Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Deadline Day!!!

14567810»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

CHD wrote: »
    Yous will regret it i think.
    Post of the year right there. Absolutely priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

You stated that Rafa brought in three players and handed them all Steve's position.
    I simply pointed out that this couldn't be furthur from the truth, but that it's amazing how many peole think it is true.
    We were having a perfectly normal conversation.

You have to see how it seems to me however, if in the middle of a conversation about Finnan that we were having, you ignore my post, and instead start giving out about my attitude. As you said yourself, digging up two year old facts takes time, and I hate seemingly wasting time!;)

I stand by all I said about Finnan by the way.
    He was never pushed out by Rafa, and it's insulting to Rafa to say he was.

I didn't purposely ignore your post about Finnans stats. I was away from my computer for a few hours.
    I see that Finnan played regularly during his time at Liverpool but the stats don't always tell the true story. What i was arguing was that these players were given a shot at taking Finnans jersey and none of them succeded, until he got injured last year. If i were the manager and had a class Full Bck like SF, i would have said "it's your jersey to lose".
    This is my opinion on the matter and i don't know how many people share it, but i have seen a lot of Finnan for Pool and for Ireland and i stand by it.

I have faith in Rafa, but i don't have blind faith. At the moment i don't think he made the right decision and i will stand by my opinion until performances prove otherwise.

I was not giving out about your attitude, but merely pointing out an observation about the tone of your posts. This is all your posts i was referring to, and not just the post towards me or because i disagreed with what you were saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Xavi6 wrote: »
    OH HAI GUYS, I brought you a present -

Pie_01.jpg
    :pac:
    I admit it too like I said in my PM to ya, I was wrong :(

Enjoy it Xavi, Roll on the Manc Derbies.

PHB wrote: »
    Well, to be honest, I don't know if he's quite Spurs quality yet. Bent provides a lot of what he offers, isn't hugely different to Bent to be honest. That said, he's eager, incredibly incredibly quick, knows how to finish, instinctively I'd say, and works incredibly incredibly incredibly hard. Like I can't emphasise how hard he works, will chase everything and with his pace he gets a lot of joy out of it.

He is a good 3rd choice striker in a team that plays with just one. That said, I'd say he'd work well playing off Pavlechenko. Little and large and all that.

Did he play much for Utd. First i heard of him was last week..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I do think Rafa has made a mistake selling Finnan. I have always had less confidence in Arbeloa, Finnan is/was more reliable.
    Finnan proved this over the years as Josemi/Kronkamp and up til recently Arbeloa found it difficult to dislodge Finnan from that right back spot.
    If I recall correctly, Josemi came in and I remember being well impressed by him, then I think he got a bad head injury and he seemed to struggle from then on in.
    Kronkamp came in and he just wasn't up to scratch.
    Arbeloa has struggled, I have seen improvements in him, but imo I still rate Finnan over him.
    As for Degen coming in, I know very little of him, so, who's to say he'll be great or a flop????
    But I think Finnan's prem league experience, reliabilty, solidity will be missed at Anfield.

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I do think Rafa has made a mistake selling Finnan. I have always had less confidence in Arbeloa, Finnan is/was more reliable.
    Finnan proved this over the years as Josemi/Kronkamp and up til recently Arbeloa found it difficult to dislodge Finnan from that right back spot.
    If I recall correctly, Josemi came in and I remember being well impressed by him, then I think he got a bad head injury and he seemed to struggle from then on in.
    Kronkamp came in and he just wasn't up to scratch.
    Arbeloa has struggled, I have seen improvements in him, but imo I still rate Finnan over him.
    As for Degen coming in, I know very little of him, so, who's to say he'll be great or a flop????
    But I think Finnan's prem league experience, reliabilty, solidity will be missed at Anfield.

I do think it is interesting that he went to Spain and i think it is a move that should be considered more often for Irish and British players.
    No reason why a lot of guys couldn't do well in LaLiga or even Serie A. There are plenty of Scandanavians that don't look out of place in those leagues and also slot easily into the EPL.

What are the chances of John O'Shea turning into a world class ball-playing CB if he moved to La Liga??!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

He is very young, and has a very slight build. He needs bulking up and games, he could be good but I spose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Some amazing stuff yesterday, both clubs paid way too much for the players, neither Robinho or Berbatov are worth that kind of money.

It will also be interesting to see how Robinho will do, is he there for the money? or does he think City can push for trophys in the next few years? I'm guessing he's after the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ibh wrote: »
    Did he play much for Utd. First i heard of him was last week..

No, not at all. He played for us so far this season, and did ok, not amazing but solid.

Most United fans would agree he's not got the potential to be an utterly top class player, but can certainly be as good as the likes of Bellamy and stuff if he works at it.

He played for Hull in the championships and scored a good goal haul. They were desperate to keep him, offered us 7 million. We also got bids from Wigan.
    The guy can score goals, how he'll do as 3rd choice isn't clear, but Spurs just needed another striker and Campbell for free is a pretty damm good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Does anyone else think that almost £300million spent on one day on transfer fees is insane. In these recession fuelled times is football losing the run of itself again, will fans keep stumping up the cash for tickets, shirts, sky etc I mean £30.75m for Berbatov, £32.5m for Robinho Everton paying £15m for some 20 year old Belgian, every year it gets worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

patmac wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that almost £300million spent on one day on transfer fees is insane. In these recession fuelled times is football losing the run of itself again, will fans keep stumping up the cash for tickets, shirts, sky etc I mean £30.75m for Berbatov, £32.5m for Robinho Everton paying £15m for some 20 year old Belgian, every year it gets worse.

Even the likes of Hull and West Brom have spent 15 or so million while Stoke have not paid much less. Spurs have spent their usual 50 million while Sunderland have shelled out 40 million. Man City have shelled out 40 million in three days while the signings of Jo and Ben Haim have brought that to almost 70million. Chelsea have spent 25 million while Manure spent 30 million on one player.

The likes of Blackburn and Arsenal have to be commended for getting decent players on low wages and low fees.

Saying that im still disgusted at west hams transfer window

Het-Field wrote: »
    Even the likes of Hull and West Brom have spent 15 or so million while Stoke have not paid much less. Spurs have spent their usual 50 million while Sunderland have shelled out 40 million. Man City have shelled out 40 million in three days while the signings of Jo and Ben Haim have brought that to almost 70million. Chelsea have spent 25 million while Manure spent 30 million on one player.

The likes of Blackburn and Arsenal have to be commended for getting decent players on low wages and low fees.

Saying that im still disgusted at west hams transfer window

Did Ferriera come in?? If not, who is going to be the LB??? Surely not Lucas Neill?

Think it was a mistake to let McCartney go if there was no replacement for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I do think it is interesting that he went to Spain and i think it is a move that should be considered more often for Irish and British players.
    No reason why a lot of guys couldn't do well in LaLiga or even Serie A. There are plenty of Scandanavians that don't look out of place in those leagues and also slot easily into the EPL.

What are the chances of John O'Shea turning into a world class ball-playing CB if he moved to La Liga??!!!

I wonder did the Paco connection help Finnan decide to go to Spain?

As regards Irish players goin' to Spain/Italy, why not, but I think with a lot of younger players in Ireland the big thing is to cross the water to the UK, be easier to settle in, no language barrier.

The majority of 'foreigners' playing in the UK have English as a second language. So maybe it's more of a stumbling block or a put off for English/Irish/Scot/Welsh players to go to Spain/Italy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I didn't purposely ignore your post about Finnans stats. I was away from my computer for a few hours.
    I see that Finnan played regularly during his time at Liverpool but the stats don't always tell the true story. What i was arguing was that these players were given a shot at taking Finnans jersey and none of them succeded, until he got injured last year. If i were the manager and had a class Full Bck like SF, i would have said "it's your jersey to lose".
    This is my opinion on the matter and i don't know how many people share it, but i have seen a lot of Finnan for Pool and for Ireland and i stand by it.

I have faith in Rafa, but i don't have blind faith. At the moment i don't think he made the right decision and i will stand by my opinion until performances prove otherwise.

I was not giving out about your attitude, but merely pointing out an observation about the tone of your posts. This is all your posts i was referring to, and not just the post towards me or because i disagreed with what you were saying.

I said that it seemed as if you ignored my post, as I responded to your post, and the next reply I got from you, completely ignored it.
    I didn't say anything about how long it took you to reply, only that when you did reply, you ignored it.
    It's a simple assumption to make.

And while facts can be misleading, the ones on Finnan aren't.
    He was always played first over the other right backs brought in, and to say that a manager shouldn't constantly try to improve his squad is ridiculous.
    Finnan was never treated badly.
    It's a common misconception and one that's completely baseless.
    If you want to discuss this, with me, feel free.
    But if you want to discuss anything regarding my "attitude" that's what private messages are for.

This isn't a thread called KF's attitude!;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

MOG7 wrote:
    Some amazing stuff yesterday, both clubs paid way too much for the players, neither Robinho or Berbatov are worth that kind of money.

It will also be interesting to see how Robinho will do, is he there for the money? or does he think City can push for trophys in the next few years? I'm guessing he's after the money.
    Well in fairness Chelsea were a fringe team like Citeh are now when they were bought out. Within 4 years they had two titles and a champ's league final appearance with solid seasons in between.

This crowd that has just bought Citeh are potentially richer than Ambramovic should the entire Royal Family put their riches at the clubs disposal. City fans have every reason to expect big things should this take over be all it's reported to be. Robihno may see potential for medals in there.

Advertisement