Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep having to repair wireless network.

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    My laptop has developed a problem.
    Every 5 minutes or so I have to manually repair the wireless connection as disconnects itself for some unknown reason. Anybody know whats going on. It's not the router as my GFs laptop is on the same network and never loses the connection.
    I'm running XP BTW

Cheers
    HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What equipment are you using to connect and the make model etc of the router etc?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi
    I've got an eircom neotopia wireless router and a Linksys WPC54G
    Wireless-G Notebook Adapter.
    It was working great up to yesterday :confused:

Cheers

HB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Change the channel in the router to channel 11 and see if it continues to drop all the time. If it keeps loosing it then you will have to ring eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Left click the little wireless icon in the Toolbar (The Computer with the lines coming out of it), click Status, then click Support, show us a screen shot of that it says.

Your IP address should be 192.168.1.XX

Your Default Gateway should be: 192.168.1.254

If it isn't then it isn't eircoms problem its with the card set up.

I've a feeling its the card at fault. Like I said the other laptop on ht enetwork has no problems. Is there another application that can manage wireless networks other than the windows one? Could narrow it down if I knew it wasn't the win app.
    Can't check those IP addresses ATM, I'm in work. I'll check later on :)

Cheers

HB

• Advertisement

To be fair to Windows there app is actually quite good, IMO. I always tell people to use it as I find other apps, especially NetGear just tiresome and over complicated for some users.

I'd say its the card personally. Rare to be a modem problem. Do you use WEP or WPA?

WEP

Change it to WPA. WEP is hackable. WEP isn't the problem, but it doesn't help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Change the channel in the router to channel 11 and see if it continues to drop all the time. If it keeps loosing it then you will have to ring eircom.

A wireless signal dropping has absolutely nothing to do with Eircom or any isp.

Tried all suggestions and still the problem persists :(

• Advertisement

Its your card I'd say. You mentioned your girlfriend uses an ethernet cable, correct?

Regarding my other post, whats your IP when your connected?

dub45 wrote: »
    A wireless signal dropping has absolutely nothing to do with Eircom or any isp.
    How is this helpful??? :rolleyes:

How is this helpful??? :rolleyes:

Because of this .............
    Originally Posted by jonny24ie

dub45 wrote: »
    Because of this .............

Nope its an EIRCOM router so if the router is borked it is their problem. But saying that, more helpful answers really were the norm in this forum...

MC :eek:

Nope its an EIRCOM router so if the router is borked it is their problem. But saying that, more helpful answers really were the norm in this forum...

MC :eek:

You should have read the first post in the thread:rolleyes:
    Hi All
    My laptop has developed a problem.
    Every 5 minutes or so I have to manually repair the wireless connection as disconnects itself for some unknown reason. Anybody know whats going on. It's not the router as my GFs laptop is on the same network and never loses the connection.
    I'm running XP BTW

Cheers
    HB

Bring back IRLROBINS ;)

Advertisement