Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multimedia Hard Drives

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

I've ben using an Argosy media player for a few years now, I've never had a problem

https://client.mcp-international.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Argosy-ArgosyConsumerChannel-Site/en_US/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductUUID=iXjAqAG6uf8AAAEVeLAjBFrF&CatalogCategoryID=HVvAqAG3ZHcAAAETntEfOHEX&JumpTo=OfferList

Another thing you might want to consider would be the likes of a Pinnacle ShowCenter, these dont actually store movies but are connected to your pc via an ethernet cable.If your tv is near the pc and your hard-drive is big enough I would opt for this method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I'd give a big thumbs up to a NMT based device like the Popcorn Hour or the IstarHD. These network devices can play anything you throw at them and are customisable via a great developer commmunity. Try www.mpcclub.com for reviews.

MT

MediaTank wrote: »
    I'd give a big thumbs up to a NMT based device like the Popcorn Hour or the IstarHD. These network devices can play anything you throw at them and are customisable via a great developer commmunity. Try www.mpcclub.com for reviews.

MT

MediaTank,What exactly is an "NMT device"?

I guess I didn't explain it at all. A NMT (networked media tank) device is a product developed by Syabas Technology that combines Digital Media Adaptor (DMA), NAS, Media Server and Torrent downloader in a single low cost device. Some versions include DVD and BluRay playback capability. Syabas have then licensed this technology to other companies such as Istar and eGreat and Syabas themselves all have made hardware prouducts based on the NMT. Check out the threads on this forum with Popcorn Hour in them for more information.

MediaTank wrote: »
    I guess I didn't explain it at all. A NMT (networked media tank) device is a product developed by Syabas Technology that combines Digital Media Adaptor (DMA), NAS, Media Server and Torrent downloader in a single low cost device. Some versions include DVD and BluRay playback capability. Syabas have then licensed this technology to other companies such as Istar and eGreat and Syabas themselves all have made hardware prouducts based on the NMT. Check out the threads on this forum with Popcorn Hour in them for more information.

Sounds good, but what I dont really get about these machines with a built-in torrent downloader, how can they work if the pc is turned off? Do you have to install a program like utorrent onto the media tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Bigs thumbs up for the NMT (popcornhour) - have it since March and it's great! It's good value too - for the hardware you are getting. I also use it as a backup device for all important photos/videos.

The Bit Torrent Client is very useful - you download the torrent file to your pc/laptop - then upload this file via a web interface to the NMT - and that's it - it churns away. There are 2 torrent clients on it since the last firmware update.

kingaaa wrote: »
    Sounds good, but what I dont really get about these machines with a built-in torrent downloader, how can they work if the pc is turned off? Do you have to install a program like utorrent onto the media tank?

If you install a hard drive in the NMT device, then you can use the built in BT client in the NMT. No need for a PC, jsut configure the torrents you want to download via a simple web interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

I purchased this thinking that film I captured from my mini dv camcorder using windows movie maker could be played back to my tv but it says that the file is an unsupported format. Am I doing something wrong or did I buy the wrong media drive. Thanks for any help.

It doesn't appear to support WMV format which is the Windows video format. So you either have to convert to a format it does understand or make your recording in a format it understands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Supported file types are AVI, VOB, DVD, MPEG 1/2/4, XVID, DIVX. Windows MOvie Maker usually encodes into a wmv file. Is that what you have?
    If so, you could try the manufacturer website to see if there are any firmware to support wmv. Or instead of capturing to wmv, get software to encode in another format. www.videohelp.com has loads of guides and tools for this.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help I see where I am going wrong now need to capture in a different format or like you said convert the file.

I'd be very suprised if your camera/software can't create files in MPEG2 format, which will work out of the box.

I tried to capture via usb and software supplied and have got no where hours wasted and loads of bad film.

I switched to firewire and windows movie maker and was up and running in minutes adding music and some editing the only problem I have to convert to dvd to show anybody was hoping the media drive you cut this out.

The media drive has a record facility and av input might be able to record from camera to drive directly but then i can't show off my editing skills:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Firewire is the correct cable to use. Is it possible to write the DVD data to hark disk rather the DVD disk? If so, copy this data to the drive as the drive should be able to play this data (VOB file extension). Look at any video DVD for an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

These are the best I could find
    http://www.mvix.net/
    http://www.iomega-europe.com/section?SID=47c95ab4f280fd10a01faf467a2ee29294d:4725&secid=39287

Peats on Parnell street in dublin sells the screen play for €180 best thing is that it has scart and HD output.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

emmo, i looked up that mvix thingy, looks like a right piece of kit, could only find one here tho:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MVIX-MX-780HD-Media-Player-Open-Box-Unit-Great-Deal_W0QQitemZ300260415778QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300260415778&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

i was going to buy a Popcornhour until i saw this, not sure which is better tho!

Advertisement