Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Deadline Day!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

glenjamin wrote: »
    Apparently Joey Barton in talks with a top 10 club. Why???

You are dead right, I can confirm that here. He has some big shoes to fill.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article3832983.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

glenjamin wrote: »
    I know Everton are desperate for players but they can't be that desperate!!! Isn't he an Everton fan anyway?

He is a scouser anyway... Not sure who he supports..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Tyrone Mears joins Marseille. LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

ibh wrote: »
    No but he didn't drop Torres to play Keane.

This happened with Josemi, he was given the chance to prove the position was his. He just happened to be shite. And he bought Degan this summer presumeably to move Finnan on. Surely we don't need 3 RB's? Maybe Degan will be a great signing but, i still think there was a lot of quality left in Finnan.

I'm too busy to spend my day looking through 2yo stats but, i would hazard a guess that Aurellio's Achilles being snapped would be one reason why Arbeloa was played at LB in his first year.

BTW i like Arbeloa especially against a really good winger. But against Premier Lge opposition that we expect to beat, i would have Finnan everyday cause his distribution and attacking play is superior.

It's a commom misconception man.
    In the 2006/2007 season, the year that Arbeloa joined, Finnan made 32 Premiership starts.
    Arbeloa made 8.

I don't see how that was not giving Finnan game time.

And it's not just Arbeloa.
    Kromkamp and Josemi were never given game time over Finnan either.

Finnan

Year_______________Prem Starts
    2003/04_______________19
    2004/05_______________29
    2005/06_______________33
    2006/07_______________32
    2007/08_______________21

Last season was the first time since he joined us, except for when competeing with Carra in his first season, that he wasn't first choice right-back.

All the talk of Josemi, Kromkamp, and even Arbeloa (until last season), being picked over him is crap TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yo Xavi.

If City where serious about Berbatov why didn't they include Corulka as part of the deal since he only went today?

Stunning ploy by the new owners to make themselves look committed and get the fans on their side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

RasTa wrote: »
    Yo Xavi.

If City where serious about Berbatov why didn't they include Corulka as part of the deal since he only went today?

Stunning ploy by the new owners to make themselves look committed and get the fans on their side!
    OMG good good call there Rasta lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

RasTa wrote: »
    Yo Xavi.

Cause the Corluka deal was concluded on August 8 apparently, before this even became a possibility. Spurs let us hold on to him though til we found a replacement, i.e. Zabaleta.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Cause the Corluka deal was concluded on August 8 apparently, before this even became a possibility. Spurs let us hold on to him though til we found a replacement, i.e. Zabaleta.
    Linkage on this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Mr. X wrote: »
    Linkage on this ?
    www.lies.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Linkage on this ?

I'm just about to head to bed so really can't be arsed digging around for it at this hour.

I think it was mentioned around here by a Spurs fan though that the photo of Corluka on the Spurs official site today was actually taken on August 8 when the player first had a medical down there.

Either way, that deal was definitely not just done today, Corluka knew he was leaving even yesterday when he went over to the fans after the Sundireland game and threw his shirt into the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

joey barton is talking to a top 10 team in the prem at the moment

who'll be mad enough to sign him

if i was putting money on it

id say it be everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm just about to head to bed so really can't be arsed digging around for it at this hour.
    FFS it's only gone 6pm :pac: :p;)

he lives in oztrailia

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

DeadSkin wrote: »
    FFS it's only gone 6pm :pac: :p;)

not in australia;)

Me knows ;), joke!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

CHD wrote: »
    he lives in oztrailia

And does everyone in Oz go to bed at 6 or something???:confused:

kidding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ricardo Quaresma gone to Inter Milan from Porto. Great signing for Jose. Was sought after by many Premier League teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Seems to have slowed down a tad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

isn't Barton barred from merseyside or summit?

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »
    Seems to have slowed down a tad
    Dinner time.

Give it a while

joe316 wrote: »

id say barred from pretty much everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How did Rafa treat Finnan badly?
    We have three right backs, two in their mid twenties, and one in his early 30's, so he moved him on.
    Simple.

Wht does it matter that the best of our right fulls happens to be the oldest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

joe316 wrote: »

Yeah something like that. When we played there he wasn't allowed travel wih he squad.

Thinking about it, Pompey might be the club. They lost Muntari, and 'Arry seems to be strapped for funds these days, so a move for a knockdown Baton would make sense. Also, Willie Mckay (Barton's agent) has a fair few links to that club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

West Ham have a recent history of signing players with troubled personal histories (Bowyer, Bellamy, Neill).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah something like that. When we played there he wasn't allowed travel wih he squad.

Thinking about it, Pompey might be the club. They lost Muntari, and 'Arry seems to be strapped for funds these days, so a move for a knockdown Baton would make sense. Also, Willie Mckay (Barton's agent) has a fair few links to that club.

thats a good call, i think you may very well be on the ball! Very much an 'Arry styled move. he is a good player at the end of the day and 'arry does seem to have unorthodox methods of getting his players to perform and behave.

West Ham already have; Noble, Bowyer, Mullins, Faubart, Quashie and Dyer that can play center mid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd say Portsmouth aswell, seems like a typical 'Arry signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joey barton is talking to a top 10 team in the prem at the moment

who'll be mad enough to sign him

if i was putting money on it

id say it be everton

It's Utd. The Berbatov talk is all a smokescreen.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Wht does it matter that the best of our right fulls happens to be the oldest?

Once again you can't look past your own nose, let alone the next few months.

Finnan was great for ages, then he started getting older and slower.
    Seeing as Rafa wans wing-backs, which is something Finnan wasn't in his mid twenties, let alone at 32, he swapped him for a former winger, in his twenties.
    Finnan can do a job now, but next year?
    No.
    Sorry.

You don't build a squad around old players.
    Ask Fergie.
    The only outfield players that stay at Utd past their 30th birthday, are the leaders.
    ie: Giggs/Scholes/Neville.

All squad players say bye bye.

Sporting Life:
    1845: Graham Hunter is currently telling Sky Sports News that he has heard Real Madrid are preparing a new megabucks offer for Valenica striker David Villa.

He also says Manchester City have no chance of signing the Spain international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Diego Milito has gone to Genoa for 8 million fu*king euro. Ridiculous, all the big clubs are a*sholes for missing out on that (us included). At a top club he will score you 20+ goals a season. I'd rate him higher than Keane, and up there with Berbatov. GOD DAMNIT WHAT A WASTE OF A QUALITY PLAYER....

• Advertisement

Totally, WTF Genoa, bloody stupidity !

Well said eZe!

eZe^ wrote: »
    Diego Milito has gone to Genoa for 8 million fu*king euro. Ridiculous, all the big clubs are a*sholes for missing out on that (us included). At a top club he will score you 20+ goals a season. I'd rate him higher than Keane, and up there with Berbatov. GOD DAMNIT WHAT A WASTE OF A QUALITY PLAYER....

taught he was going to spurs

Totally, WTF Genoa, bloody stupidity !

Well said eZe!

He played there before, so I can only assume he would enjoy a return. It's just SILLY that no big clubs bidded for him, 8 million quid, that's ridiculous for a proven goal scorer.

Ok I hope I dont get in trouble this , but I am sick to my eyeballs of Spurs, or more to the point Levy.

Really didnt know that about Genoa.

Brilliant player, its surprising how some players end up at some clubs.

Surprise of the day for me, was Tyrone Mears going to Marseille, like WTF is that about, Derby were awful he was part of that rubbish defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

CHD wrote: »
    Dinner time.

Give it a while

Fergie: "Right, so we're agreed tha...oh wait, me dinner's ready. Meet back here in a couple of hours, Dimi?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1844: There is some chat now that Manchester City have made a last-gasp bid for Real Madrid's Robinho. So that's Robinho, Berbatov, Villa and Gomez. And Mark Hughes still had time for a round of golf. I say.

They're just bidding for everyone at this point. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

that is absolutely nothing short of nuts. At that money would have been a worthwhile buy for every single top club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seeing as Rafa wans wing-backs, which is something Finnan wasn't in his mid twenties, let alone at 32, he swapped him for a former winger, in his twenties.
    No.
    Sorry.

Ask Fergie.
    The only outfield players that stay at Utd past their 30th birthday, are the leaders.

Interesting, so then how the hell did Carboni survive under Benitez at Valencia?

Agreed, 8 million for a striker with a better ratio that one goal every two games in both Serie A and La Liga is nuts. Two years ago he was 3rd top goal scorer in Europe, behind only Nistelrooy and Totti!

33 in 59 games for Genoa.
    53 in 103 games for Saragosa.

How much did Darren Bent cost last year? FFS, there's talk that that Campbell fella for United will sell for 7 million pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wat

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    wat

Hahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They're just bidding for everyone at this point. :pac:
    I'd say its all just media bull, apart from the Berbatov one. Same as it was at Chelsea when they first got all the money.

Confirmed Rafa Sobis moved from Betis to El Jazeera club in UAE.. Stupid dump move for a Brazilian International... God this Brazilian generation are all about the money. Money mongering ****s. He's rubbish anyway.

EDIT - WHOLLY BRIGADE BANANA MAN, Del Piero to Inter!! Hahahahaha... Don't worry Juvemerda fans, it not your Del Piero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

A domino set of transfers but the top one must happen for the rest to go thru

Berbatov to United
    Heskey to Spurs
    Campbell to Wigan

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4082982,00.html

eagle eye wrote: »
    Interesting, so then how the hell did Carboni survive under Benitez at Valencia?

The same way that Peligrino did.
    By being one of the team leaders.
    You did read that part of my post right?!

Finnan is a lot of things.
    A realy good player.
    A great proffesional.
    But he's not one of the team leaders.

Since the Serie A FA (where you register your transfers ) close down early (at 7 ).. and don't register players by fax.. Milito's agent went down and they had closed the door and wouldn't allow him inside the premises. He literally jumped from the fence, started shouting and threw the contract inside from the window. They accepted the registration at the end.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Reading have rejected a bid from Everton for midfielder Stephen Hunt.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,14018_4083074,00.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tyrone Mears is expected to face disciplinary action from Derby County after he flew out to Marseille for a trial against the wishes of his employers. The French club proposed taking the defender on trial, with the view to him joining on a free loan, but Derby described their offer as "laughable," and "completely and utterly unacceptable". However, Derby say Mears decided to travel to Marseille for the trial, despite being under contract at Pride Park for another two years.

The story gained a bizarre twist when it was also reported this morning that Mears had had to climb through a window and crawl past manager Paul Jewell's office at Derby's training ground to collect his boots before sneaking away to meet Marseille officials.

Mears, 25, joined Derby from West Ham for £1m last summer and the Rams claim his value has increased to between £1.5m and £2m in the intervening period.

Fantastic piece of reasoning there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

No.
    Sorry.

Ask Fergie.

I seriously doubnt it's just me that thinks you post on here on all topics Liverpool in an extremely condescending manner. I don't think it endears you to a lot of posters on here, Liverpool fans or otherwise.

Finnan's game has never been about pace so i don't see how it was a major contributing factor in him being shipped out.
    Basically Rafa has taken a chance on Degan to push AA. I think Finnan should have had another shot this season as he was majorly underused last year. Rafa thinks otherwise, i hope he's right. I'd like to know when Rafa told you he wanted wing backs?? He looks to me like he wants full backs, who know how to attack.

Advertisement