Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Deadline Day!!!

• 01-09-2008 7:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Last chance saloon for managers to add to their squad.

Newcastle are up early and are on the verge of signing Xisco from Deportivo for £5.7million.

Also rumours that Real are gonna try make a last minute bid for David Villa following their opening day defeat yesterday

No doubt there will be more madness as the day unfolds.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/ has a superb live transfer clockwatch thing going.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

0757: New titbit from Catalan daily Mundo Deportivo, which claims Liverpool defender Steve Finnan could join La Liga outfit Espanyol in the next few hours. Apparently the price is the sticking point but the two clubs could yet reach a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cool, cheers for the link. So, today is the last day of silly season, for a wee while anyways!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is it me or is there an unusually high proportion of undisclosed deals this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

is it me or is there an unusually high proportion of undiclosed deals this year?

I noticed that. kinda takes the fun out of saying whether a deal makes sense or not. Down with that sort of thing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger please, please, please sign a central midfielder.

Sebastian Kehl to Arsenal has been doing the rounds. 28 years old, defensive midfielder, 6 foot 2, injury prone. Sounds ideal! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

corluka signs for spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Oh Lord, Xavi will not be happy!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Quaresma is gone to have a medical at Inter, looks like Mourihno got one of his targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

event wrote: »
    corluka signs for spurs

Who is he likely to replace? King or a full back?

Also a really interesting move for Finnan if it goes ahead. I think more Irish players should try and play in Continental Europe to help them develop as players.

Is the Berbatov deal on / sealed / dead????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he may be able to play in central midfield, or it may allow king to play there, i dont think zokora is good enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

event wrote: »
    he may be able to play in central midfield, or it may allow king to play there, i dont think zokora is good enough

ha, 'King' and 'playing' in the same sentence. lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Corluka will be used for the inevitable injury that Woodgate/King will suffer. Its going to happen, probably sooner then later.

Mr. X wrote: »
    Oh Lord, Xavi will not be happy!

Two weeks ago I'd be fuming, however we've signed an Argentine full back who has just won an Olympic gold medal. We'll survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Man City change ownership!???? Sold to ADUG, business consrtium from Abu Dhabi. Shinawatra gone! A whole club has been transferred!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

wynters wrote: »
    Man City change ownership!???? Sold to ADUG, business consrtium from Abu Dhabi. Shinawatra gone! A whole club has been transferred!!!

Link ?

Lol

Guy on SSN news, from arabianbusiness.com just said -
    "Think of Chelsea and times it by 10"

:D

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529580-abu-dhabi-seals-deal-for-manchester-city?ln=en
    Premier League football club Manchester City has been taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ABUG), Arabian Business can reveal.

The deal was struck late on Sunday night between the club’s former owner Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, former Prime Minister of Thailand, and ADUG.

ADUG will be represented on the new board of Manchester City by Hydra Properties CEO Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim.

Al Fahim, who led negotiations, confirmed the deal had been struck on Monday. He told Arabian Business: “We will release details later, but this is a great event for both the club and Abu Dhabi.

"Our goal is very simple – to make Manchester City the biggest club in the Premier League, and to begin with, to finish in the top four this season.”

Al Fahim stressed that the Group will solve all the club problems and clear any pending payments, and will comprehensively support the club by bringing in some of the best football players in the world.

Manchester City’s future has been uncertain following legal problems faced in Thailand by Shinawatra, who will stay on as honorary president of the club without any administrative responsibilities.

It is understood that negotiations began three weeks ago, and were completed on Sunday night at Emirates Palace Hotel in Dubai.

The deal was signed in the presence of Al Fahim, a member of the Group board and the successful architect of the deal, Shinawatra and Dr Khalid Kadfour Al-Muhairy, the head of the Emirates Group for advocate and legal consultants.

After sealing the deal for one of England's best known and oldest clubs, ABUG hope it will reinforce Abu Dhabi's position as a capital of both sport and economics.

