. More than I ****ing earn for doing nothing anyway!

The second guy, my mate 'befriended'. Probably not the wisest of ideas, but he brought him back to the flat anyway for a drink and a couple of smokes. The guy was actually pretty sound but... and this pisses me off so much... he started bragging about how much stuff he had. His new Armani jacket, his iphone, his creative zen... this guy was staying in a tent in a mate's garden. He said he could easily start renting but the idea of spending money on something that was essentially a souped up tent didn't really appeal to him.

When you hear a 'homeless' person bragging about how much he makes, admitting that he could rent if he wanted to... I don't know, it made me so furious. I would never try and say that all beggars and 'unfortunates' are like this, but I doubt I'll ever give change again. The reality is, some of these people are raking in shocking amounts of money and they CHOOSE to spend it on luxury rather than necessity. Obviously, there's the other side, the addicts that literally cannot get out of the cycle but there's no way of knowing which is which and to be honest... the choices are those that are gonna spend the money on drink/drugs because of a serious addiction and those who will use it to buy a ****ing limited edition beatles iPod or something equally unnecessary. Fact is, it's not going to help, not in the way you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

concusssin wrote:
    One of the tabloids carried a story about how they fake disabilities - they had photos of a gypsy in Dublin limping about, begging. Then they had a photo of him wandering out of a shop with a deli-roll and his crutch casually tucked under his arm.....ever seen the old gypsy woman with the crutch around Limerick, the one who's always swaying and muttering and sticking her hand in your face?

I would love to run up and kick that crutch outta her hand, and also that other ****er with the whole "Loan of a euro bud"? Uh i been asked like twenty times and i always say no but hes too ****ed to remember i imagine!

Once I was coming home from a night out and was heading to chicken hut when a begger was sitting outside the church and he asked for spare change, I said no because I wasnt born yesterday and sorry I worked for my money, so anyway I got my chicken hut and walked down the same street and he starts roaring abuse at me, I wanted to just shout back "who the f are you to make me feel guilty!"

Uh to say the least I WAS PISSED, they are so cheeky. Maybe he should get up and sort himself out.,

Saying all this the only person I believe is homeless is that poor fella who sleeps outside Birthdays at night and reads the paper. Now I feel sorry for him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Theres an overweight guy that sits down and begs at the BOI cash machines on O'Connell Street. Noticed him flicking through songs on his brand spanking new I-pod a few months ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Anyone see the guy with the "leg" who was begging at Punch's Cross on Saturday.
    I gave him cash as I felt so awkward if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Millie wrote: »
    Anyone see the guy with the "leg" who was begging at Punch's Cross on Saturday.
    I gave him cash as I felt so awkward if nothing else.

Was driving towards Punches cross from Lidl and was stopped at lights.
    I know that when lights change only 4 or 5 cars will get through junction before lights change again.
    Beggar asking for money. Woman in front opens window and starts looking for coins in her bag. Lights change and people like me are livid as she hasn't moved. Lights change back to red and she moves through junction.
    I wonder was she breaking the law by driving without due care and attention even if she had not broke lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whatever happened yer man that sat on the corner of william st and o'connell st that used to move back & forwards while he was begging?? Sorry if it was mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

he was up beside the BOI atms the other day. no shake any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wasnt there another guy on William st, that had these glasses on and said he was blind, then one day around 6pm i saw him getting up taking the glasses off and walking freely down the street haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Mac 3 wrote: »
    I was using the BOI ATM at the top of O Connell St on Saturday last, 2 elderly american men before me in the queue. They finish and go to leave and heres this lad in a track suit, can of Carling in one hand and the other hand out.

Another drunk track suited lad asks me (very agressively) to buy him his dinner as I'm leaving Donkey Ford's one night last week.

On the other hand, as mentioned by another poster above, the lad outside Empire/Abra is very polite and non-threatening, I'd throw him whatever change I'd have leaving Abra. After biding me have a good evening the last time, he then reminded me that my shoe lace was open and to be careful not to fall..
    Yea I agree. that fella isn't bad. he seems sound out. I give him money when I walk passed.
    There is a french heroin addict that walks around by the chicken hut on his own with a back pack. I feel sorry for him but the best thing u could do is give him food. He is a raging heroin addict and often goes into the pharmacy's looking for needles.

Worst place at times on a night out imo is outside Zweton!
    God it's like the romanians and the Limerick scum unite and just hassle you.
    I ALWAYS say No, I just wish they'd f off.

