Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Cooking Sauces - Sharwoods

• 01-09-2008 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Here’s the thing, personally I think that Sharwoods cooking sauces are quite good. Obviously not as good as homemade but when not in the mood to start from scratch they do the job. Not too salty or full of colourings & the range is good. Recently, I have tried some of the Indian cooking sauces & was quite impressed. I had been looking in the shops for the Bhuna but couldn’t find it stocked anywhere. All they seem to have is Korma Cooking Sauce, Rogan Josh Cooking Sauce, Balti Cooking Sauce, Madras Cooking Sauce & Tikka Masala Cooking Sauce – the typical take away sauces.

I had a look on their website & they do indeed produce a Bhuna. After sending a mail through their feedback section I received the following reply from Premier Foods:

“Unfortunately, Premier Foods Ireland do not supply that particular Sharwoods Sauce. Our sales and marketing teams looked at all sauces in the range, and a decision was made not to list this particular sauce. I am sorry that we cannot help you further at this time.
    Kind Regards,
    Customer Care
    Premier Foods Ireland”

Which to me reads – “We think Irish people won’t try anything other that what they get in a takeaway”.

So, my request for any Indian fans out there send the following mail to Premier Food to persuade them to improve their range of Sharwoods Indian cooking sauces in Ireland!

Cheers & I appreciate any help given in persuading Sharwoods to stock a better Indian range in Ireland!

Tom C

Feedback link:http://www.sharwoods.com/contact-us.htm

Suggested content:
    Hi,
    Can you let me know if you will begin stocking a greater range of Indian cooking sauces in Ireland? I am particularly interested in the Bhuna & the Dopiaza. I have also seen that Sharwoods have a range of 'lighter' cooking sauces - I haven't yet seen these in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you tried the Pataks sauces? they are fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you tried the Pataks sauces? they are fairly good.

I ended up with food poisoning after eating two of these in 4 days! The doc recons that it was the food colouring in the sauce that did it – so never again!

Bump! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried getting sauces from asian stores? They usually stock a wider range than would generally be available in the likes of Dunnes, Tesco, etc.

That may be easier than trying to get a groundswell of support from the boards foodies to tackle Premier Foods on your Bhuna issue.

I'll give that a try but I'm a believer in power in numbers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Are you sure the Tesco Extra stores or Aldi or Lidl don't stock it as I'm sure I saw it on the shelves recently, on second thoughts it may have been the Grossman range.

Scawgeen wrote: »
    Are you sure the Tesco Extra stores or Aldi or Lidl don't stock it as I'm sure I saw it on the shelves recently, on second thoughts it may have been the Grossman range.

Thanks - i'll give them a try!

I got Pataks Bhuna paste is the north.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tesco used to do a range of sauces called Shere Khan and the Bhuna one was very nice.
    Maybe they still do them?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Alternatively, does anyone have a good Bhuna recipie? Any of the ones I've seen don't really have a sauce, but when bought in an Indian restaurant the Bhuna is s spicey, fresh tomatoey sauce!

• Advertisement
Advertisement