Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Deadline Day!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Maybe not original but it still makes us feel better!
    Have u seen the amount of Liverpool fans havin a go? celebrating City making a bid for a player as if Liverpool just won something. Go read the United thread and then we'll talk aabout whose fans are bitter mate ;)

Didn't have to go too far, very next post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mod Notice:

All berbatov stuff in here
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57109935#post57109935

Thread is getting unreadable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

deise59 wrote: »
    Tevez hasn't been bought yet. He's still on loan.

he has been bought premier league are slow in processing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

DenMan wrote: »
    I am an Arsenal fan and with Man Utd/Chelsea aside would love to access to Liverpool's funds. Unfortunately we have a salary cap in place which is holding us back. This coupled with not giving players over the age of 30 a two year deal is hurting the club in my opinion. Also being one of the very few privately owned clubs with a board that hasn't changed since the 70's with little knowledge of the modern game. Miss David Dein now. Average age of the squad doesn't help either.

He hasn't recouped an awful lot in all fairnest. Any other business and you would be out the door. No wonder they Yanks are reluctant to give him more money.

http://soccerlens.com/benitez-to-take-liverpool-spending-to-120m-in-his-4th-year/1344/

Its not down to the board, its Arsene who won't give a player over 30 a 3 year deal, i'm not sure what deal Silvestre got, iirc Arsene has £30 to spend at the minute but wants to build a team properly, fair play to him, its not the boards fault at all, and how can you give out about a board which has done everything for your club:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So Finnan does a Harte....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Not true. Utd have spent nothing this Summer and have sold a few players. Chelsea have spent about 22.5 million. Less than liverpool. Plus Chelsea have released 11 players this summer permanent or otherwise.

if you check what rafa spent this summer and what he recouped i think his total spend is around £8m :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

pesireland wrote: »
    if you check what rafa spent this summer and what he recouped i think his total spend is around £8m :eek:

But the majority of what he sold, was players he bough previously. Such a high churn rate cannot be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

pesireland wrote: »

8m and 4th again..seems ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So Finnan does a Harte....

Rafa has treated Finnan very badly. I hope he is happier in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

enter Liverpool fan defending Rafa's spending policy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

MOG7 wrote: »
    Its not down to the board, its Arsene who won't give a player over 30 a 3 year deal, i'm not sure what deal Silvestre got, iirc Arsene has £30 to spend at the minute but wants to build a team properly, fair play to him, its not the boards fault at all, and how can you give out about a board which has done everything for your club:rolleyes:

Not having a dig at the board MOG7, they just need to have a look around them and see what is happening. Balancing the books is brilliant. However the club needs to be ran as a footballing business and not as a family business where shareholders are protecting their shares while looking to the Champions League to make a return on their investment, which in some cases goes back several generations. This was the point David Dein was trying to make which ultimately cost him his job. A lot of big money investers are looking towards soccer clubs because they see it as an opportunity for investment and in other cases an opportunity to escape their governments and be based in Europe (Abramovich/Shinawatra)

If Arsenal continue to lose ground and right now with other Premier League clubs getting bought out, this will hurt them with transfers and the possibility of dropping out of the Champions League places. And with that sort of drop in finances could be terrible for the club. What about if attendances drop? This coupled with the crippling costs of repaying the loan on The Emirates will be very bad for Arsenal. Let's hope the board see sense and do not allow themselves to fall out of The Big Four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Start a new thread if you want to talk about how much who spent and what [or better yet, look at an old one!]. Any more discussion of transfer budgets can go there. If anyone wants to continue this conversation, start a new thread. Otherwise anything else on it will be deleted.

This is for news updates on the last day, it'll just get extremely complicated otherwise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Killme00 wrote: »
    Rafa has treated Finnan very badly. I hope he is happier in Spain.

QIA, Finnan has been a very good servant for liverpool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Voronin is off to St. Patricks Athletic!!!

Yup, he's signed for Hertha Berlin on a season long loan, he'll be playing St.Pats in Dublin in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

deise59 wrote: »
    Voronin is off to St. Patricks Athletic!!!

Yup, he's signed for Hertha Berlin on a season long loan, he'll be playing St.Pats in Dublin in a few weeks

Are you serious about Voronin??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

How did Rafa treat Finnan badly?
    We have three right backs, two in their mid twenties, and one in his early 30's, so he moved him on.
    Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Zenit have said that Arshavin won't be going to Spurs today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Have u seen the amount of Liverpool fans havin a go? celebrating City making a bid for a player as if Liverpool just won something. Go read the United thread and then we'll talk aabout whose fans are bitter mate ;)

people posting in a teams thread just to take the p!ss out of that clubs transfer activities and get a rise out of fans? I'm shocked and appalled that people on boards would do that! :rolleyes:

Has the riera deal been wrapped up? Any other deals in the pipeline? A cheeky 2m bid for owen maybe or another winger would be nice! Also any news on pennant, voronin or itandje?