Was out last night and god asked for money at least 5 times and also for a spare fag(Yes it was a scrounger)...
    I said no to all of them, they just annoy me.

Then I did feel lousy for one guy who was just sitting out in the rain, But then i thought he must be doing that to get some charity he could have easily sat inside somewhere or undder something! Not half way outside the path. Prob off his face..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Resi12 wrote: »
    Worst place at times on a night out imo is outside Zweton!
    God it's like the romanians and the Limerick scum unite and just hassle you.
    I ALWAYS say No, I just wish they'd f off.

Was out last night and god asked for money at least 5 times and also for a spare fag(Yes it was a scrounger)...
    I said no to all of them, they just annoy me.

Then I did feel lousy for one guy who was just sitting out in the rain, But then i thought he must be doing that to get some charity he could have easily sat inside somewhere or undder something! Not half way outside the path. Prob off his face..
    Hahaha. Thats funny.

I remember my mate bought this iphone and he loved it. Kept bringing it out on nights out and dropping it. Anyway he must have dropped 1 night and a romanian girl spotted it.she went over and started begging and he kept saying goway. but then she started crying and for some reason, he gave her a hug hahaha. he was hammered. anyway about 4 romanians walked over and said "come, come. We go now" to the girl. He checked his pockets.... Iphone gone. We were in knots laughin. What kind a clown hugs a romanian. He went off the henry street and went nuts haha. was comical.

• Advertisement

TheLoc wrote: »
    Hahaha. Thats funny.

I remember my mate bought this iphone and he loved it. Kept bringing it out on nights out and dropping it. Anyway he must have dropped 1 night and a romanian girl spotted it.she went over and started begging and he kept saying goway. but then she started crying and for some reason, he gave her a hug hahaha. he was hammered. anyway about 4 romanians walked over and said "come, come. We go now" to the girl. He checked his pockets.... Iphone gone. We were in knots laughin. What kind a clown hugs a romanian. He went off the henry street and went nuts haha. was comical.

Hahaha I would never touch off one!
    I know someone who always rob's them, Like he runs up and just snatches whatever they have like flowers or hats or something stupid(Not there money) hahahaha, They just start screaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lads, recent comments are borderline racist. Keep it clean or I'll lock this without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

TheLoc wrote: »
    Yea I agree. that fella isn't bad. he seems sound out. I give him money when I walk passed.
    There is a french heroin addict that walks around by the chicken hut on his own with a back pack. I feel sorry for him but the best thing u could do is give him food. He is a raging heroin addict and often goes into the pharmacy's looking for needles.

I found him asleep in our apartment building stairwell one Monday morning, surrounded by needles and cans of beer, turns out he's been doing it for ages, hangs around the front door and when residents let themselves in he sneaks up and goes in the slow closing front door, ****ing scumbag, theres kids in our building imagine one of them coming across that sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lunar_Wolf

My friend was walking home last week when three homeless people tried to mug him. He had no money, so he gave them a cooked chicken he just bought. He got home ok. What a world we live in!

AngryChicken-725760.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Laws are great as long as they are enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

There are two fellas I always go out of my way to give money to-1)the fellow who's always under that archway in cruises street with the beard and accordian-he's a nice guy, my parents knew him when he was young and he had a lot of problems in his life and 2) the fella who plays the violin and used to always be with the blind piano player (I'm actually worried about the blind fella-he's been missing a good while.) he used to always come into my shop to swap change for paper money. He is always very polite and very quiet and genuinely happy to get his bit of money.
    They both-in my eyes- work just as hard as anyone else for their money and they aren't drunk or on drugs-they're just trying to make a bit of money for food and bills etc.
    Also one beggar-who's dead now-my dad called him "coco the clown" (he used always sit outside AIB william street with a jack russell)- he was a very bad alcoholic. My dad went to school with him and told me "coco's" brother is actually quite wealthy and has tried unsuccessfully to get him off the streets and off drink but he always returned to the streets and eventually died on the streets-very sad :( He went that way after his mother died-he just couldn't handle it.

slight difference between buskers and beggars though. although, if thats defined, expect to see a lot more skobies with tin whistles very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: or what about that fella who used to sing in cruises street without actually using words-"ahemmmmmahummmahunnmmnrrrrhummmm"

• Advertisement

well it depends, was he entertaining?! :p

maybe moreso than the panpiper. i swear he's getting lazier by the day, watch him, its like he's playing "how far can i get away from the set up". ul meet him smoking a cigarette halfway up thomas st while he has the CD playing full blast down at bedford row.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement