Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving car after it being idle for a month, something not right!

Options
  • 01-09-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Was away for a month+ so have car was sitting idle in the drive way for a month. Battery was dead so jump started it and went to take it for spin. Disengaged handbrake, put it into reverse and even though on a slopped drive it still wouldnt move. Slowly depressed the accelerator but could still feel resistence until suddenly heard and felt a "pop" and it started moving. Applied brakes and handbrake and they seemed to work ok. While driving it seems sluggish and when breaking it doesnt seem smooth, slightly juddery and can hear and feel the brakes when applied.
    Have i broke something or will a bit of driving iron out the months idleness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Give the brakes a b it of a workout (start off gently), see how things are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

your driving off problem was due to the handbrake pads seizing to the dums ...that's "normal" and does happen.
    That seizing has left a mark on the drums that has to wear off, also there is probably some rust on the inside of the drums and on your brake disks.

This is what you hear making the noise ...it'll wear off.

But, as you say it is sluggish, it could also be a stuck brake cylinder not opening fully any more and therefore slightly applying the brakes all the time.
    Drive for a bit and then check the temperature on all the rims (carefully, might be very hot). If one or more is hotter than the others, then you have a stuck brake, a problem that will need immediate attention by a mechaic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

You could jack up the car with the handbrake off to see which wheel(s) are resisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭highdef

The most likely reason I can think of that explains the gear changes not being great and the car "not feeling right" is that maybe the transmission is relearning your driving style. I have an automatic car (for sale if anyone is interested) with fuzzy logic which basically means that the transmission system "learns" your style of driving. If you are heavy footed, it'll wait longer to change up a gear and it'll change down quicker when slowing. Vice versa if you are light footed. You said that the battery was dead when you tried to start the car so it may be that the transmission is currently relearning your driving behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Never heard that kind of fuzzy logic before...however i did get used to driving 2ltr automatics while away (which i found so much nicer to drive) so might just have to get used to my manual 1.4ltr again. Either that or change car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Scruff wrote: »
    Have i broke something or will a bit of driving iron out the months idleness?

It should sort itself out.
    I'd a car lying idle for 3 months early this year.

The AA had to jump start it, and warned me that the brakes would be shite for a couple of days cos the discs would've oxidised/rusted a little. The brakes definitely were underpowered on the first day, so drive carefully.

I also tried driving with the accelerator down and my foot lightly on the brake to wear it down a little. The engine felt wrong, but it just required a bit of a run in. Was fine given a few days and careful handling.

Advertisement