City news has really livened up the day!

Voronin - year-long loan, Hertha Berlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am an Arsenal fan and with Man Utd/Chelsea aside would love to access to Liverpool's funds. Unfortunately we have a salary cap in place which is holding us back. This coupled with not giving players over the age of 30 a two year deal is hurting the club in my opinion. Also being one of the very few privately owned clubs with a board that hasn't changed since the 70's with little knowledge of the modern game. Miss David Dein now. Average age of the squad doesn't help either.

He hasn't recouped an awful lot in all fairnest. Any other business and you would be out the door. No wonder they Yanks are reluctant to give him more money.

http://soccerlens.com/benitez-to-take-liverpool-spending-to-120m-in-his-4th-year/1344/

As for this salary cap that Arsenal has.. Their wage bill is higher than Liverpool's..

This was revealed on TV before the Arsenal match againt Newcastle on Satuday.

Was very surprised by this myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is mad, Ted

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I wonder after all this frenzy, will we actually see any major signings at all? I know on the face of it look completely crazy. The whole deadline day might turn out to be a dead duck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finnan to Espanyol? Never saw that coming! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

How did Rafa treat Finnan badly?
    We have three right backs, two in their mid twenties, and one in his early 30's, so he moved him on.
    Simple.

I am slightly biased becuase i am a big fan of Finnan, but he signed Josemi and gave him some decent gametime but Finnan was still the better of the 2. He then signed Kronkamp and the same happened. Then Arbeloa came and was basically given the RB position as first choice (never that simple with Rafa, but he was ahead of Finnan anyway). All the while, imo, Finnan was the best fullback at the club.

I know Rafa was pushing to challenge him but i am of the opinion that the position has been Arbeloa's to lose since he arrived and not the case for Finnan. I am aware that SF had a few injuries last year but i still think he could have had more gametime.
    And I don't care in the slightest that he is over 30. He has never relied on pace, and has not visibly diminished in abilites in the last couple of years.

Just my 2c worth...

As for this salary cap that Arsenal has.. Their wage bill is higher than Liverpool's..

This was revealed on TV before the Arsenal match againt Newcastle on Satuday.

Was very surprised by this myself.

Your right, it is for the size of the squad they have, which compared to other clubs is very small. Besides Gilberto was Arsenal's biggest earner and has now departed. Cesc, Gallas, Toure, RVP,Adebayor and that's that really. Rest of the players have quite modest salaries, when you consider Clichy and Sagna are defo starters every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From the BBC
    1710: Ridiculous. Manchester City's prospective new owner Dr Sulaiman Al-Fahim has revealed he has made bids for Valencia's David Villa and Stuttgart striker Mario Gomez. Can someone remind City they are not Real Madrid? Meanwhile, Madrid have not given up on Villa and appear to have entered the race for Berbatov. Best deadline day ever?

:eek::eek:

Quick someone wake Xabi

Your right, it is for the size of the squad they have, which compared to other clubs is very small. Besides Gilberto was Arsenal's biggest earner and has now departed. Cesc, Gallas, Toure, RVP,Adebayor and that's that really. Rest of the players have quite modest salaries, when you consider Clichy and Sagna are defo starters every week.

One thing that I find interesting is that ye have a relatively small squad, a squad with one of the lowest average age yet have at least the 3rd highest wage bill in the league.

I would have initially thought that one of the benefits of having a smallish and young squad would lead to a relatively low wage bill. Not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

ibh wrote: »
    I am slightly biased becuase i am a big fan of Finnan, but he signed Josemi and gave him some decent gametime but Finnan was still the better of the 2. He then signed Kronkamp and the same happened. Then Arbeloa came and was basically given the RB position as first choice (never that simple with Rafa, but he was ahead of Finnan anyway). All the while, imo, Finnan was the best fullback at the club.

I know Rafa was pushing to challenge him but i am of the opinion that the position has been Arbeloa's to lose since he arrived and not the case for Finnan. I am aware that SF had a few injuries last year but i still think he could have had more gametime.
    And I don't care in the slightest that he is over 30. He has never relied on pace, and has not visibly diminished in abilites in the last couple of years.

Just my 2c worth...

Look at most of Arbeloas first season.
    He played as left-back while Finnan was right back.

He only started taking over the right back position last season, when Finnan didn't have the best of runs.

I think Finnan is a legend, but he is starting to get on, and we need to have a reliable right back if we want to progress.