Al Fahim said: "We in Abu Dhabi United Company for Development and Investment are keen to develop ways to provide support and care for various sports activities to help build and develop a new generation of young State, which represents the real wealth and the future of this nation and the cornerstone for building the future of our civilisation.

"As embodied in our mission to open new horizons in all kinds of sports, it will enable them to enjoy healthy body and mind, thanks to the lessons we have learned from the wise leadership in Abu Dhabi."

He added: "We will adopt marketing plans that reflect positively on the club and the company from investments in all sectors of television marketing and purchasing of the stars players, as well as development of infrastructure facilities at the club."

The deal is a huge coup for Dr Al Fahim. Through Hyra Properties he is already involved in several sports sponsorship deals, and is building a new football academy in Abu Dhabi with Italian soccer giants Inter Milan.

Manchester City was founded in 1880 under the name of "Marx Sent" (St. Marks), which was changed to "Pedro" (Ardwick AFC) in 1887. The current name was taken on in 1894.

The club has won the English League Championship twice, the FA Cup four times, the League Cup twice and the European Cup Winners Cup once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Quaresma is gone to have a medical at Inter, looks like Mourihno got one of his targets.

What a waste of money, that buy has actually made me lose some respect for Mourinho, Quaresma is a joke of a "player".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Sweet Jesus, is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Hang on...is this Man City stuff true? Where did that come from?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

MOG7 wrote: »
    What a waste of money, that buy has actually made me lose some respect for Mourinho, Quaresma is a joke of a "player".

So is the Italian league!;)

• Advertisement

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529580-abu-dhabi-seals-deal-for-manchester-city?ln=en

That's the official story (as I posted above)

SSN is doing interviews at the moment and the BBC have it.

The gist of the SSN interview is -

This is the Abu Dhabi Royal Family that have taken over

Worth 10 times what about Abromovich is and they will pay whatever it takes to surpass Chelsea, money isn't an object.

Brought the club outright. Paid around 200million mark for the club.

Debts, payments all paid off.

Looked at Arsenal, City and Newcastle, decided on City.

Frank not on the board or running the club in any way.

Al Fahim like the Arab Donald Trump, know's City inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

wynters wrote: »

Well thats what i call surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Jaysus. Pity the money won't be much good for 4 months :p

Tom65 wrote: »
    Jaysus. Pity the money won't be much good for 4 months :p

Well I'd say the deals for Kompany, SWP, Zabaleta etc were done using that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It depends whether or not its an investment or its a plaything. If its a plaything, while I'm once again disappointed to see another club go to this sort of ownership, its better than nothing. Lets hope they can help finance the new stadium and City can get back to their old ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Great news for City to get rid of the Thai chap.

The thing that would worry me most about the Abu Dhabi group is they say they intend to finish in the Top 4 this season. Which is patently nonsense!

Will they be anything like Abramovich though? Will they also be in it for pastime and not profit? I doubt it, but we'll see.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the Abu Dhabi royal family own Ethiad Airline, who sponsor Chelsea. Would that be a conflict I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    It depends whether or not its an investment or its a plaything. If its a plaything, while I'm once again disappointed to see another club go to this sort of ownership, its better than nothing. Lets hope they can help finance the new stadium and City can get back to their old ways.

If they have wiped the debts then surely its good news for city providing they don't hand out huge contracts to players for 5 years and then piss off and take their money with them.

I think this is great news for city and i think Hughes deserves it cause i'm sure he was on the verge of walking with the rubbish that was going on earlier in the summer.

I for one welcome these new arab overlords....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Two weeks ago I'd be fuming, however we've signed an Argentine full back who has just won an Olympic gold medal. We'll survive!

Well it happened two weeks ago!

Lucky for you fella's we decided to play nice....this deal could have been a real **** storm!

Babybing wrote: »
    Well it happened two weeks ago!

Lucky for you fella's we decided to play nice....this deal could have been a real **** storm!

Well the rumour from the City end is that we said you can have him but not until we get a replacement, i.e. Zabaleta.

Glad it's all sorted now and sure if he wants to join a team in the relegation zone who are we to stop him! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wow, that's pretty amazing news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Good stuff now there will hopefully be a regular top 4 challenger in the form of City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Lol if Carlsberg did weeks in football........

It's been amazing hasn't it?! Probably my best ever as a City fan

Well the rumour from the City end is that we said you can have him but not until we get a replacement, i.e. Zabaleta.

Glad it's all sorted now and sure if he wants to join a team in the relegation zone who are we to stop him! :p

Well he was pictured in a Spurs shirt on the 8th of August.

Great to get him at a knockdown price though...and nice of the lad to show a bit of ambition;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

some great rumours on the bbc site:

"My cousin works in the booking centre for British Airways - she just processed a seat from Madrid on a 4pm flight for one Robson de Souza aka Robinho."

• Advertisement

Babybing wrote: »
    Well he was pictured in a Spurs shirt on the 8th of August.

Great to get him at a knockdown price though...and nice of the lad to show a bit of ambition;):D

Ah sure after today we're gonna have loose change like that coming out of our arse so you're welcome! :pac:

dubmick wrote: »
    some great rumours on the bbc site:

"My cousin works in the booking centre for British Airways - she just processed a seat from Madrid on a 4pm flight for one Robson de Souza aka Robinho."

:DLoads of great airport ones on there:

My neighbours dog is a sniffer dog at heathrow....just seen Kaka shaking hands with Juande Ramos.

Felipe Caicedo off to Germany to play with Berlin apparently. Another duffer gone! Super!

EDIT: Ah cock, it's only on loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyway as this is meant to be the TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY THREAD here is the exellent bbc link, lots of chat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7590492.stm

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Rumour has it Barca has decided to splash out and buy Arshavin, Berbatov and Kaka after their disappointing form last night. :pac::pac::pac: Man Utd will be pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

was almost believable until you added Kaka in there at the end! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Louis Saha and Alan Smith finalising moves to Everton apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyway as this is meant to be the TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY THREAD here is the exellent bbc link, lots of chat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7590492.stm

Mike

Yeah, this gave me a chuckle :D
    0934: "I love deadline day, it's almost like Christmas, though if I get Albert Riera for Christmas I'd better get a receipt as well so I can take him back in January."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/s/1064905_blues_in_cheeky_berbatov_bid
    Blues in cheeky Berbatov bid

1/ 9/2008

CITY have made a dramatic 11th hour bid for United's number one target Dimitar Berbatov.

The Reds have been locked in transfer talks over the signing of Tottenham's Bulgarian star all summer but City, who are on the brink of being taken over by an Abu Dhabi investment group, are attempting a cheeky deadline day swoop.

The cash rich Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment have reached an agreement to buy City, and their first instruction to the Blues is to try and lure Berbatov for a reputed £28m.

The Blues may try and use Martin Petrov to persuade his international team-mate to come to City.

The audacious move is bound to rile United, even if Berbatov goes to Old Trafford as expected.

Could you imagine......!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd vomit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Please sign Berbatov City.Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Although I'd prefer to see him go abroad, selling him to City would sit a lot better with me than utd. Then maybe Ronaldo's leg could fall off, then the karma would be complete.

Crazy news about City :| Kinda feel stupid for hoping that they wouldn't be completely f*cked... Didn't want another obstacle in the top4 ambition...

Oh I hope you outbid United.....that would be great. Id love to see the look on Berbatov's face when Levy walks in and tells him "Okay we've accepted a bid, your off to Manchester":D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd love it :D Well actually I might not. I can see City doing very well if they keep that squad fit.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

CHD wrote: »
    Please sign Berbatov City.Please

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement