Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the North side of the city more run down?

Options
  • 01-09-2008 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I often wonder why the north side seems dirtier. The buildings and the streets etc just look less well maintained than the south side of the city. Is it because the bulidings and streets are much older?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Don't Feed The Troll!
    [Ducking, Running] :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Whats that I hear?

I know! Its the calm before the storm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Give a few examples? of what you mean by rundown and where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's just a general observation. The Georgian houses around parnell look a lot less well kept than the Georgian houses in baggot st, for example. The bricks look dirtier and the footpaths. Maybe someday I will walk around with a notebook and find more examples, but it's just an observation I have always had as a person. I am from the northside myself and always felt the southside of the city looked more pleasant and tidier. Or maybe it's just a case of the citys' always cleaner on the other side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Snobbery as to why the northside is not kept tidier than the southern part?

That said, there are/was also large tracts of land on the southside derelict in the likes of D2, D4 and D8.
    Wishbone's pics can verify this :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Perhaps it has to do with the northside having more social housing (or previously tennements) for longer in a more concentrated area that historically didn't attract the same numbers of white collar proffessional companies into its environs? Keeping it to the D.1 and D.2 areas.

(P.S. I think it's hard not to agree with OP and that's not being snobby (northsider here and proud of) just being naturally observational and inquizative).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

WindSock wrote: »
    It's just a general observation. The Georgian houses around parnell look a lot less well kept than the Georgian houses in baggot st, for example. The bricks look dirtier and the footpaths. Maybe someday I will walk around with a notebook and find more examples, but it's just an observation I have always had as a person. I am from the northside myself and always felt the southside of the city looked more pleasant and tidier. Or maybe it's just a case of the citys' always cleaner on the other side :)
    There's more money pumped into the southside. The majority of Georgian houses in the Stephens Green area, for example, seem to be businesses that will want to keep their buildings clean. But on the northside, they mainly seem to be cheap accommodation that no one gives two f*cks about.

I'm sure there's hundreds more reasons, so someone else can list those. I'm lazy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

humberklog wrote: »
    (P.S. I think it's hard not to agree with OP and that's not being snobby (northsider here and proud of) just being naturally observational and inquizative).

I too am a north sider and agree with you.

Corporation housing which lead to other social problems I reckon would be a large element of it.

The southside has always been the more monied side.
    More businesses and what not set up out there.
    Some of it is very nice (not without its ****ty parts too of course!)

More investment has taken place there over the last 10-15 years for sure.
    Even the bus routes there are better served and with nicer buses.

[monty python] help, help! I'm being repressed! [/monty python] :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

There is definitely a difference. Walk in a straight line from Stevens Green / Earlsfort to the Liffey, then walk the same distance on the other side and you'd need to be wearing blinkers not to notice.

Probably does have to do with there being more offices / business on the south.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The posh houses of the wealthy on the northside became tenements when the train line out to Kingstown (hurrah your Majesty) allowed the well to do to live out that direction and not have to mingle with the hoi polloi in the city.

The decline just went on from there. It might be an interesting piece of research to see how many of the northside buildings in bits are owned by people who live on the southside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The majority of the rundown Georgians on the northside are owned by an elderly couple who bought them with a view to stopping their demolition but can no longer afford their upkeep. If you're talking about O'Connell Street etc it's due to landbanking by developers. Part of O'Connell Street has been derelict since before the Pope came to Ireland. DCC are largely to blame for that. Having said all that, probably the best maintained Georgian street as such is on the northside at Nth Great Georges Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Northside is a kip because they don't appreciate anything they're given. Take a trip around the newly-housed Ballymun ex-flat dwellers estates. Destroyed by graffiiti and burned-out cars, a disgrace.

Take a trip through Raheny's vandalised kips and Finglas's shot-in-the-head pubs. Through Swords overbuilt dumps and Malahide's pathetic would-be-posh croquet clubs. Through Drumcondra's alco-soaked streets and the Abbey's constant struggle to keep the junkie's out. Through the redline Luas attacks and the gathering of low-lifes on O'Connell St and Parnell St every weekend.

Northsiders have no aspirations in life and a two-week trip to "Lanzarottteee" is about as good as it gets. They are materialistic, ostentatious idiots who think driving around in an ugly souped-up Honda Civic with their Ooompa-Loompa girlfriends is living the high-life. They have no history, no respect and are a blight on the Dublin name, a county bred with great writers, wits and artists....now consumed with morons walking into pubs on Sunday afternoons with car keys swinging, beanie hats and muscle tops.

Majority of Southsiders are more confident, cultured and intelligent and don't spend the weekends driving around Santry's Omni Centre cowardly shouting out of their car windows at 'foreigners' and stopping off at the "chinks" for "chicken balls and curry sauce", abusing these low-paid workers to make themselves feel better about their pathetic unfulfilled lives.

No investment in the Northside has ever been wise. It's a dump and always will be.

Rant over.

And relax :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gurramok wrote: »
    Wishbone's pics can verify this :D
    Always happy to oblige with a sample of images of the plush southside!

BritainQuay.jpg

ChamberStreetFlats.jpg

GrandCanalPlaceHaltingSite.jpg

IslandStreetDerelictStreet.jpg

ExchangeStreetLowerDerilictSiteShoo.jpg

JamesStreet1.jpg

JamesStreet8.jpg

MarrowboneLane3.jpg

MolyneuxYard110608.jpg

ShawStreet.jpg

StLukesAvenue-1.jpg

ThomasStreetCoombeCabs.jpg

TownsendStreet.jpg

Unknown7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Northside is a kip ..yadda yadda yadda

Nice brush you've tarred an entire half city with, there. I also note the selectiveness with which you've omitted areas on both halves that run counter to your argument, which I'm not going to get into here.

Oh no, the Northsiders have inadvertently proved my point by including a shot of the Ulster Bank at George's Dock in one of them....dear oh dear

Must try harder!!!

Typical insecure Northsider :pac::pac::pac:

Yakuza wrote: »
    Nice brush you've tarred an entire half city with, there. I also note the selectiveness with which you've omitted areas on both halves that run counter to your argument, which I'm not going to get into here.

Very few on the south, a lot on the west but that's neither. I've lived on the Northside on and off for maybe 5 years. I know what <SNIP> over there.

Mod edit: Tone it down Ian Curtis.

Welcome to Paddy's Day, Finglas Style :rolleyes:

finglas_riots.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHCXzh7TVIqqaePKE_x6lomi-Y8gg

I know which side of the city you'd rather be :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Draw a line along the Liffey roughly from Lucan to the Point Depot. Anything South of that in Dublin County = Southside, and anything North of it (and in Dublin County) = Northside. No need for West/East distinctions here, esp as OP specifically asked for North/South comparison :)

Yakuza wrote: »
    Draw a line along the Liffey roughly from Lucan to the Point Depot. Anything South of that in Dublin County = Southside, and anything North of it (and in Dublin County) = Northside. No need for West/East distinctions here, esp as OP specifically asked for North/South comparison :)

Bull

These kips are neither North nor South, just soulless suburban shopping-centre defined kips.

Even the Northside is better than these Fisher Price dumps.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Sorry Wishter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Very few on the south, a lot on the west but that's neither. I've lived on the Northside on and off for maybe 5 years. I know what <SNIP> over there.

I know you're trolling as usual but I've little else to be doing at the moment...

When you are living on the northside, are you all of the things that you say of northsiders are?

I know you're trolling as usual but I've little else to be doing at the moment...

When you are living on the northside, are you all of the things that you say of northsiders are?

Just giving my opinion, not trolling.

I hated living on the Northside, did it for commuting reasons but never associated with them.

Horrible, horrible place.

But you were one of 'them' if you lived there, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Just giving my opinion, not trolling.

I hated living on the Northside, did it for commuting reasons but never associated with them.

Horrible, horrible place.

You're getting boring now. Trolling is exactly what you are doing.
    How about posting where you live and where you are from!;)

You're getting boring now. Trolling is exactly what you are doing.
    How about posting where you live and where you are from!;)

From rathfarnham, live in terenure. Lovely places.

Northsiders are a touchy bunch. You don't like their home = troll.

Oh dear.

Terenure thats the place beside Tallaght and crumlin - I see

From rathfarnham, live in terenure. Lovely places.

Northsiders are a touchy bunch. You don't like their home = troll.

Oh dear.

For the record, I unlike you, have never lived on the northside so I guess that makes me better than you.

OK troll, I'm outta here...

Terenure thats the place beside Tallaght and crumlin - I see

Not too good on the oul geography I see.

• Advertisement

Not too good on the oul geography I see.

A honours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement