Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318is coupe struts

Options
  • 01-09-2008 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a 1994 BMW 318is coupe. As I am taking Corners, he car is rocking. I belive the struts are broken. Any idea of costs on this? Or if your a mechanic and want a nixer, let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a 1994 BMW 318is coupe. As I am taking Corners, he car is rocking. I belive the struts are broken. Any idea of costs on this? Or if your a mechanic and want a nixer, let me know

wht do you mean struts ? struts as in shocks/dampers ?? front or rear

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

JoeySully wrote: »
    wht do you mean struts ? struts as in shocks/dampers ?? front or rear

I'm not sure whether its front or rear to be honest. it could even be both as the ride is very uneven. I don't think its the shcoks but I don't know a huge amount about cars. I know if I bring it somewhere, they will suggest getting the shocks done but thats not cheap and from talking to people, it seems to be the struts

chrisp2281 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether its front or rear to be honest. it could even be both as the ride is very uneven. I don't think its the shcoks but I don't know a huge amount about cars. I know if I bring it somewhere, they will suggest getting the shocks done but thats not cheap and from talking to people, it seems to be the struts

if its not a Shock Absorber then whats a STRUT ??

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭chrisp2281

JoeySully wrote: »
    if its not a Shock Absorber then whats a STRUT ??

Thats the thing, I don't know. I don't think they're the same as shocks though from what I've been told. Its something connected to them as far as I know

well i think most people would refer to the rear as the struts and the front as the shocks but then there are some that would call them all struts and some that would call them all shocks so it might get a bit confusing.

i got shocks (struts) from http://www.gsfcarparts.com/
    dublin.north@gsfcarparts.com
    prices then were
    Front gas shocks are €80.52 +vat each
    Front oil shocks are €68.98+vat each

Rear gas shocks are €45.73 +vat each
    Rear oil shocks are €32.01 +vat each

i went with the gas ones total came to €325 delivered.
    the rear ones are easy to fit but the front do take time and you need a few tools and a flat surface and some mechanical know how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@chrisp2281 - that's the third time you ask that question in the last hour or so. Please don't do that again. I'm closing the other one and I've deleted the third one.

You might want to read the charter before you post here again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think you need to bring it to someone competent for diagnosis and repair.

At the moment you're looking for someone cheap to carry out work that someone, who doesn't seem to know what they're talking about, has diagnosed.

There's every liklihood you'll take your car to the cheap guy who'll do the work as requested and your problem won't be solved at all.

Get diagnosis and repair done by the same mechanic, otherwise you'll have no comeback.

Advertisement