Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puzzled by unamed network

Options
  • 01-09-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

I am seeing an unamed network on my vista log in screen. I can connect to it with my eircom1234 5678 name* butit then comes up as eircom 1234 5678 2

It cannot be neighbours can it as I can log into it with my name. I do see neighbours but theu have thei own eircom**** **** number

I have my modem set to non broadcast and have wpa security.neighbours are showing wep so the unamed with wpa must be mine

*sample only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Sometimes networks get the 2 appended to the title when you are using more than 1 type of network or switching between modems. For example if you recently bought a new modem like I did that new network connection is called Boston 2 even though i called it Boston. Seems to be a Vista thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

kmick wrote: »
    Sometimes networks get the 2 appended to the title when you are using more than 1 type of network or switching between modems. For example if you recently bought a new modem like I did that new network connection is called Boston 2 even though i called it Boston. Seems to be a Vista thing.
    I moved house and have a new modem the same as the other -netopia 2247- and I did not install from the new CD but just continued to use the new modem with the software installed for the old, lazy,maybe that is it. I note it does not happen o n my xp pc, Must be a vista thing as you say .Thanks

Can i call my network anything? One nearby is called maryatwork. i would like to call it something that does not identify me

When you say that you have yours set to "non broadcast", do you mean the SSID is set to non broadcast?
    If so then you need to turn of the wireless as well.
    I got the above by email but don't see it here. Do I have to turn wireless off? Then how can i connect wirelessley?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Not at all, ignore that anon post, the WIFI does not have to be turned off.

You can name your network anything you like and I'd recommend you change it from the €ircon set value, enable WPA-PSK encryption and really there is no need to disable the SSID broadcast, if someone is snooping that won't deter them in the least, disabling it could actually cause you to have more disconnects than you'd have with it enabled, all depends on the equipment you are using.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I got the above by email but don't see it here. Do I have to turn wireless off? Then how can i connect wirelessley?

Yes,ignore that.I misread the OP and deleted my post immediately.

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Yes,ignore that.I misread the OP and deleted my post immediately.
    OK no problem;)

Advertisement