And saying that bringing in another right back is not supporting Finnan is a bit off.
    Was buying Keane a sign of Rafa not supporting Torres?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

This is becoming a joke the amount of players City are being linked with!!! Berbatov, Villa, Gomez and now Robinho!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Just got home switched on SSN lol'd, it's brilliant.
    This is all Sky Sports News is good for though, last day deadline deals.

One thing that I find interesting is that ye have a relatively small squad, a squad with one of the lowest average age yet have at least the 3rd highest wage bill in the league.

I would have initially thought that one of the benefits of having a smallish and young squad would lead to a relatively low wage bill. Not the other way around.

If you take out the players I have mentioned then the rest of Arsenal's squad are in fact on low salaries. Jermaine Pennant at Liverpool earns almost 3 times that of Bacary Sagna, staggering. Bergkamp, Campbell, Henry, Gilberto, Lehmann did account for an awful lot of that, and those stats that were given out are always from the previous years accounts and not reflective of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Is there any way to watch SSN over the net? I don't even have a tv...

If you take out the players I have mentioned then the rest of Arsenal's squad are in fact on low salaries. Jermaine Pennant at Liverpool earns almost 3 times that of Bacary Sagna, staggering. Bergkamp, Campbell, Henry, Gilberto, Lehmann did account for an awful lot of that, and those stats that were given out are always from the previous years accounts and not reflective of right now.

Interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Look at most of Arbeloas first season.
    He played as left-back while Finnan was right back.

He only started taking over the right back position last season, when Finnan didn't have the best of runs.

I think Finnan is a legend, but he is starting to get on, and we need to have a reliable right back if we want to progress.

And saying that bringing in another right back is not supporting Finnan is a bit off.
    Was buying Keane a sign of Rafa not supporting Torres?!!

No but he didn't drop Torres to play Keane.

This happened with Josemi, he was given the chance to prove the position was his. He just happened to be shite. And he bought Degan this summer presumeably to move Finnan on. Surely we don't need 3 RB's? Maybe Degan will be a great signing but, i still think there was a lot of quality left in Finnan.

I'm too busy to spend my day looking through 2yo stats but, i would hazard a guess that Aurellio's Achilles being snapped would be one reason why Arbeloa was played at LB in his first year.

BTW i like Arbeloa especially against a really good winger. But against Premier Lge opposition that we expect to beat, i would have Finnan everyday cause his distribution and attacking play is superior.

Tom65 wrote: »

Not sure but you can keep up to date with everything on their website.

http://www.skysports.com/football

1742: "I'm outside Derby's training ground and I've not seen anything - talent, skill, committment, nothing. I've been here for almost a year."
    Damian, via text on 81111

PMSL!

Tom65 wrote: »

Try here http://www.justin.tv/ you may get lucky!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liverpool have got Riera anyway:
    1744: BIG TRANSFER COMPLETED
    Liverpool's official website tells the world the news it was massively expecting - Espanyol winger Albert Riera, formerly of Manchester City, has joined on a four-year deal for a fee believed to be about £8m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\/\/\/\/\ Goodo
    1742: "I'm outside Derby's training ground and I've not seen anything - talent, skill, committment, nothing. I've been here for almost a year."
    Damian, via text on 81111

Damn you Xavi6 wuz gonna post that gem!

Mike

1744: BIG TRANSFER COMPLETED
    Liverpool's official website tells the world the news it was massively expecting - Espanyol winger Albert Riera, formerly of Manchester City, has joined on a four-year deal for a fee believed to be about £8m.

mike65 wrote: »
    Damn you Xavi6 wuz gonna post that gem!

Mike

Lol sorry Mike had to get in there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Random comment about transfers and crazy day

According to sky, a team that finished in the top 10 last season has made a move for Joey Barton.

I reckon it is Everton.

Apparently Joey Barton in talks with a top 10 club. Why???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Looks like Barton might be on the way out. David Craig says a club that finished top 10 last season has made a bid. Has to be Newcastle Jr. or Blackburn.

glenjamin wrote: »
    Apparently Joey Barton in talks with a top 10 club. Why???

He isn't a bad player in fairness.. Would suit Everton perfectly imo..

SSN reporting a team from the top ten in the prem in for Barton. Reporter saying he can't say who it is but can say the club is a top ten club. My money is on West Ham ;)

He isn't a bad player in fairness.. Would suit Everton perfectly imo..

I know Everton are desperate for players but they can't be that desperate!!! Isn't he an Everton fan anyway?

According to sky, a team that finished in the top 10 last season has made a move for Joey Barton.

I reckon it is Everton.

First Shaun, now Joey. They're all coming home! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement