Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Deadline Day!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

Would Clichy and Sagna fall into the category of Wing Backs instead of Full Backs? They always seem to be mentioned in commentary as Full Backs even though they get forward constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Just because somebody disagrees with you, doesn't make them condescending.
    Although the way that I use facts can confuse the matter I suppose.

Like when I posted a list of Finnans starts a few pages ago, to end the BS arguments about Rafa trying to force him out, or giving him little game time, and nobody responded to it, seeing as you can't argue with facts.
    Well, you can, but you just look stupid.

And as for the idea of Rafa wanting Fullbacks, and not wingbacks.

What about the numerous interiews during the summer, from Rafa, stating when asked, that he wants our width to come from our left and right backs.
    In fact, he stated that this was the very reason that he signed Dosenna and Degen.
    And yes, speed isn't part of Finnans game.
    So Rafa brought in a player who does have speed to burn.
    Cause that's the kind of fullback that Liverpool need in the new formation.
    Playing 4-2-3-1 with slow fullbacks is a non-starter.

And I'm sorry, but full backs who get forward are wing backs!

If you want to ignore facts and have a slagging match.
    Good look with that.
    But calling me "condescending" for disagreeing with your broad accusation, and backing it up with facts to disprove you, is a bit stupid really.

Sorry if that came across as condescending to you.

not trying for a slagging match. Just made a comment on something i have noticed on here. maybe it is just me that thinks it sounds condescending.

BUT, full backs who attack are not full backs!!! WTF, they are not wing backs.
    Clichy, Evra etc. THey are full backs who go forward. one of Finnans strengths above AA is his attacking contribution, even with limited pace. Degan's speed will be no good if the rest of his game doesn't match.

I'll just have to agree to disagree on his worth at the club. I would like to have kept him, others incl Rafa didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

lol at Jim White (SSN) reading out his own text messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

For whoever asked on the last page.

Sky Sports News Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Karmafaerie: most people don't have a problem with the points you make, but take issue with exactly how you make them. You rub people up the wrong way all the time.

Most decent posters around here are able to argue with other fans without resorting to name-calling, patronising or snide posts. Attack the post, not the poster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

PMSL, the tool on SSN says he's gotten a text message from Joey Barton, saying how much the Newcastle fans mean to him and that he's not leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

DenMan wrote: »
    Would Clichy and Sagna fall into the category of Wing Backs instead of Full Backs? They always seem to be mentioned in commentary as Full Backs even though they get forward constantly.

Nope, cause it's down to positining.
    Wingbacks start from slightly furthr of the field, and you really have tro have a midfield enforcer, such as Masch to cover for them.
    None of Liverpools bcks have played a wingback position this season, as ye are yet to play the 4-2-3-1 formation.

And you can't really compare Clichy and Sagna to Finnan, as both are really fast.

Don't get me wrong here.
    I think that Finnan was one of the best players Liverpool have had in the last half decade.
    But some of the crap being spouted about Rafa constantly trying to force him out is ridiculous.
    As I showed with his premiership starts ratio earlier.
    Finnan has been first choice since he arrived.
    He started last season as first choice.
    Got injured early on, and Arbeloa made the position his own.
    By the time that Finnan was pushing for a place again, Rafa had switched to the 4-2-3-1 formation that doesn't suit him.

Steve will do really well in the slower pace of La Liga IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

DeadSkin wrote: »
    PMSL, the tool on SSN says he's gotten a text message from Joey Barton, saying how much the Newcastle fans mean to him and that he's not leaving.

Or rather he didn't get a better offer !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I answered Karmafaerie and he comes back with some thing about leaders, more or less saying that every old player at Man U. was a leader or something like that. I didn't respond because there is no use arguing with someone over who is a leader and who is not.

• Advertisement

Karmafaerie: most people don't have a problem with the points you make, but take issue with exactly how you make them. You rub people up the wrong way all the time.

Most decent posters around here are able to argue with other fans without resorting to name-calling, patronising or snide posts. Attack the post, not the poster!

Please show me where I have been doing that here.
    Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

i have no problem with karmafaerie having different opinions than me on pool topics. i know he is obviously a fan, but on numerous occasions i have felt that the tone used was one of teacher-pupil, and since most my teachers were condescending cnuts i used that term. Maybe i was wrong to say that, but i don't think i am the only one to notice this at times.

