Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the North side of the city more run down?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dats_right wrote: »
    ...I suppose the snobbery thing comes with lower and upper middle class people on the southside thinking that because there three bed semi's postcode ends in an even number ...
    So, O'Deveney Gardens, D8 are on the southside now? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Just let you know mate O'Devaney is in Dublin 7 postcode
    area,your probably thinking of Parkgate Street which is round corner which is Northside but Dublin 8;)

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Just let you know mate O'Devaney is in Dublin 7 postcode
    area,your probably thinking of Parkgate Street which is round corner which is Northside but Dublin 8;)
    Damn! But you got my point - there is an even-numbered postcode on the northside. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Always happy to oblige with a sample of images of the plush southside!

Do you know what would have been really cool? If in one of those pics, there was grafitti on the wall that said "Who watches the watchmen?" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

esel wrote: »
    Damn! But you got my point - there is an even-numbered postcode on the northside. :D
    Indeed - Mrs McAleese and her family reside in Dublin 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Indeed - Mrs McAleese and her family reside in Dublin 8.

Yes on the northside, along with the Zoo, Airport, GPO, Main street, IFSC, Point ( Now O2 arena ) ,Abbey Theatre , National Museum, Botanic Gardens, Largest Urban Park in Europe i.e. Phoenix Park, Croke Park.... The list goes on and on.

Yes on the northside, along with the Zoo, Airport, GPO, Main street, IFSC, Point ( Now O2 arena ) ,Abbey Theatre , National Museum, Botanic Gardens, Largest Urban Park in Europe i.e. Phoenix Park, Croke Park.... The list goes on and on.
    I think you've missed the point johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I think you've missed the point johnny!

No, I listed the Point:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Aren't the IFSC and 02 Arena on the southside?

Also, as someone who's both a southsider and a northsider, I think these debates are hilarious. The northside is now trying to be the southside with more "up market" residential areas popping up (padded by scum) and southsiders in fancy areas acting as if they're knackers because it's cool to be oppressed, man.

Either way, both sides of the city are filled with proverbial kips and nice areas, it just so happens that the southside has more "nice" areas and amenities like the DART etc.

OK lads - back on topic or I'll have to close it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Aren't the IFSC and 02 Arena on the southside?
    Well the IFSC is definitely on the NorthSide, no idea about the O2 arena. Also regarding dilapidation, Once you get to Thomas Street or even the end of South Georges Street on the Southside that part of the city begins to decline.

Generally speaking though, yes, the Northside does seem to suffer from more neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well the IFSC is definitely on the NorthSide, no idea about the O2 arena. Also regarding dilapidation, Once you get to Thomas Street or even the end of South Georges Street on the Southside that part of the city begins to decline.

Generally speaking though, yes, the Northside does seem to suffer from more neglect.

Oh you're right, I'm thinking of that bridge the wrong way around :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Busniesses and concerned residents/owners are the ones who pester the council into keeping up the standards. It takes a concerted effort to get them to bother and yes with the luas and the developement of several streest there had been new life breathed into parts of the northside of the city but not as much.

I reckon it has to do with the lack of bus routes/ corridors in and around the northside of the city. The red luas works killed of a lot of business on abby st ect which was unfortunate.

A lot of people will not travel outside of the O'Connell st and Grafton street corridor which I think is daft.

....the southside has more "nice" areas and amenities like the DART etc.
    Does 'your' DART turn around at Tara St (that salubrious southside station) then?

Not your ornery onager

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Busniesses and concerned residents/owners are the ones who pester the council into keeping up the standards
    It's a bit of a viscious circle.

Regardless of whether it north or south, people in 'nice' areas tend to vote, lobby their elected representatives, know how to get their point across and therefore get things done.

People in 'neglected' areas tend to vote in very low numbers and generally not bother utilising their elected representatives. The elected representatives then naturally don't bother concentrating much energy in areas where they have few votes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

More people in neglected north inner city areas do appear to neglect their area more though. Take Dominick St. flats for e.g. I've seen more mattresses flung onto the street(then burnt or worse...left burning), shopping trolleys strewn(there's cash to be had there for a nipper), soiled nappies flung onto the path and all this only over this summer months. The stuff is cleared away quite quickly by the corpo but alas the perpetrators are persistant.
    All young skangers litter regardless of city (or country) but the objects left strewn on some of the grubbiest of north inner city areas are adult's belongings. i don't really wanna be singling out certain areas (but i will). Lower Sheriffer and Lwr and Upr Dominick st. There are others too. Whereas I've noticed over the last few years much less in what were neglected areas on the southside: The Bond and Charlemont. Really all on the southside have picked up the game in the last 10years. Not so on the northside though.
    I'm not bringing in junkies or wife beaters (social) into it just (enviromental) cleanliness and general respect for the area. It's better all round now on both sides of Liffey and there have been success stories too on the northside; Seville Pl., Nth Strand, Smithfield/Kings St. But there does still seam to be a hardcore of people with a lack of respect for their own environs on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 karengray

you havnt got a clue what your talking about, every area has their good and bad sides, you can't just pick the northside because you live on the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

karengray wrote: »
    you havnt got a clue what your talking about, every area has their good and bad sides, you can't just pick the northside because you live on the south.

Last post before your one was in 2008.

I reckon the person who made the comments likely doesn't really care anymore.

Closing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement