Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need gas line..

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Replaced an old boiler with a Glow Worm nat gas fired condensing boiler. Bord Gais installed the gas line to the house and the meter box but I do not have the meter yet. Can anyone here do this work and arrange the meter? Gas work only, I did all the plumbing and controls etc.. Located in Swords.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

you will have to get an RGI registered gas installer to fit all the gas pipework and the flue and then certify the installation,when he certifies it he gives the cert to bord gais then they fit the meter,
    theres a list of registered installers in your area on the bord gais web site

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fingallion

Actually you don't require an RGI ...From Bord Gais's website.......'Should you use a Non-Registered gas installer when installing a new gas installation, a charge of €150 will apply in respect of necessary safety checks carried out by Bord Gáis Networks at the time of fitting your gas meter.' This is all I need as I am happy to pay BG to inspect it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Bord gais will send a RGI to inspect the work. Only a registered gas installer is covered to pass your job.

Thanks for the answers 311 and Landydef but ACTUALLY already know the procedure with Bord Gais. I was just curious if anyone here wanted to do the gas line installation. I am looking for a plumber who wouldn't mind doing a small job who might be in the swords area.

Listen ACTUALLY ,just get a registered gas installer to do the gas pipe and thats it. They will hand you the necessary paperwork and connect the gas line.

• Advertisement

I apologize for capitalizing 'actually', didn't mean sound like that.

Anyway 311, I did call a few RGI installers in Swords that I got off the Bord Gais register and had mixed results. One of them was pretty nice and explained that he would not normally take on the gas job if he hadn't installed the whole CH system as he did not want to sign off on my (or anyone elses) work. He suggested getting a smaller (more of a service type) plumber with a VAT number to just do the gas and have BG come and inspect it and install the meter. I called BG and they suggested the same thing. So my post is just to find plumber that would be interested in a small job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

check out callaplumber.ie

Thanks, will check it out.

Fingallion wrote: »
    I apologize for capitalizing 'actually', didn't mean sound like that.

Anyway 311, I did call a few RGI installers in Swords that I got off the Bord Gais register and had mixed results. One of them was pretty nice and explained that he would not normally take on the gas job if he hadn't installed the whole CH system as he did not want to sign off on my (or anyone elses) work. He suggested getting a smaller (more of a service type) plumber with a VAT number to just do the gas and have BG come and inspect it and install the meter. I called BG and they suggested the same thing. So my post is just to find plumber that would be interested in a small job.

I never knew thats what the gas company would recommend. From my end of things ,I'd find it very hard to sign off a job like the nice guy said.
    I honestly thought that the way to do it ,was to get someone like myself.

Advertisement