I didn't state any facts, only opinions so i don't think anyone will be in a position to say it is outright wrong. It's an opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

eagle eye wrote: »
    I answered Karmafaerie and he comes back with some thing about leaders, more or less saying that every old player at Man U. was a leader or something like that. I didn't respond because there is no use arguing with someone over who is a leader and who is not.
    I think KarmaFaerie is a woman if I am not mistaken?

KarmaFaerie correct me if I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

'Dimi, Dimi, Dimi....he's signing at midnight
    Playing alongside Rooney, or upfront on his own':D

...that's my contribution to the soccer forum today....thank you and goodnight.

Mr. X wrote: »

It doesn't really matter which.
    And stop trying to set people up to make a silly comment;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

calderon has confirmed that robinho has been sold for e40m hasnt said to who though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cousin signs for Hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

SSN reporting that Ramon Calderon has confirmed on Spanish tv that Real have agreed to sell Robinho - but not who to.

EDIT: Now confirming it's to City

Also people still at Liverpool burning the midnight oil - most likely a sale but would be a good laugh to go in with another bid for Barry :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

smoke and mirrors.

has to be chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

West Ham to announce the signing of Paulo Ferreira at 00.00am. It is also reputed that one other player has signed. Furthermore, it has been considered that an 11th Hammer may be on the way out.

Arbitration issue with Sheffield United will also be dealt with at 00.00am

ibh wrote: »
    i have no problem with karmafaerie having different opinions than me on pool topics. i know he is obviously a fan, but on numerous occasions i have felt that the tone used was one of teacher-pupil, and since most my teachers were condescending cnuts i used that term. Maybe i was wrong to say that, but i don't think i am the only one to notice this at times.

I didn't state any facts, only opinions so i don't think anyone will be in a position to say it is outright wrong. It's an opinion...

IBH, I was never in anyway condescending to you in here.
    You stated that Rafa brought in three players and handed them all Steve's position.
    I simply pointed out that this couldn't be furthur from the truth, but that it's amazing how many peole think it is true.
    We were having a perfectly normal conversation.
    I am slightly biased becuase i am a big fan of Finnan, but he signed Josemi and gave him some decent gametime but Finnan was still the better of the 2. He then signed Kronkamp and the same happened. Then Arbeloa came and was basically given the RB position as first choice (never that simple with Rafa, but he was ahead of Finnan anyway). All the while, imo, Finnan was the best fullback at the club.

I know Rafa was pushing to challenge him but i am of the opinion that the position has been Arbeloa's to lose since he arrived and not the case for Finnan. I am aware that SF had a few injuries last year but i still think he could have had more gametime.
    And I don't care in the slightest that he is over 30. He has never relied on pace, and has not visibly diminished in abilites in the last couple of years.

No but he didn't drop Torres to play Keane.

This happened with Josemi, he was given the chance to prove the position was his. He just happened to be shite. And he bought Degan this summer presumeably to move Finnan on. Surely we don't need 3 RB's? Maybe Degan will be a great signing but, i still think there was a lot of quality left in Finnan.

I'm too busy to spend my day looking through 2yo stats but, i would hazard a guess that Aurellio's Achilles being snapped would be one reason why Arbeloa was played at LB in his first year.

BTW i like Arbeloa especially against a really good winger. But against Premier Lge opposition that we expect to beat, i would have Finnan everyday cause his distribution and attacking play is superior.

It's a commom misconception man.
    In the 2006/2007 season, the year that Arbeloa joined, Finnan made 32 Premiership starts.
    Arbeloa made 8.

I don't see how that was not giving Finnan game time.

And it's not just Arbeloa.
    Kromkamp and Josemi were never given game time over Finnan either.

Finnan

Year_______________Prem Starts
    2003/04_______________19
    2004/05_______________29
    2005/06_______________33
    2006/07_______________32
    2007/08_______________21

Last season was the first time since he joined us, except for when competeing with Carra in his first season, that he wasn't first choice right-back.

All the talk of Josemi, Kromkamp, and even Arbeloa (until last season), being picked over him is crap TBH.

The only way I was even slightly condescending, was to STEKelly.
    I probably shouldn't have been, but I'm sure you're aware of a few of the arguments he's been involved in over in the LFC hread over the last few days, so I carried it over.
    My bad.

It still doesn't mean that I was talking down to you, and I'm sorry if it seemed so.
    You have to see how it seems to me however, if in the middle of a conversation about Finnan that we were having, you ignore my post, and instead start giving out about my attitude. As you said yourself, digging up two year old facts takes time, and I hate seemingly wasting time!;)

I stand by all I said about Finnan by the way.
    He was never pushed out by Rafa, and it's insulting to Rafa to say he was.

Mr. X wrote: »

If I'm a woman then I'm a damn ugly one!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Just got back home.

I love transfer deadline day, though that love is conditional on Berbatov signing for Man Utd.

I'd actually quite like to see Robinho move to Man City. It'd be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

SSN said was an agreement for Robinho -> ManC. But will he want to go!?

All thats certain is Xavi6 is gonna have an aneurysm when he wakes up :D

SofaK wrote: »
    All thats certain is Xavi6 is gonna have an aneurysm when he wakes up :D

He'll still think he's dreaming :pac:

zing wrote: »
    He'll still think he's dreaming :pac:

Wouldn't it be great if we doctored the last days worth of posts, so when Xavi gets up and runs to boards, all that's there is someting about City signing Joey Barton back!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I guess Campbell is Spurs bound after all. From the Beeb:
    2317: Breaking news which I told you at 2236: Hull City Chairman Paul Duffen tells BBC Radio Humberside that he expects Manchester United striker Frazier Campbell to join Spurs as part of Dimitar Berbatov deal. 'I told you so' is such a cheap phrase, don't you think?

I'm sorry, but can we all just take a moment, grab a few breaths, and thank God/Allah/Buddha/random chance for football. There's no action on any pitches, but still we're kept up to midnight with these transfers - better than most movies.

You go, football. You go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Robinho done deal with Man City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Robinho to go to City!?!?!?! OMG if new City owners managed to do something like this in a day i am scared soon they will bring every player they wish coz its obvious theres no player they cant pay good enough to come to City!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

robinho to city official ssn says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

robinho to city, fact, SSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Robinho confirmed for City!!!

SSN confirming Robinho to city

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Was watching a movie and then flicked over to SSN to see the breaking news bar down the bottom and the story about Robihno to Citeh.

Nuts.

EDIT - Ha, me and the four lads above obviously. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Tut i wanted Robinho:( (chelsea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Sky Sports News have just said Robinho is a "done deal".

Couldn't say if the paperwork was submitted yet.

28 minutes to go.

Has been cleared from the Spanish end as well whatever that means.

Merry Christmas Xavi.

Edit: Reporter at City has said it's not quite done. Merely a matter of minutes though I'd imagine.

Not yet maybe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Fuppin hell. Mad.......Robinho......That's some statement from Citeh's owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Big LOL at the ManC fans on SSN :)

The Wiki folk are quick on the buzzer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_city#Players_and_staff

• Advertisement

So, according to SSN, is Robinho gone to Man City? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is going to be one unbearably smug chappie on here early tomorrow :pac:

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Insane really.

Cant wait for Xavi's first post in the morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

That's a huge signing for City.

Fair play to Hughes and the oilmen!

BBC haven't updated in 5 minutes! Can't stand it!

Every day should be transfer deadline day.

Oh wait...now they have. Sh*t.

We might not have to wait any longer....he'll def have set an early alarm!

• Advertisement

Well while there is still time I have pretty much got it from an official source that there will be no signings for Blackburn today, which means we end up without a Right Midfielder even though we got 17m for the one we sold. If this is the case we will more than likely be in the bottom three at Christmas.
    I really hope I'm missing something and that I'm wrong about Ince but after watching our first three games and seen the total lack of organisation at the back and between the defense and midfield I am very very worried. And thats not even going into the players he has signed or the other positions that we need players for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

This is the maddest transfer deadline day in history, FACT.

If DIC get Liverpool between now and Xmas, I expect that one to be even better! Who says thw world economy is in the sh!t. It's mad I tells you, MAD :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

zAbbo wrote: »

I love you sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roman will have Kenyons balls in a mincer.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement